Ruger SP 101

Ruger SP 101

This is a discussion on Ruger SP 101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I want a Ruger SP 101 for general use. I know it is heavy for pocket carry but I don't intend to use ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Ruger SP 101

Ruger SP 101

I think I want a Ruger SP 101 for general use. I know it is heavy for pocket carry but I don't intend to use it for that. I'll carry it OWB in a good holster. I like revolvers and I like snubbies, but the fixed sight versions sometimes shoot wildly off POA ( left or right.......... elevation I'm not so concerned with ). Every review I've read so far indicates that the SP 101 is pretty good about shooting center. Anyone here have experience ( good or bad ), advice, comments they would like to share with me about SP 101s. Thanks.

I work on the SP101 line as a toolmaker. If yours is shooting left or right send it back to customer service and they will fix it. Yes they are great guns

It is a solid gun, built to last (like all Rugers). Mine shot to POA, but I did end up installing a lighter main spring to lighten up the DA trigger pull. Try to rent or borrow one, then decide.
    nathanjns likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Hmmmm......if it's a revolver.....it's an S&W.
    nathanjns likes this.

xXxplosive sorry to burst your bubble but I am a snubbie junkie an carry one everyday in my rotation I use a SP101 2.4 an a S&W Mod 60 ported an a S&W 642 ported I can tell you they are all fine weapons but the SP outshoots any other snubbie out there hands down. Ive had most of them over the years its the best out there right now.003.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjns View Post
    I think I want a Ruger SP 101 for general use. I know it is heavy for pocket carry but I don't intend to use it for that. I'll carry it OWB in a good holster. I like revolvers and I like snubbies, but the fixed sight versions sometimes shoot wildly off POA ( left or right.......... elevation I'm not so concerned with ). Every review I've read so far indicates that the SP 101 is pretty good about shooting center. Anyone here have experience ( good or bad ), advice, comments they would like to share with me about SP 101s. Thanks.
    My SP101 2-1/4" shoots "bang on" at 10yds, and you are right, it is too heavy for pocket carry. I also had an S&W 686 and they are both very rugged revolvers. Personally, I like the feel of the SP101 better, it feels more comfortable to my hand.
    nathanjns likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Mine is next to me RIGHT now ! The SP101 is a great revolver and I would NOT hestitate to recommend one!
    nathanjns likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

VIP Member
    I'm more of a SW guy for revolvers, but the SP101 is a darn fine revolver. You won't go wrong with an SP101 as your choice, especially with a good OWB holster. And if it is misaligned, then Ruger would fix as the other poster noted. I've had good experience with Ruger CS in the past.
    nathanjns likes this.

Distinguished Member
    They're hens teeth right now. Good luck. I was between that, in 3", and the Model 60. I found a Model 60 so I'm good. These are weird times.
    nathanjns likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    They're hens teeth right now. Good luck. I was between that, in 3", and the Model 60. I found a Model 60 so I'm good. These are weird times.
    I have a S&W Model 36 3" that has been a good gun, but it's old, has been shot a lot and has seen its better days. I have big hands and would like to replace it with something a tad larger but still concealable. I've heard the SP101 is a solid performer but have no experience with one. Thought it would be wise to ask around here. Thanks to all who have responded so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    xXxplosive sorry to burst your bubble but I am a snubbie junkie an carry one everyday in my rotation I use a SP101 2.4 an a S&W Mod 60 ported an a S&W 642 ported I can tell you they are all fine weapons but the SP outshoots any other snubbie out there hands down. Ive had most of them over the years its the best out there right now.003.jpg
    That's a heck of a nice gun. Did it come already engraved?

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Hmmmm......if it's a revolver.....it's an S&W.
    Can't argue with that. I'm real fond of S&Ws also. I want something a tad larger than a J Frame that is a quality piece. I'm thinking the SP101 might be the ticket.

I have an SP101 and I can't imagine shooting .357 Mag in anything smaller

A bit heavy for pocket carry, but that's what my j-frame is for.
    nathanjns likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

My main carry weapon for several years now has been the Ruger SP 101. th.jpg I usually carried in my Coranado Purse. I couple of years ago I found a need for a lighter gun I could carry in my jeans pocket with good access. Hubby got me a Ruger LCP for Valentine's Day. raspberry pink.jpgI still use my SP101 in my purse and SP101 sits next to me in my sewing basket on quite evenings at home. I just got a new grip insert. $T2eC16ZHJFoE9nh6pMqPBR!rtDcO+w~~60_1.JPG The pink and the black look so good together.

I love my Ruger SP101 and my Ruger LCP. I carry one of the two...depending on where I am going and how I am dressed. A Funeral in the city is not somewhere I can wear jeans...so I use my purse carry.

I highly recommend both.

Now I am wondering if hubby can find one of these. KittyRifle.jpg
    nathanjns and old grunt like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Note: While I was looking for a picture of my purse (which apparently they don't make anymore) I found two really nice ones.

Crossbody Messenger

Hollister Cross-Body Hobo

Both are cross body....which is the only way to carry and not be subject to quick purse grabs. Now I have a new "wish list". Sorry, honey.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links