Which is better?

This is a discussion on Which is better? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went through the same sort of decision. My primary CCW is now my Baer Stinger, but my alternate, and primary for years is a ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which is better?

I went through the same sort of decision. My primary CCW is now my Baer Stinger, but my alternate, and primary for years is a SIG 230 in .380 (7+1).

The 230/232 conceals well, is accurate, and reliable. I never felt “under gunned” with the .380. I don’t worry so much about the capacity as I do the concealability, comfort, and how well the gun shoots for me.

I also only carry the rounds in my gun and one spare mag, and the spare mag is for malfunctions. I’m a “break contact and run away” kind of guy these days.

Chuck

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Don't even have to think about it - 5 shots of .38/.357.

I really value all of the comments on this thread. You are all helping me to make my decision on which to carry. I do shoot the .380 well. The higher capacity and the faster reload are also a plus. Easier to conceal and comfortable foe all day carry. I't's also good to know that most of you don't feel undergunned with a .380. I like the reliability of the revo and the greater power of the .38+p. Like someone said I may carry the PPK in the Summer and the snubby in the Winter.

5 of 38/357

Senior Moderator
    Falsemap,

Just a word of caution. The internet is the internet. I don't know of a single reputable shooting school (and I've been to a bunch of them) that would recommend a .380 as a SD weapon.

Sure, a .380 will kill, a .22 will kill, but how long will it take? It really doesn't count if they die two hours later. If you have to shoot someone to save your life, you want to stop them as effectively as possible.

A .45 ACP fails frequently, as do all other major handgun rounds, why would you want to pick one of the least effective rounds? I can answer that - convenience.

Too many times, "we" pick guns because of convenience rather than the gun we'd want to have if we became involved in a gunfight. SD ain't about convenience and carry comfort, it's about stopping the fight effectively. It's not about what will eventually kill someone, it's about what will stop someone before they can hurt you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Sure, a .380 will kill, a .22 will kill, but how long will it take?
    Can't shoot what you don't have on you. Some guns are simply too big for all situations, clothing, modes of carry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

i like both and carry either/or on off duty

Senior Moderator
    Like I said I carry both. I like my snubbie becuase it is easier for me to conceal I shoot 38+P's for controlibility. I also carry a .380 when I can or if I feel I might need the extra firepower. I believe you will be well served by both so buy both.
    Last edited by pgrass101; November 3rd, 2006 at 09:55 AM.

Unless you're only wearing a Speedo, you can always conceal a j-frame. I'd take the reliability and flexibility of the snubbie. Just be sure you try shooting .357 out of it before buying.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Can't shoot what you don't have on you. Some guns are simply too big for all situations, clothing, modes of carry.
    That's true, but how does it help if the gun you have doesn't stop the attack before they get to you?

It's a matter of priority. Either we carry a gun to effectively defend ourselves or we skimp on the gun in order to wear the clothing we want to. If I have to shoot somebody, I want it to be an effective round with a proven track record rather than a gun that fits my clothes and a poor stopping track record.

I'm with Tangle on this.
    I used to carry a Walther PPK, but now prefer .38/.357 j frame or kimber cdp .45

I still love to shoot the PPK and think it's a great gun, but I don't consider .380 an effective defense round.

Just my opinion - ymmv.

5 for sure with more power. The British secret service dumped there PPKS some 3-4 decades ago for jamming on a few Royal Family protection roles. They went to the SW J-frame. I don,t know what they use today. Go with the wheel, I had 3 ppks and a pp all would jam now and then. While 95 some percent that was not good enough. A well made gun the ppk and pp series,but not100%.

Senior Moderator
    You ever notice that there no LE in America, well that I know of, issue a .380 cal. pistol? But .38 spcl and .357 mags are still carried by some. There's a good reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    You ever notice that there no LE in America, well that I know of, issue a .380 cal. pistol? But .38 spcl ... are still carried by some. There's a good reason for that.
    .357 notwithstanding, for obvious reasons, with .380 vs .38 spl what would that "good reason" be, if relative speed, energy numbers are so similar?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

.38/.357; no offense to the .380, but I have more experience with the .38 and .357, and I trust them to do the job.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links