Got m&p40c is getting the full size worth it?

This is a discussion on Got m&p40c is getting the full size worth it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I got the 40c and absolutely love it easy to conceal, shoots great, fits my hand... But I got the gun bug, been thinking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Got m&p40c is getting the full size worth it?

Got m&p40c is getting the full size worth it?

So I got the 40c and absolutely love it easy to conceal, shoots great, fits my hand... But I got the gun bug, been thinking about a shield but I can't see that much of a difference. In Indiana you can open carry so I was thinking maybe getting the full size m&p. I really like the higher capacity mags but is it worth it?

2. Remove Ads

Really the big differences will be the larger capacity mags which also increases the grip length, larger sight radius but heaver which will reduce recoil kick.
    Another option to capacity is to get full size mags and use them in your compact. There are two grip extensions that mount on the mags.
    Amazon.com: X-Grip Mag Spacer Black S&W M&P SWMP: Sports & Outdoors
    and
    Amazon.com: A&G Products GRIP EXTENDER FOR GLK 26/27 W/GLK 19/23 (19023): Sports & Outdoors (this is a Glock one but they do make them for the M&P)

I have the A&G extensions on some full size mags for my 40c. The up side is that you have a full grip. The down side is it has a pinch point the is in the palm of your hand when popping an new mag into the gun. I minimized this by beveling the extension top so it's not two square edges coming together. (done with a palm sander)

I lucked into 4- full size, 15 round, mags when I bought my 40c in January.
    oneshot likes this.

I went the other way and had my FS 9 first and then got a 9c. I love them both. Usually carry the 9c but sometimes carry the FS

Distinguished Member
    I have the m&p 40c, its a great gun, I like it - my fiance loves it, it will never leave us. I have found the compact to be a little small for my liking but I will one day add a full size, prob 9mm.

I say absolutely its worth it - more guns, more capacity, familiar platform. I say go for it.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

M&ps are addictive. Im contemplating a shield right now. I have the 9c.

I have both a c and a FS, they're both great shooters and I frequently carry the compact. Never tried carrying the FS, but I know there are people that do, usually either OWB or in a shoulder rig so it is doable. As far as getting another, I mean if you can find one and have the spare cash why not? M&Ps are just like Glocks to me, you can never have enough! I like having both since I can keep my full size set up with a light and extended magazines as a dedicated HD gun and the compact as a dedicated carry gun. The X Grips provided a nice option to use the full size mags in the compact and work well, the only issue I have with them is that they slide off very easily.

I have the Shield and FS in 40.....and I'm trying to decide if I can slip a compact by the wife.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I see it as a good reason to buy another gun!
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I started with a full size M&P9, it's now my wife's. I wanted something that we both could shoot. Then I bought (a month later) my 40c. The FS shoots great. I went 40 for the second so I had more power against animals while hiking, compact for CC, and a second caliber for ammo availability versatility.

yes, its worth it. M&P's are great guns. My service .40 model will join the other two when I get it out of layaway in the next couple of weeks.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

"Worth it" is a question of relative cost.

Owning a compact and a full size makes sense, to me. Many holsters and accessories will work for both models. Full size mags will fit in either. Many spare parts work in either. All of this makes support more cost effective. As others have mentioned, the full size will also be more controllable, which makes it more effective. I would suggest grabbing the full size whenever it is an option, and reserving the compact for when you can't have the full size (example: maybe Summer CCW).

I know more than a few guys who swear by the M&P 40. Outstanding pistol.
    Currently own: Beretta PX4 9mm, Glock 23 (Gen 4), Glock 19 (Gen 4) x2

I have both, the weight difference alone is worth it to me, (well both of mine are 9mm) but my shield is my carry and my 4.25 is my target shooter. I have had my loaded 4.25 on my hip and is a lot to carry daily!

Thanks for the thoughts, something tells me I might as well get a bigger safe because I'm gonna need the space.

I would get it. I carry a full size glock 22 in the cold months and my ruger SR40C when it is warmer. Its easy to hide a fullsize under a large coat. As far as open carry goes, the the fullsize will suffice if that is your thing.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

My 40c with a 15 round mag and A&G (modified) grip extension.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links