Which is better?

This is a discussion on Which is better? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would you feel more comfortable with 7 shots of .380 (PPK) or 5 shots of .38/.357 (snubby)?...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which is better?

Which is better?

Would you feel more comfortable with 7 shots of .380 (PPK) or 5 shots of .38/.357 (snubby)?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    its a toss up , either will get the job done , and the auto is slimmer for carry . The revolver will be more dependable with less matinince .. You just have to select for your skill set , and prioritys .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    Well my two Carry guns are a Taurus 605 and a Makarov 380. I generaly carry the Taurus because it is much easier to conceal. Last night I carried the Mak (8+1) for the extra firepower. I am comfortable with both, but like being able to miss more and faster with the Mak than my 605. Plus the Mak is easier to reload.

I'd carry either. Although, I'd prefer the auto, but it's just a personal preference.

I like my airweight 642 snub for pocket carry. I have nothing against the ppk it just seems a little big for pocket carry which is how I like to carry little guns. IWB carry could be a differnt story though.

To parrot everyone else, it's personal preference. Although for me, I'd carry the PPK during the summer (slimmer profile for CCW) and the subbie during the winter months. I think I could argue that .38 can possibly penetrate deeper against heavier clothing, but to be honest, I just don't want the snubby to sit on my shelf and feel neglected

The snubby carries better for me in a pocket, and ballistically .38 wins out over .380 so I'd chose the snubby.

on a side note, is it 6+1 or 7+1?

I personally prefer the automatic b/c it's slimmer, higher capacity, and reloads faster.

Senior Moderator
    Well to add to this debate, someone on this forum said "If I shoot all of the ammo that I carry then either I don't need more or more won't do me any good" That's they way I feel most of the time about my snubbie.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Well to add to this debate, someone on this forum said "If I shoot all of the ammo that I carry then either I don't need more or more won't do me any good" That's they way I feel most of the time about my snubbie.
    +1+ to that. I don't normally carry a revolver, but that goes for my auto's as well. If I've fired my 10 or 15 rounds and still find I need more, what I REALLY need is to be someplace else!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Administrator
    I'd go with whatever I shoot better with. I think the .357 is a better choice for self defense, but if I couldn't hit anything what good would it do me?
    The capacity doesn't bother me much, most civilian gun fights are one to two shots anyway.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 1st, 2006 at 04:45 PM.

I think .38 trumps 380.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

6+1 for PPK, 7+1 for PPK/S.
    I'd go with the PPK personally...

What Do YOU Like?...

I would prefer the auto first...
    Some feel better with the 'wheel'...
    Your choice will vary...

Be comfortable...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As much as I like a semi-auto for carry, in these caliber choices, I would have to go with the revolver. Versatility of ammunition in both 38 special and 357 mag., dependability of function, even in a short barrel the 357mag is going to give better down range energy than the 380., and if the bullet don't do the trick, the muzzle blast will get'em every time...LOL. I shoot my Ruger 2" SP-101 much better than I do my KelTec 380. I can reload it almost as fast and accuracy is far superior.

JMHO.....from many rounds down range.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links