CZ 83 browning 9 cal "380" Decent pistol???

This is a discussion on CZ 83 browning 9 cal "380" Decent pistol??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the LGS today poking around for the wife a carry pistol. Looked at all the usual suspects in 9mm, 40 cal. Then spotted a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CZ 83 browning 9 cal "380" Decent pistol???

At the LGS today poking around for the wife a carry pistol. Looked at all the usual suspects in 9mm, 40 cal. Then spotted a CZ83 380. While I know the 380 isnt exactly the Hammer of Thor, the wife is with me 99 percent of the time when she goes out, and I carry 40 cal in high cap or larger. This pistol is mostly to serve as her carry in a backup roll to mine when we are out. And as a on her hip pistol at home all the time, to get her to the sks 12 ga etc if need be.
    The size isnt an issue. She always wears a fanny pack anyway when we are out so switching to a holster type one is no big deal.

Question. Anybody have one of these pistols? Ive searched and read some good things on them but thought I would check here before I get it.

I can get this one for 250.00 with 10 round mag used but in good condition.
    Never owned CZ so dont know much about them or the prices.
    Are they reliable for the most part? And is that a decent price for gun?? Thanks much
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

hey ghost, i live in ky also! i am a cz guy. i think that would be a decent price nowadays, if it is in good shape
    Ghost1958 likes this.

CZs are overall solid guns, and generally underappreciated here in the US. Reliable as the day is long. If memory serves me correctly, the 83 can be carried either hammer down on a chambered round, or cocked and locked - a nice advantage.

$250 is an attractive price. New 83s sell for well over $400. I would start looking for a couple of spare magazines if the gun only has one. Mec-Gar (OEM mag supplier for CZ) has nothing in stock right now but you might be able to backorder some from one of their distributors.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Cool Batcat. At least they arent hammer us here with all the anti stuff state level yet

GasSmitty, or Batcat, the store guy and what I read might be wrong but can you get a CZ83 new now? I was led to believe they dont import this gun im looking at anymore???? Or can you get them new now?

And yeah on this one the safety cant be engaged with the hammer down in DOA mode but can be in cocked and locked mode by design.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I know bud's in lexington did have them for around 425. im pretty sure you can still order one, but i know as of last weekend they were out of them. what part of ky you from ghost?

According to the CZ-USA website, the CZ83 was disco'ed in 2012.

I have a CZ82 which is basically the same gun except chambered in 9mm Makarov, and it is a very solid and reliable pistol for the money spent. I think I paid a little over $200 for a Czech police surplus gun. In my opinion...for what you're looking to spend, I think it would be a good little gun to acquire. We all know that .380 is really at the lower end of what is normally considered as a defensive round but as you say...if its for your wife and she is comfortable holding it and seems willing to purchase it, then go for it. CZ makes a very dependable gun and I see no reason why not.

They can be carried in DA/SA or cocked and locked with an ambi thumb safety...however...they do not have a decocker.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The -83 is being discontinued. You sure about the 10-rd mag?

I have the CZ-82 (9mm Mak) and to me it's my most fun gun to shoot. Ambi-safety, ambi-mag release, 12 + 1 capacity (Have heard that 13 .380s will fit), soft recoil, uber reliable; what's not to like? Well, being all metal, it's heavier than plastics, but that helps on the recoil end.

Field strip is a piece of cake. Detail strip not so much, but it can be done.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by batcat View Post
    I know bud's in lexington did have them for around 425. im pretty sure you can still order one, but i know as of last weekend they were out of them. what part of ky you from ghost?
    East of Lex in the Carter Caves State Park area Bat.

So you can still get them new. Understood. Ill look this one over again tomorrow. Id rather have gone 9mm for her but due to my son doing some trading the 40 she was packing is gone now so need to get her something and the pickens right now are sort of slim unless you want to put a grand into pistol unless its a 22. Her being unarmed around the house isnt an option and the sks is a bit much to pack around

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    CZ-USA might still have CZ83-82 hi-caps.

One has to look for the crossed swords on those mags and then you know they are REALLY good.

I carried a CZ83 for a couple of Summer before CZ offered the RAMI.

Other than caliber, the gun was equally as good as any CZ or Glock I had at the time.

Low recoil with some loads made it easy to shoot and hit very rapidly.

Action in both DA and SA is splendid on most specimens.

Thanks for all the info folks. Sounds like its a reliable gun then. I know the blow back design will probably recoil a bit more but she isnt recoil sensitive up to a 40 sw which she can shoot fine just not as instantly back on target as with a 9mm.

Yeah the mag in this one is a 10 rounder. The reason its low priced as it is is that the PO painted the grips for some reason. they arent cracked I guess he thought new shiny black would make it trade better I dont know.
    If I really dicker with the shop owner I might get it for 225.00 Maybe 200 I have gotten him down 50 bucks on a sw40ve last month so guess I can haggle again LOL. Ill run back in tomorrow and let yall know if I got it or not. Thanks much for the info

VIP Member
    $250 is a decent price. The CZ83 was introduced as the civilian version of the CZ82. Only difference was caliber selection and shape of the trigger guard. It's a bit heavier than most .380 due to being all metal and double stack magazine. The CZ82 9 Makarov magazines are interchangeable with it and can be had cheaper than factory new mags. If you get it for her and she wants to dress it up some, check the site below for wood grips.

Marschalgrips.com
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    My one comment about the CZ is that it has no decocker. As mentioned, it can be carried hammer down or cocked, either way the safety would be on probably. That's not a feature I'm drawn to personally. Were I looking for a CZ83 to carry, I'd want it in 9mm mak, just because it had a polygonal barrel, which I like. The .32 and .380 have conventional barrels. It's a competent gun, accurate and reliable, with a pretty nice trigger.

I know "pickins' are slim", but IMHO, two other guns that are superior to the CZ are the Beretta 84/85 and the Bersa Thunder Plus. Both give you less weight, higher capacity magazines, better grip, are in current production, are better or equal quality. At least worth a look.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    My one comment about the CZ is that it has no decocker. As mentioned, it can be carried hammer down or cocked, either way the safety would be on probably. That's not a feature I'm drawn to personally. Were I looking for a CZ83 to carry, I'd want it in 9mm mak, just because it had a polygonal barrel, which I like. The .32 and .380 have conventional barrels. It's a competent gun, accurate and reliable, with a pretty nice trigger.

I know "pickins' are slim", but IMHO, two other guns that are superior to the CZ are the Beretta 84/85 and the Bersa Thunder Plus. Both give you less weight, higher capacity magazines, better grip, are in current production, are better or equal quality. At least worth a look.
    The CZ83 was not chambered in 9 Makarov, it was either .32 ACP or .380. The CZ82 is the one chambered in 9 Mak.

On a side note, just saw CZ has discontinued the CZ83.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The CZ83 was not chambered in 9 Makarov, it was either .32 ACP or .380. The CZ82 is the one chambered in 9 Mak.

On a side note, just saw CZ has discontinued the CZ83.
    For clarity sake... that is not correct. The CZ83 was also chambered in 9mm mak, and was in production up until a few years ago. Google it.

CZ still sells the barrel.
    http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-0330094001/.aspx

CZ 83

If you can get that gun in nice shape for $225, it will be a bargain. Considered to be solid and super dependable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links