CM9 vs J-Frame/LCR for pocket carry

This is a discussion on CM9 vs J-Frame/LCR for pocket carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For pocket carry, do you prefer the .38 special S&W J-frame/LCR or the PM/CM9 series? These seem to be the top contenders for pocket pistols ...

View Poll Results: J-Frame/LCR Revolver vs PM/CM9

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • .38 special revolver

53 60.92%
  • CM9

34 39.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: CM9 vs J-Frame/LCR for pocket carry

CM9 vs J-Frame/LCR for pocket carry

For pocket carry, do you prefer the .38 special S&W J-frame/LCR or the PM/CM9 series?

These seem to be the top contenders for pocket pistols that are > than .380. What are your opinions and why?

2. Remove Ads

I have a Kahr PM9 and a S&W 638. I'm not a fan of either of them for pocket carry, but if I had to choose between them, the PM9 is more comfortable due to it's flat shape. I have muscular thighs, so the cylinder of the J-Frame prints very badly. If I pocket carry, it's a Kahr P380.

Try them both out in person if possible. Everyone's body and dress is different.
    Rollo likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

i have both a Kahr CM-9 and an S&W 642. i have pocket holsters for both.

i've owned the Smith for about 15 years. i always hoped for a 9mm that could be pocket carried, but until the last few years there really weren't any good choices (IMO). i finally bought the Kahr nearly two years ago and have been very happy with it.

642: reliable - no failures of any kind - gun was purchased new. easier to pocket draw (for me). easier to maintain between range visits.

CM-9: reliable - no failures of any kind - gun was purchased new. harder to pocket draw (for me). more powerful caliber. more rounds in gun. i disassemble and clean and re-lube it every couple of months if i haven't shot it in the meantime.

i shoot the CM-9 MUCH better than the 642, and this is the deciding factor.

so the Kahr currently gets about 95% of the pocket carry time. i still carry the S&W every once in a while.
    Last edited by sensei2; February 27th, 2013 at 09:45 PM.

for pocket carry you want to go as light as possible,for me i'd favor the j-frame/lcr over the cm9 for that reason only..

Glockwatcher likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

CM9 for me! I have pocket carried it since I got it a few ago and I'm pleased. No, it's not a LCP sized gun, but IMHO I prefer the 9mm round. Further, the CM9 trigger is very, very smooth and I find this gun to be more accurate than any other small gun I have tried(LCP, bodyguard etc).

Good luck!

My vote was for the cm9. I like having more rounds of 9 and being able to reload easier with a spare mag. I don't think you could go wrong with either but try both at the range and you may find one may offer you more of what you want.

LCR !

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Thanks for this. Great info in that thread.

The ONLY downside I see to a .38 special revolver is needing more than 5 rounds. Unlikely, but possible.

I see you own the LCP as well. What is your opinion on that vs the CM9/LCR?

The LCP is small and light enough to fit in any men's pocket. The CM9 is slightly larger, and significantly heavier. The LCR is only a bit heavier, but larger.

IMHO, size is easier to accommodate in a pocket than weight is. You can always have a tailor deepen a pocket, if necessary - you cannot really do much about the weight of the gun.

The LCP will disappear in a pocket, when carried in a pocket holster with an anti-print panel. It will look like a wallet or smartphone. The LCR hides well also, due to the curved shape.

Most days (while not on duty) I carry a LCR in my right pocket, and a LCP as a secondary in my left pocket. Since I carry two sidearms, I am not concerned about the capacity of the revolver.

Given my experience with small 9's, I'm much happier with the simplicity and reliability of the revolver for the pocket role. I'm actually thinking about buying another LCR, and carrying two of them. If I do, I will still be keeping my two LCPs - those little .380s are just too versatile to go anywhere.

Hope this helps.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I checked out a 642 at my LGS last weekend. My hands are to large for the grip. I also held a 637 which was much better but it was to large for my pocket. I have a PM9 and will stick to it.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    642/442

You don't have to worry about a revolver short cycling if you shoot it through a coat pocket.

Jim

[QUOTEThe ONLY downside I see to a .38 special revolver is needing more than 5 rounds. Unlikely, but possible.

I see you own the LCP as well. What is your opinion on that vs the CM9/LCR?[/QUOTE]

my best gunny friend traded off his 642 and bought an LCP, which became his new EDC gun. after a few more range sessions with the LCP he bought another 642 and resumed EDC carrying the revolver. the LCP was just too small and the sights too tiny for him.

he doesn't carry any spare ammo, though i have tried, without success to get him to do so. well, it's his choice.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I cc'd a taurus 85 for 20 years in a pocket. Changed to a pf-9 some years back then to Kahr cm9 a couple years ago. I will never sell that great old 5 shooter BUT I will never cc it again ether. My cm9 is my main go to pocket pistol but have a tcp 380 for when less will do. Anyone that would say a j frames grip is to small compaired to kahr cm9 is fooling them selfs as there so many different grips of different size up to a larger hogue 3 finger grip that will still fiT a pocket. I just prefer the extra rounds , quicker reload and the flatter in pocket carry of a sun compact pistol over a revolver.

I think either is a good option and it depends on what you like and shoot well.

I have both but the LCR (my wife's) but I do carry it on occasion. I have and CC the CW9 as well. I have about 1800 rounds through both little less with the LCR.

They both have there place and to say one is better than the other is very subjective.

Lets look at it;

Both are small and light.
    Both fit well into a pocket with pocket holster.
    Both come from companies with solid reputations.
    Both with the right ammo are effective defensive handguns.
    Both need to be shot in defensive drill and practiced with to be truly effective in a high stress situation.
    Price is very close between them.

So in conclusion you cannot go wrong with either or both. It is a personal choice and one would be smart to try them if possible see which fits you best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links