Colt M1991 A1 question

Colt M1991 A1 question

This is a discussion on Colt M1991 A1 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ran across one of these in great condition. Compact and 45 cal. Any thoughts? Would cost me less than 675.00...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By WC145
  • 3 Post By WC145

Thread: Colt M1991 A1 question

Distinguished Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar

Colt M1991 A1 question

Ran across one of these in great condition. Compact and 45 cal. Any thoughts? Would cost me less than 675.00

Must be a Commander length pistol. Any decent M1991 Commander is probably worth $800 on today's market. If it's one of the more uncommon limited edition shorty versions than it'll knock a hole in a thousand dollar bill.

Make certain it is mechanically unfooled with. Nitwits are known to put their mitts all over 1911 guns. If it's been fooled with then $400 might not be a bargain. I'd want to buy it cheap if it's been monkeyed with.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

bmc gives excellent 1911 advice. It isn't a plug and play gun, but the proliferation of "drop in" parts on the market make some owners want to bubba them up. Browning designed the gun before mass production practices, most parts require fitting and when people start switching parts you get into stacking tolerances; reliable guns become less reliable. A stock 1991 at that price is a deal, a "custom" becomes a question mark unless done by someone knowledgable.

The older(and wiser, hopefully)I've become, the more I realize that the above statements are true. If the gun works..don't mess with it! Want to change stocks(grips) or sights... fine. Otherwise LEAVE IT ALONE, especially a 1911. I spent a TON getting a 1st yr production Colt OM to shoot HP ammo. If I had to do it again..I would have purchased another Colt Gov't Model instead. There's my $.02.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member
    I've had that model for about 20 years now and it's been as dependable a sunrise. It tends to not like HP's so I don't feed it HP's. Ball ammo in the 45 is just fine. To a previous post, I've changed the grips and the sights and that's all. Yeah, it's got a plastic trigger. That kind of bothered me 20 years ago. When I pull my plastic trigger it goes bang and then it cycles. I'd pay that price if it's solid.

I bet the guy that sold it to me back then is still crying about that day. It's a keeper. I know that my son loves me but he's waiting for me to die so he can have it. That one in particular. I plan on making him wait.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Must be a Commander length pistol. Any decent M1991 Commander is probably worth $800 on today's market. If it's one of the more uncommon limited edition shorty versions than it'll knock a hole in a thousand dollar bill.
    The 1991A1 Compact is not a Commander, it's the same size as an Officers ACP, basically a less expensive version with a parkerized finish, polymer trigger, etc. Great guns, I carry a highly customized example, expect it to act like an Officers and any of the usual cautions or upgrades that are common to them would go ditto for the Compact.

The early ORM 1991A1s can be terrific bargains and make excellent starting points for custom builds. In addition to my Compact I have a full size .38 Super that is out getting worked over now (in addition to other work it's being fitted with 9mm and 9x23 barrels) and I just bought a Novak built Commander, picking that one up Tuesday, can't wait!

This is my 1991A1 Compact-
    bmcgilvray and blitzburgh like this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

WC145, Please post up some pics of that new Novak.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Will do. Hopefully the weather won't be too bad and I can take it out back and put a few rounds through it.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Yeah, I picked one up for $399 +tax when they first came out. Loved it! It was a sweet shooter and I wish I still had it. I don't remember the trigger being polymer though; I thought it was steel. Maybe the smith who sold it to me swapped it out. I know he threw in a feed ramp polish job with the price. Nice pistol.

Distinguished Member
    Wc145. What is the finish on that 1991? With that finish and those stocks that thing is drop dead gorgeous. I'd be hard pressed to carry something that good looking unless I was in a tux. Wow.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Wc145. What is the finish on that 1991? With that finish and those stocks that thing is drop dead gorgeous. I'd be hard pressed to carry something that good looking unless I was in a tux. Wow.
    It's just really highly polished and blued, kind of like Colt's royal blue. I wasn't sure how it would look when I had it refinished, but it came out real nice.

Here it is. It's in excellent shape (never carried, only 250rds through it and packed away in a safe since '99!) and shoots great, excellent action, very nice, subtle carry bevel. This one might replace my Compact for general off duty carry. It was a package deal, got the gun plus a holster, two double mag pouches, a few Safariland magazine belt clips, a range bag, a gun rug, and, get this, 31(!!!) loaded mags! It had a Hogue wrap around grip on it, can't stand those, I put on a set of Alumagrips until I decide on something else.

Mr. Novak did nice work; all business. Odd the previous owner stayed with the original sights with all the other mods that were done. Love the classic ring hammer too.

Mr. Novak did nice work; all business. Odd the previous owner stayed with the original sights with all the other mods that were done. Love the classic ring hammer too.
    Yeah, it's a nice piece, it has the right feel in the hand. When you pick it up you go, "Hmmmm, niiiiice", and you can tell its done right. I thought the same thing about the sights. You'd think that if you send a gun to Novak, new sights would be a no brainer.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links