What handgun should I buy next?

This is a discussion on What handgun should I buy next? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I'm looking for suggestions for what gun I should purchase next. Here is my current stable of guns: -glock 22. It's my home ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What handgun should I buy next?

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for what gun I should purchase next. Here is my current stable of guns:

-glock 22. It's my home defense gun
    -glock 23.
    -Kahr CM9-the gun that is getting the most carry time
    -S&W .38 special

Guns on my radar:

-Springfield XDs...I don't have a .45 acp
    -S&W Shield 9
    -glock 27... It would finish my "glock trio". Not sure how much easier it would be to carry than my 23
    -Bodyguard, LCP, etc. a smaller pocket pistol for the few times my CM9 is too big for pocket carry
    -Sig P238 or P938. I like how they look nd feel, but totally new platform for me...could be fun

My budget is $800 and under. What would you get next?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

What about an LC9? That is a pocketable pistol and although is is a little bigger than the LCP it also fires a much more powerful round. I don't consider .380 to be powerful enough for carry personally so I will never own a .380 unless it is a Walther PPK for my collection. The G27 is smaller than the G23 but not by much. The Shield is a great gun, but very hard to find for anything approaching MSRP and really isn't much smaller than the M&P9c. I put a deposit down on a Shield, but after handling and firing the 9c I changed my mind (dealer rolled my deposit into the purchase of the 9c), plus the capacity can be as much as double the Shield and it is only about 3oz heavier.

Ruger Super Redhawk.

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Well, you need a minimum of two concealable handguns, which you have. You're appear to be lacking in long-arms, so I'd suggest a pump shotgun in 12 gauge (20 gauge if you are recoil sensitive) and then maybe a defensive rifle, after the prices drop a bit. Actually, with your budget you should be able to pick up the shotgun now, then I'd start looking for a decent SKS, or a Marlin lever gun in .357 mag (that will give you ammo compatibility with your .38 special).

Perhaps an even better approach would be to buy a good used pump shotgun and put the rest of the money into training.
    RookWV likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I like the idea of the XDs....something in 45ACP.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

You specified handgun, so I'll stay away from long gun recommendations.

Looking at what you already have - you've got a full-size .40, a compact .40, a sub-compact 9, and a .38 snub. Size-wise, I think you have the range covered from belt carry to pocket carry.

The "holes" I see in your battery are at both the light and heavy ends of the power range. You really need a .22 for fun, training and skill maintenance, and you need something more powerful than .40 at the other end. Although I'm a .45 fan, that round doesn't offer a quantum leap in power or downrange effectiveness over the .40; I'm thinking you need a .357 magnum revolver or possibly a big-bore like a .44. Barring specific recommendations for now, those areas are where I'd be looking to expand your collection.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I would save that $800 or add to it until production catches up and craziness dies down and I would go either AR, AK, M1A1 Car, Mini/Thirty, or you could go full on battle rifle FN FAL, PTR-91, HK, M1A, M1 Garand - (CMP - field grade $525, service grade $625 these things aren't going to be available forever), etc. You are missing a big capability in range/firepower without a rifle. I'm not a big shotgun fan myself, but that is another option and less expensive.

The other direction would be a .22; either HG or rifle so that you could actually get a bunch of range time in on the cheap. $800 would also get you in an excellent class or two with ammo to boot.

While these two suggestions are a bit different, it's what I did when I was in a similar dilemma. Ruger LCR 357 and XDs.45
    NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Well, you need a minimum of two concealable handguns, which you have. You're appear to be lacking in long-arms, so I'd suggest a pump shotgun in 12 gauge (20 gauge if you are recoil sensitive) and then maybe a defensive rifle, after the prices drop a bit. Actually, with your budget you should be able to pick up the shotgun now, then I'd start looking for a decent SKS, or a Marlin lever gun in .357 mag (that will give you ammo compatibility with your .38 special).

Perhaps an even better approach would be to buy a good used pump shotgun and put the rest of the money into training.
    I should have been more clear about what guns I have. The guns I listed are just my handguns. I have six shotguns including a pump 12 gauge. I also own 4 hunting rifles and one Mini 30 with high capacity magazines.

I'm really looking for a handgun, but can't decide which one.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You specified handgun, so I'll stay away from long gun recommendations.

Looking at what you already have - you've got a full-size .40, a compact .40, a sub-compact 9, and a .38 snub. Size-wise, I think you have the range covered from belt carry to pocket carry.

The "holes" I see in your battery are at both the light and heavy ends of the power range. You really need a .22 for fun, training and skill maintenance, and you need something more powerful than .40 at the other end. Although I'm a .45 fan, that round doesn't offer a quantum leap in power or downrange effectiveness over the .40; I'm thinking you need a .357 magnum revolver or possibly a big-bore like a .44. Barring specific recommendations for now, those areas are where I'd be looking to expand your collection.
    Thanks! Excellent suggestions! Btw, I didn't mention but I do own a .22 handgun and love shooting it. How about a .357 Sig?

Quote Originally Posted by lnferno View Post
    While these two suggestions are a bit different, it's what I did when I was in a similar dilemma. Ruger LCR 357 and XDs.45
    How do you like the XDs?

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    .357 Sig? Just get a conversion Bbl. for your G22 or G23, same mags work with .40 and .357. Or if you really want to go high class, get a Sig P229 in .357 Sig.

However if following gasmitty's advice to go with something heavier, the .357 Sig doesn't fit. A .357 mag will launch heavier weights where the .357 Sig is meant to fill the .357 magnum's SD weight rounds. Not the heavier hunting loads.

Since ammo is scarce and you don't have any .45 ammo, I'd hold off on the XDs until you can get your hands on a good quantity of ammo for the gun.

Get the Sig P938 and get the 7 round magazines to go with it...you won't be disappointed.

Sig P938 bi-tone.jpg
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    I'm a Shield...so I'd say with some bias buy the Shield. But the XDs would be fine choice from what I've heard. Though carrying same caliber might be beneficial for consistency in practice, preparation, and readiness. The new platform of the Sig would also be nice. Have you shot all of those firearms before? If so, which feels better right now based on want and need?
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Get a Glock 21 sf in 45acp and a barrel for 10mm. You will have some money left over to get some ammo or a holster..
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links