Glow-On Night sight paint review

This is a discussion on Glow-On Night sight paint review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As always, I have not been compensated for this review in any way. I purchased the reviewed product with my own money. I am writing ...

Thread: Glow-On Night sight paint review

Glow-On Night sight paint review

As always, I have not been compensated for this review in any way. I purchased the reviewed product with my own money. I am writing this review as an average joe who appreciates a good product for a good price.

Glow-On advertises regularly on the forum, so I thought I would give it a try and see what happened. For 10 bucks I'm not out much if it doesn't work. It arrived in the mail, so I laid a few things out to try it on BEFORE i put it on my gun sights. My items were two tactical lights, a tv remote, a car key, and my bathroom wall. I cleaned every object with rubbing alcohol at the application site, shook the bottle, stirred it thoroughly, and went to town. My initial impression of the "paint" was it had a texture similar to paint with sand in it. It did not brush on well and was very very gritty, but not a big deal. I found the included applicator the easiest method to apply, unless you need a very fine dot.

After shaking and stirring, I applied an initial coat to my objects and allowed it to dry for 1 hr. I applied a second coat, and again let it dry for one hour. I applied a third coat and again let it dry for 1 hr. After drying for an hour i placed the objects under different light sources.... sunlight, standard house lighting, a 500 wt halogen light, and even my spare tactical light. All were timed to 20 minutes of light charging to keep things consistent. I then placed said objects in the bathroom with the lights off. everything glowed very brightly, enough to make it own light. We were off to a good start !

After 10 min, the glow had dimmed slightly but was still very bright.

After 20 min, the glow again had dimmed but was still very usable.

This was repeated every ten minutes for one hour. After an hour, the glow levels seemed to stabilize, but there was a noticeable difference in the items charged with the intense light sources vs. others, with the intense sources slightly brighter at this point. I extended the wait time to one hour, and was very surprised. The glow brightness had dimmed by half. usable but with a soft glow, and not the intense light emission at the start. I checked again in 1/2 hr, and the glow had again decreased to a still usable but noticeably softer glow. A 1/2 hr later I checked again and the glow had continued to decrease.

Essentially this continued to a point the sights were not usable, requiring effort to see the glowing dots. The time elapsed was no more than a few hrs. I moved everything to the closet, checked them before I went to bed and there was no glow at all. It was roughly 4 hrs from the time of the last check to the final check.

Final Observations:Overall, I think Glow-on is a good product, just not for weapon sights that you may need to depend on. I was always taught to use the right tool for the job. It would be great on fishing rod tips for night fishing, bobbers, lures etc, or a myriad of other uses. Just not gun sights. Glow-on makes the comparison of actual night sights costing 100.00 dollars, where glow-on costs ten. That is correct, but Night sights have a 10 yr life span ( roughly) and never stop glowing in those 10 years, which brings the cost to..... drum roll please..... $10 a year for 10 yrs of unfailing service. No recharging, no touching up, and they don't look ugly. Which brings me to another point...... Glow-On is not esthetically pleasing. to achieve a thick coat as recommended, i had to essentially glob it super thick. It looked pretty bad. Glow on recommends covering the whole sight, and you end up with a front sight post covered in a thick layer of greenish yellow crusty looking paint. If you look at the advertising images, you will see what I mean.

In closing, after trying this product, it does have some very usable applications such as those mentioned and many others. However, as it is marketed as a replacement for night sights, I reviewed it as such, and I found it to be lacking as such. When compared directly to the performance of night sights, night sights out performed it in every aspect, and I cannot recommend this product for use as such. Other may have a differing opinion or needs, so YMMV.

* This review is not meant to be construed as mean or inflammatory to Glow-on in any way. It is an honest, unbiased review of a product. I am not a scientist but I do use real world aplication to test and evaluate products.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

Good review. I too did my own assessment of Glow-On and found similar results. The Glow On option is a good one so long as one understands its limitations. One thing I did like about it was that for half an hour, the sights were significantly brighter than any tritium based sights I have ever owned. I mean, they were great. Problem, as you noted, it just does not stay bright long enough (through the night).

Because I liked the 30 minute performance so well, I have been giving thought as to how I might rig up my nightstand with a low power consuming led light inside the drawer that I could turn on when I go to bed an keep the gun in the drawer. This would provide a consistent light charge to the gun's sights and provide a very bright three dot sight if I had to draw the gun from the drawer. It may sound convoluted, but the initial brightness of the Glow On sights are many factors better than tritium and it would be worth it to me to rig up some constant light source that would turn off when I opened the drawer but would always assure a fully charged Glow On covered site.

The other benefit of the Glow On paint is that it also provided a bright daytime site. I painted a dot on several of my rifle sites and all of them became much more visible and bright during the day.

I think the constant light source would be good for home defense purposes, but for longterm evening concealed carry its just not an option. I do a lot of night activities, and the need for an always usable sight is persistent. I like the idea of putting it on my rifle sights, and I may try that as well.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Links