Need suggestions for a woman's concealed carry options?

This is a discussion on Need suggestions for a woman's concealed carry options? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My mother in law is getting her concealed carry license soon and currently has a full size M&P 9mm for home defense that she loves. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need suggestions for a woman's concealed carry options?

Need suggestions for a woman's concealed carry options?

My mother in law is getting her concealed carry license soon and currently has a full size M&P 9mm for home defense that she loves. Now she needs something smaller for concealed carry. She really wants the M&P Shield and we are on many waiting lists both for my wife and my mother in law and expect to get the call within a year, so until then she needs something for the meantime. Any suggestions on a small 9mm or 380 that would be easily concealable but not be uncomfortable to shoot at the range? We were thinking of the Sig p238 but would like something a little more user friendly, she's not opposed to revolvers but leaning more toward semi-autos. Keep in mind we will be trying any suggestion at the range we just need ideas of pistols to try before she buys.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Is it just me, or does anyone see the irony in the way our forum has abbreviated the title of this post to: Need Suggestions for a woman's concealed

Yeah, I know, mind in the gutter.
    fredg53 and sixgun like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

"Buy a shotgun. Buy a shotgun."

If you don't like that^^^^recommendation, I'd recommend a Sig P938 with a 7 round mag if she wants something small that she could conceal easily.

Sig P938 bi-tone.jpg
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    My mother in law is getting her concealed carry license soon and currently has a full size M&P 9mm for home defense that she loves. Now she needs something smaller for concealed carry. She really wants the M&P Shield and we are on many waiting lists both for my wife and my mother in law and expect to get the call within a year, so until then she needs something for the meantime. Any suggestions on a small 9mm or 380 that would be easily concealable but not be uncomfortable to shoot at the range? We were thinking of the Sig p238 but would like something a little more user friendly, she's not opposed to revolvers but leaning more toward semi-autos. Keep in mind we will be trying any suggestion at the range we just need ideas of pistols to try before she buys.

Thanks
    What's not user friendly about the P238?

It has the easiest to rack slide of any pistol on the planet. With the hammer cocked it can be loaded, unloaded and cleared with the safety on. It comes with night sights, is very pleasant to shoot, and has one of the best pocket .380 triggers available. My 70 year old wife loves hers. It's the only semi-auto she likes in fact. And she's tried nearly all of them.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone see the irony in the way our forum has abbreviated the title of this post to: Need Suggestions for a woman's concealed

Yeah, I know, mind in the gutter.
    HA HA. Love the way your thinkin bro.

Check out the Bersa bp9cc. 9mm firepower and about the same size and weight of the shield. Or Bersas thunder 380. Light concealable and an easy shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Fitch
    I had the same question. I found mine to be very user friendly. The only catch is making sure you practice often enough that knocking the safety off becomes second nature, even under duress. But this gun is so pleasant to shoot that practicing isn't a chore. And the safety itself is well positioned and designed.

I shot about 150 rounds through a 938 and did not get along with it very well. It's noticeably snappier (therefore harder to hit with) than the 238 and was much less reliable. It had way too many FTEs for me to consider carrying it for protection, which was very disappointing because I really wanted to like it as much as the 238.

I've been looking for a 9 mm Shield for a few months myself since I'd like a bit bigger caliber for my summer carry than a .380. But you have to be willing to pay several hundred more than they're worth to get one right now, unless you just get lucky and walk into a store as they're putting one on the shelf. The stores in my area won't even create waiting lists, because they don't know when they might get any.

Hope your mother-in-law finds something that works great for her.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    I was very impressed with Massad Ayoob's book on this topic (Gun Digest of Concealed Carry). I would suggest a revolver, as the action is ultra-reliable and she could have plenty of stopping power w/a .357 Mag, as opposed to the .380 round. Of course, I concede that a .380 with you is much better than a revolver at home.

I also have come around to the realization that women's holster options are fundamentally different than ours. Women have different hips, torsos, etc. I would suggest checking out Ayoob's book for more details. Frankly, I am just retelling what I thought was good advice from him.

Thanks and I hope she finds what she needs for an armed defense!

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post

It has the easiest to rack slide of any pistol on the planet. With the hammer cocked it can be loaded, unloaded and cleared with the safety on. It comes with night sights, is very pleasant to shoot, and has one of the best pocket .380 triggers available. My 70 year old wife loves hers. It's the only semi-auto she likes in fact. And she's tried nearly all of them.

Fitch
    I was just referring to the safety and the hammer, given she's not used to anything like that. She is used to just point and shoot like the M&P. I guess she could get used to it and would probably like the idea of a safety on her carry weapon.

A gun that works for a guy will work just as well for a woman. Like a guy, they can learn to handle the recoil of a given cartridge.

Holsters, on the other hand, can be a pain.

LCR 38 special.

new to the forum here, liking it so far ! if I may offer a suggestion for a holster for woman, check out this one my wife uses
    Sassy Shooting Accessories - Home

I have a feeling that Shields will become more available in the near future. A LGS near me has sold more than 50 of them in 3 different shipments within the past 6 weeks. Granted when they get them in stock, they go within a few hours.

VIP Member
    You might want to have her look at the Kahr CW9 as an option.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    I was just referring to the safety and the hammer, given she's not used to anything like that. She is used to just point and shoot like the M&P. I guess she could get used to it and would probably like the idea of a safety on her carry weapon.
    Have her look at the Walther PPS.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links