I have a dilemma...

I have a dilemma...

This is a discussion on I have a dilemma... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im looking at getting either the Glock 19 or Glock 17 for training for the police academy. I already have a Glock 26 so if ...

Thread: I have a dilemma...

I have a dilemma...

Im looking at getting either the Glock 19 or Glock 17 for training for the police academy. I already have a Glock 26 so if I got the 19 it wouldn't be for carrying, that's why I was thinking the full frame 17 would be better since its the same basic size as the Glock 21 I would be issued.

Also the 9mm ammo is cheaper to train with then .45.

What do you guys think?
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member

I have a dilemma...

I think you could go either way and you'd be getting a great weapon, but with the 26 for carry, I think I would go for the 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    The 17 is quite a bit smaller than the G21 through the frame. My favorite GLOCKs are the 19/23 sized guns, small enough to conceal, but big enough to fight with. They are all good though, pick whatever you like. A G23 might even be your best choice, that gives you all three calibers after you are issued your duty G21. Many shooters are having trouble finding 9 Millie and .45, but .40 smith is plentiful.

Distinguished Member
    You can't go wrong with either. Given the fact that you already have a G26, personally I would go with the G17. I have a G17 for the range and for HD and love it. My EDC is a much smaller Kahr PM9. I have been thinking about picking up a G26 for times when I don't need to be quite so concealed.

Good luck!

VIP Member
    My main carry gun is a Glock 17 with the grip chopped to a 19. My bug is a 19. Hard to go wrong either way.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Get an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit and 17/19/21 won't matter.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Ive been through this with three of my 6 boys. You will probably not be using your training gun for anything but training. So think of it as what its going to be used for. You will probably want a large framed gun, with bold sights, that shoots the cheapest ammo. Two of mine used S&W Sigma's and the last used a trade in Beretta 92. All three have since sold or traded their academy guns for something more suitable. Good luck, DR

If you prefer 9mm, I think that the Glock-19 is the perfect carry gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links