Which is better? - Page 2

Which is better?

This is a discussion on Which is better? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll take the .357 mag...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which is better?

I'll take the .357 mag
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Depends. If I anticipate a close-in, bad-breath, single mugger business- the J frame with hot CorBon 125 gr loads. Press to the torso, and get some use out of the muzzle blast.

In an NPE, where groups of two+ BG s are the norm, the PPK with reloads.

Sorry, but the, "if you run out of ammo, you're in too deep" stuff is crap. Anybody here diabetic, have a heart condition, high BP, etc.? Do you carry extra medication when you travel? Life should not be valued by the lowest common denominator.

I got both also with extra mag and speedloader.
    Get both...you'll be glad you did...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Sorry, but the, "if you run out of ammo, you're in too deep" stuff is crap. Anybody here diabetic, have a heart condition, high BP, etc.? Do you carry extra medication when you travel? Life should not be valued by the lowest common denominator.
    amen brother.

Senior Moderator
    Rob, I carry 2 reloads for each pistol, that's 15 rounds .357 or 24 .380. That's what I meant be not enough ammo. If you ever catch me carrying without a reload then

VIP Member
    I'd carry a 625 so I had a club in case I missed 6 times; which, isn't likely.

LaP
    I've carried a Bersa .380 with 102gr. Golden Sabers and I've carried my S&W642 with Gold Dots or Golden Sabers. I'm very comfortable with both.
    I plan on moving while shooting....getten outta Dodge!

Administrator
    I hate to be a fence sitter but, I have carried both and do not feel naked with either.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Falsemap View Post
    Would you feel more comfortable with 7 shots of .380 (PPK) or 5 shots of .38/.357 (snubby)?
    Would depend on the specific gun. .357, obviously, all else being equal. But all else isn't, for everyone.

I carry a .380 as backup, and not a .357. I'm much, much faster with reloads, can reliably strike targets with the .380 in a way that I cannot with a revolver. Sure, some of that is training time, but for me (in training) a snubbie .357 simply doesn't result in the on-target lead that a semi-auto does.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

With two guns that close, I'd choose the one with the higher capacity and faster, idiot-proof reload.

I think that people here (myself included) sometimes have too high of confidence in their shooting skills during a real situation. I've seen a couple videos and heard of multiple stories of gun battles occurring at distances as short as across the hood of a car with no one hitting anything.

The truth is, when in your first couple of gun battles, we all lose our focus and hit air more than anything. In such a situation, I want the gun that gives me more chances.

Not that I don't like the revolver...carried one for a long while. But the difference between 380 and 38 is neglible, so give more, faster.

which one I shoot the best regardless of the caliber

My vote is for the snubbie...slightly better ballistics, simpler operation and greater dependability.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Sorry, but the, "if you run out of ammo, you're in too deep" stuff is crap. Anybody here diabetic, have a heart condition, high BP, etc.? Do you carry extra medication when you travel?
    In two places: one bottle on me, and one in the luggage. Yes, for the same reason: the one bottle's worth might not do the job ... in the case of the pills, if they get lost; in the case of the bullets, in case they miss. "Crap"? Not to those who miss. And studies into what the stressors do to actual shooting ability strongly suggest that one cannot simply rely on a given bullet to strike the target. Ostensibly well-trained police officers miss all the time, in actual shootouts. While I may or may not be as successful if it came down to it, would I be willing to bet my life on that hope (that one load of bullets would suffice)? Absolutely not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Not to start a flame war, but just how much ammo is enough when it comes to a self-defense, concealed carry weapon? Is the ammo already in your gun enough, what about a reload, or how about a spare box or maybe two?

My two primary carry guns hold 11 & 14 rds respectively. I also carry an extra magazine for each in case of a malfunction or lost/dropped mag, which means I have 22-28 shots available to me. For a compact, concealed carry gun, that's a lot of ammunition, even when compared to most full size guns. Even the LEO's I know seldom carry more than 2 spare magazines for their duty guns unless they already KNOW they are going into a possible gun fight.

I'm not an LEO and do not plan on spending time in Iraq or any other war zone. Consider the statistics showing that aside from the rare LEO shootout, fewer than a half dozen rounds are fired by both sides - in total - in the VAST MAJORITY (I've read stats that say well in excess of 90% for non-gang related shootings) of gunfights. If you carry a loaded gun for protection and carry a reload, it would seem that would be more than enough unless you plan to get into a gang war. I really believe that's the true meaning behind the comment that "if it takes more than... and you run out of ammo...", not that you should never be prepared with a backup or alternatives.

I think we are often too judgemental of other peoples personal choices, especially if they don't fall in line with our own opinions. Whether someone has a single, 5 shot .38, or carries around a 15 round semi-auto in .45 ACP and 4 extra magazines, we should applaud everyone who's willing to carry any weapon for personal defense, period. At least they are not acting like waiting to be led to the slaughter.
    Last edited by rachilders; November 2nd, 2006 at 02:57 PM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I only carry revolvers. Today it's a 617 7 shot 357 (back pocket), 605 5 shot 357 (IWB), SP101 5 shot 357 (front pocket). 2 6 shot speed strips for reload. Benchmade Knife, Pepperspray, and a Streemlight Flashlight.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links