Beretta Nano.....

This is a discussion on Beretta Nano..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Review by anybody that owns one? I'm contemplating purchasing one for CC. Thanks...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Beretta Nano.....

Beretta Nano.....

Review by anybody that owns one? I'm contemplating purchasing one for CC.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I handled one today for the first time and must say it looked to be a quality little pistol. Trigger was not bad at all and had a positive reset. If I had not fell in love with the S&W Shield, I would surely consider the Nano.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

carry one 14 hrs a day EVERY DAY,

I have a Beretta Nano and carry it everyday. Originally, I was set on the Glock 26, had my mind set on that pistol for quite some time. I hadn't even heard of or was aware of the Nano until 6 weeks ago. I was looking for a Glock 26, the LGS didn't have one but had the Nano. I handled it felt very good, but because I had never heard of it, I didn't purchase that day, came home and watched a bunch of youtube videos and read a bunch of reviews online. Except for fte issues in early models, it seemed like a solid performer. Well, that one was sold out, so I waited and called everyday for a couple weeks until another came in. In fact, I happen to "feel it," went into the shop and asked if they had a Nano. The owner says yeah just got one in. Another dude there says, ohh I'd like to look at that. And I says to the owner, I'll buy it right now. Great gun. Very concealable (a must where I work), less capacity than the Glock 26 but also $200 less, which is a concern for me. I love this pistol.

I really like my Nano and have zero issues .Picked up an extended magazine , 8+1 in a micro compact 9mm is nice . I like the extra room on the extended mag for my pinky finger :) Very smooth exterior, simple take down, Beretta Quality, you can change your own sights.

Its got that thick Funky look .....

I absolutely love my Nano! Take this with a grain of salt since I've only got about 300 rounds thru it, but so far it's terrific. No failures in that 300 rounds with any ammo. I was prepared for the gun to balk at 115 gr since even Beretta says to use 124 gr or heavier but it's been perfect with everything I've fed it. It's really remarkable how well it shoots. 9mm isn't a heavy recoiling gun, but in a gun as small as the Nano you might expect it to be pretty snappy- but you'd be wrong! It's subjectively more pleasant to shoot (for me) than either my Bersa BP9CC or a Glock 19. Yeah, the Glock has more snap to it.

I find the trigger of the Nano to be really superb. It's long and somewhat heavy, that's true. It's almost like a 2 stage; there's some slack at the beginning, but once you take that up the rest of the pull is quite smooth. It breaks very cleanly. It's obviously patterned on the Glock with a small lever inside the trigger that must be actuated to get the whole trigger to move. But subjectively it feels a lot better than any Glock I've fired (G22 that I owned, G20, 21, 17 & 19 that were either my dad's or range guns).

But I think the grip might be the most remarkable thing about the Nano. It's very short- with my finger in the trigger guard I can only get two fingers on the grip. But hold the gun once and you realize it simply doesn't matter! It's extremely shootable. Something about the texturing and the slight swelling near the mag well makes it very easy to grip securely. Before receiving the gun I ordered some Talon grips, thinking the gun would be difficult to grip securely, but so far I've not bothered to install them. Now I realize feel is subjective, so what works great for me might not work for you. BUT...for me the thing points very, very, very naturally! The "grip angle" that 1911 guys go on and on about might be more important than I'd previously thought. When I bring the Nano up it just magically settles in on target for me. It's a tad top heavy, less so with the mag in the gun.

One thing that probably helped is that I had the gun for several days before I was able to shoot it. In that time I dry fired it hundreds of times. That let me get a good feel for the trigger. When I went shooting with my boss this week he tried it out and only hit paper with one shot from the first mag. He owns a Sig Sauer 1911 with a very nice trigger, and the Nano is very different feel. After a few mags he was getting the hang of it. I actually soundly out-shot him & his 1911 with my Nano (but as I mentioned elsewhere, I've probably put at least 75,000 more rounds thru handguns than he has...).

For carry the thing is great. There are no levers or controls at all on the gun except a trigger and mag release button. Everything is melted/smooth to offer nothing to snag. The lack of a slide release seemed odd on paper, but after running the gun I almost wonder why any gun has one! Everything just works.

Lastly I bought the gun on layaway, so while I paid it off I picked up 2 holsters, a spare six round mag and the Trijicon sights. I was able to install them in about five minutes. They ship with the Allen wrench needed for the job and include the necessary screws (nice since I dropped one of the stock ones and couldn't find it). Just eyeballing the placement it hits almost dead on.

Again, take this as a love letter from a newly minted Nano fanboy! Maybe it will start acting up down the road, but so far it's been 100% reliable. I can't remember the last time I had as much fun shooting a new gun as I have with my Nano. I just wish the panic buyers would let up so I could get more ammo for it!

BTW, I was lucky enough to be at my computer when Beretta got the 8-round mags in stock so I bought one. It should be here by tomorrow!

Re: Beretta Nano.....

