Revolver for CC for a woman?

This is a discussion on Revolver for CC for a woman? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm hoping that I can get another woman's perspective (or more!). I'm considering getting a revolver for my second carry firearm. I have just gotten ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Revolver for CC for a woman?

I'm hoping that I can get another woman's perspective (or more!). I'm considering getting a revolver for my second carry firearm. I have just gotten used to my DB 9 and I am really enjoying it, especially the small grip. My husband is of the opinion the bigger the better but if we do that i know that my revolver will become his revolver (which has probably been his plan all along lol). Women that carry a revolver, what do you like?

I have a S & W 640 that I really love. This is one my favorite guns to shoot at the range, which is saying a LOT for a j-frame! Most j-frame revolvers aren't very pleasant to shoot, but I can easily put 2 boxes of ammo through this one without realizing it, even though the grip has zero padding. It's a .357 but I shoot .38s in it for less recoil. I can easily knock down 8 inch targets at 20 yards with it. The drawback: this gun is heavy, which of course is why it's so pleasant to shoot. Unfortunately, that makes it harder to carry - it requires a stiff gun belt to support it. So, it's mostly a winter carry and outdoors carry for me.

Here it is with my favorite carry rig - a Galco CB2 contour gun belt, and a Galco Concealable holster. You'll notice the gun has a CT (Crimson Trace) laser grip, since the steel sights are pretty impossible to see in low light. I believe this grip is made in pink as well.

640. 003.jpg640. 001.jpg

I've also shot some lightweight j-frames, like the S&W Airweight and a lightweight Taurus. I found them unpleasant to shoot and quite hard to hit with. Although they were lightweight and concealable, I just didn't want to carry a gun that I'd hate practicing with.

I've never shot one, but lots of people here have the Ruger LCR revolvers and seem to really like them. I'm sure you'll hear from some of them shortly.

Hope this helps.
    sanfordreed likes this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the insight! I do love pink, and it guarantees my husband won't steal it from me lol. I'll check into it.

Here is a J Frame Synthetic Full Size Grip with S&W Logo
    The price is $27.75
    Product: J Synthetic Full Size Grip with S&W Logo
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I recommend finding a range that rents them and try a few out. My wife was dead set on a revolver, rented a couple at the range and she changed her mind.

Quote Originally Posted by GaugedFreak View Post
    I recommend finding a range that rents them and try a few out. My wife was dead set on a revolver, rented a couple at the range and she changed her mind.
    +1. Wife hated the 442 I had. Besides, a G19 or M&P compact is hard to beat for a woman's EDC. I'd much rather have my wife with 13-17 rounds at her disposal before reloading than a 5 shot snubbie.
    nedrgr21 and missymay like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    She Who Must Be Obeyed just brought a Ruger LCR 22 Win Mag and I got her a 1000 rounds of Winchester 22 Win Mag PDX1 to go with it. Small, light, and low recoil.

Note the Winchester PDX Win Mag bullet expands out of a 2" barrel, ± the same energy of a 380.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

my ex is currently borrowing my Colt Detective Special (third issue) as her primary gun.

she took a beginner's class and shot very well with everything she tried.

i hope to someday transition her to a single stack 9mm like a S&W 3913, Sig 239, Bersa BP9, Walther PPS, or a Kahr K9 or P9, but she's not sure about her ability to reliably rack the slide (arthritis).

right now she doesn't shoot very often, and she's never been into guns, so i have some concerns about her ability to operate a semi-auto instinctively - especially the malfunction clearance drills.

so for now, the revolver is her best choice.
    candalos likes this.

My wife likes my Ruger LCR. "Her" gun is a Taurus all Steel Model 85, and she likes it too. She likes to carry my S&W J-frame, but doesn't like to shoot it.

VIP Member
    My 72 year old mom has, and practices numerous times of the year with her S&W 642(hammerless) airweight which is her daily carry.
    My wife shoots her hammered Taurus 85 which is steel.
    If you are going to carry it, try getting something with a barrel no longer than 3 inches.
    Those are the only women I know who have/use revolvers.
    Good luck,
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

+1 for trying on as many guns and grips as possible. You can really like the looks of a gun and not care for how it carries or feels in the hand.

Distinguished Member
    My wife has a M&P 9 and a Smith airweight 442 in 38 and she had the action worked by Bob Lunden and then added a extenda grip from hogue. She has removed the 9MM from her permit and shoots only the airweight. I only show her options the choice has to be hers in my case anyway. She is comfortable with the little revolver and with the extended grip practice is going well.

My wife has a S&W 642 CT. The Crimson Trace grip is a little larger than than the standard grip and makes it easier to shoot. I load her 38 spl wadcutters that are very mild recoil. She doesn't complain about high velocity 158g LSWCHP. Her favorite gun to shoot is her Sig 226. The gun she carries the most is my Ruger LCP. I think that women, more so than men will find that a small, lightweight gun their carry option for the day. My clothes all fit me the same way. I can carry anything. My wife does not dress around the gun, but tries to make the gun fit her dress. Due to that she needs more carry options than I do. She does carry the largest gun that she can conceal with her outfit of choice for the day.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Shoot the airweights before deciding on one.

My daughter chose the Ruger LCR in 38+P. She could not handle the recoil of anything more than that.
    sanfordreed likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links