Sweet.. Thanks for the input. What model holster did you get Phaedrus? I'm thinking IWB carry

Right now I have an AceCase that's made for pocket carry (nothing special but serviceable) and a kydex one from Zero Concealment Systems (ZCS). It's meant to be carried around the neck. Cool holster, good quality. I'll probably try a couple of other styles from ZCS. Today I ordered a Garrett IWB. It's gonna be about $100 shipped but it's getting great reviews.

I guess that they are either good or junk. Mine is junk. Do a web search on Nano fail to eject, fail to feed, Nano problems. You will find that I am not alone. I went to the Beretta forum to find a solution and was talked down to like I was an idiot, and it was my fault. Every excuse in the book why it didn't preform. I was using junk ammo,(that worked in all my other guns). I was using ammo that was too light,( 115 and 124Gr), I was limp wristing it, ( I was a mechanic for 30 years, my wrists are not limp, and my Glocks work just fine).

The factory representative on their web site insists that the gun is good, the owner is bad. There was a 15 page thread begging Beretta to fix the Nano. the moderator got tired of it and closed the thread. Some say to send it back to the factory, but I don't know that I want to send good money after bad, or how much I would trust it once I got it back.

If you do get one, I wish you good luck. I would not sell mine, just because I could not do that in good conscious.
    Glockwatcher likes this.

DB,

If you don't like it, why wouldn't you sell it? Do you have an earlier model? I think the fte issues have been worked out with the more recent production runs because I haven't seen any new owners mention the fte problems like I saw on youtube. If it were me, I would send it back to the factory or sell it. I play guitar: If I buy a geetar that I liked in the store but later can't seem to bond with, I sell that thing. Same with guitar effects pedals. And the same with firearms: If I ever get one I don't like, I'll take the small loss and move on to something else. I wouldn't feel bad about it either.
    Cokeman and Smilinswordsman like this.

My wife chose the nano after handing about every compact firearm available. She fell in love with the feel and comfort. However our first time to the range we experienced about 6 ffe issues (all with 115gr) and left very discouraged. When I got home I hit the google and came across all of the ffe problems people were reporting. I then picked up some 124 gr defense ammo for our next test and out of 75 rounds we had zero issues. Since then we have ran about 250 random rounds through it and only had occasional issues with the 115gr. I think they are becoming less frequent. As long it never experiences a problem with the higher grain defense ammo then I feel comfortable with carrying it daily. My wife is in love with it. She shoots my glock and lc9 as well as my brothers mp9 and kel tek pf9 and still likes her nano. Some semi's are finicky with cheap ammo and the nano fits that bill but I have no doubts that when loaded with a quality round of defense ammo it will go bang every time. To me that is what's most important and not what gun will shoot the cheapest ammo consistently.

Beretta Nano.....

I have a Nano and so far put about 650rd through it. For the first 100rd I had a couple FTEject. I called those break-in malfunctions...? Then on through to the 500rd mark I've had no problems. The other day I went and put 150rd through and got a couple FTExtract early on. I then remembered I hadn't cleaned it since I bought it. After a quick wipe down no more problems. From this experience I'm guessing it'll function till it gets dirty around the 500rd mark. Note that I've only shot Speer Lawman 147gr and about 50rd of Speer Gold Dot 147gr around the 300rd mark.

At purchase I bought 3 6rd mags. On the way home I ordered a rubberized Talon Grip. Around 300rd I bought 5 8rd mags. Then around 400rd I bought a Crimson Trace LaserGuard. Now that I feel pretty confident with it I ordered a Crossbreed MiniTuck.

The only thing I'm having trouble with getting used to the long heavy trigger pull. Other than that I think this is a very capable little pistol!!! I'm happy with my purchase!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tele_pathic View Post
    DB,

If you don't like it, why wouldn't you sell it? Do you have an earlier model? I think the fte issues have been worked out with the more recent production runs because I haven't seen any new owners mention the fte problems like I saw on youtube. If it were me, I would send it back to the factory or sell it. I play guitar: If I buy a geetar that I liked in the store but later can't seem to bond with, I sell that thing. Same with guitar effects pedals. And the same with firearms: If I ever get one I don't like, I'll take the small loss and move on to something else. I wouldn't feel bad about it either.
    It is unreliable. It comes down to the golden rule. I wouldn't want someone to unload their problem gun on me, so .....

I have a Nano, but don't have a lot of time shooting it. So far it's burned through everything I've put through it with the exception of cheap federal 115g walmart ammo. I had 3 Failure to extract on the first mag of federal 115g I ran through it. The rest of the 50 rnd box went through flawlessly. It even fed some 9mm Spanish surplus ammo that my dad gave me, there was very little markings on the box so I don't know what the grain details were but it shot well. I would really like to find some more 9mm ammo somewhere and spend more time shooting it. I think with quality PD ammo its a great gun at this point. I wouldn't carry the cheap stuff anyway but I would like to get more rounds through it to feel better about it, which is part of the reason my glock 27 gets most of the attention at this point.

I said this in another thread, but for IWB carry holster I highly recommend checking out the Concealed Solutions Black Mamba Micro. The fit and finish is excellent, it's compact and the nano disappears in it. Price is reasonable, although not the cheapest. I got the holster in less than a week. Worth every penny IMO. I have one for both the Glock and Nano.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links