New M&P9c. First trip to the range.

This is a discussion on New M&P9c. First trip to the range. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When it comes to striker fired pistols, I have for the most part...had pretty good luck in performance, but sketchy outcomes when it comes to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New M&P9c. First trip to the range.

New M&P9c. First trip to the range.

When it comes to striker fired pistols, I have for the most part...had pretty good luck in performance, but sketchy outcomes when it comes to building a love affair strong enough for me to want to hold on to them.

Over the years I have owned a Glock 21, 26 and a 19 and ended up selling them all as I never really could warm up to the blocky grip as well as the grip angle. They were fine weapons; they never malfunctioned in any way, shape or form...they just weren't for me. So along comes the S&W M&P Shield that everyone was talking about and as luck would have it, I was able to get one with no real difficulty...and so begins my foray into striker guns again. The Shield...has been flawless. It's thin, lightweight, easy to conceal and I can shoot ragged holes with it pretty well out to around 10 yards...which for a sub-compact carry gun in my opinion, is not to shabby. Next I buy an M&P22 which is extremely fun to shoot (even though I had to send it in for warranty work once) and luckily I have plenty of ammo stored up for it, so I have no problem plinking with it at the range for a few mags before I break out the real fire power. I guess the point is...I seem to have grown a bit of a fondness for the M&P's, so hopefully I have found a striker gun that I like enough to actually want to keep.

I have heard it said many times "everyone should have at least one Glock in their collection"...well thats fine and good if you like Glocks. I prefer to rephrase that to 'striker fired pistol' mainly to open up other options and keep an unbiased opinion and to alleviate finger pointing by the fan boys. Glocks, XD's, M&P's, Kahr, Ruger, etc...are all fine pistols; it's just a matter of what feels better to YOU the consumer.

So recently I have an opportunity to pick up a new M&P9 compact. Since I seem to like my other two (M&P's), I figure I'll jump on it while I have a chance since they seem to be pretty scarce in my neck of the big city and it also gives me a chance to carry something different.

Ammo used...100 rounds of PMC 115 grain FMJ and 50 rounds of S&B 115 FMJ. Run target out to 10 yards and fire a few mags with no hiccups and decent accuracy, so far so good!

About middle way through the ammo fired is when I noticed a few shell cases hitting me in the head and one actually falling down behind my glasses and getting lodged up against my face. Umm...hot brass against the face? Ouch. I've been shooting a long time and that's not the first time that has happened so I keep chugging along but I'm beginning to notice a pattern of very erratic case extraction. Some are being flung at a normal 4 o-clock trajectory, some are bouncing off my forehead, some are flying straight up and coming back down and hitting my wrists and some are actually flying off and hitting the left side divider wall. Yeah, thats a new one on me.

Accuracy was spot on and the gun never malfunctioned as far as FTF or FTE. It ate everything without a hiccup, which is generally what I was expecting. I would have been very surprised if this gun didn't function 100% with whatever I decided to feed it.

At this point I'm going to contact S&W and see what they suggest. I have read over on the Smith & Wesson forum that this has been known to happen on occasion and the outcome has always been to send it in and they'll handle it. That's fine...but I hate having to send off a brand new gun. That really chaps my hind quarters ...but I guess its better than having to dodge brass when I'm trying to shoot a group. The important thing is that I bought this gun to be a CCW and it functions without feeding problems. The extractor 'works' as in it actually extracts properly from the chamber, but it needs a little tweaking.

Anyway, here's the target...

ironmike86 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Love my M&P 9c. Nice group for 30 feet!
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

VIP Member
    Everyone I know who has an M&P (10 people and growing) won't part with them.
    My nephew and my daughters BF both know someone who just bought a Shield a week or two ago, and very reasonably priced for these trying times, from one of the best GS on the NE side of metro Detroit.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'm going to keep the gun. I'll just send it off under warranty if need be for a little extractor tune. Besides...I already have a holster coming for it, so it'll serve its purpose.

I also forget to add...the trigger is gritty, but I'm sure that'll shoot out with more lead launched downrange. I'm not going to get nit-picky on something like that as it's not really a concern.

It took me a while to warm up to my 9c. But after a few hundred rounds we are meshing good now. As far as my brass mine ejects it to the right in a nice pile. Love my 9c and it carrys nice. Enjoy your and hope S&W will take care of you.

I love my M&P compact as well. I have had hot brass hit me in the face, the ear, and the top of the head. Come to find out that my gun ejects so hard to the right that the brass was actually bouncing off the dividers between lanes (my glocks do it too) Had nothing to do with the pistol itself. Maybe that happened to you?
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I love my M&P compact as well. I have had hot brass hit me in the face, the ear, and the top of the head. Come to find out that my gun ejects so hard to the right that the brass was actually bouncing off the dividers between lanes (my glocks do it too) Had nothing to do with the pistol itself. Maybe that happened to you?
    Oh no...after the old hot brass behind the glasses trick, I made it a point to watch and see where my brass was ejecting. At first I thought the same thing as I was getting pelted long before that and yes...I have guns that eject with some serious uumph, so that did come to mind. I was aiming, firing my shot, then watching my brass...thats how I was able to determine the erratic behavior. Brass was literally being ejected straight up maybe...10" and coming back down and landing on my wrist. When I saw one bounce off the LEFT SIDE barrier, I was in disbelief as I have never seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by JT353 View Post
    Oh no...after the old hot brass behind the glasses trick, I made it a point to watch and see where my brass was ejecting. At first I thought the same thing as I was getting pelted long before that and yes...I have guns that eject with some serious uumph, so that did come to mind. I was aiming, firing my shot, then watching my brass...thats how I was able to determine the erratic behavior. Brass was literally being ejected straight up maybe...10" and coming back down and landing on my wrist. When I saw one bounce off the LEFT SIDE barrier, I was in disbelief as I have never seen that before.
    Ah. Good news is that Smith's customer service is usually top notch. I have a bigger question, how can you afford to shoot 9mm? You must be rich!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

From a fellow owners of two M&Ps, including a clone of yours, congrats you made a great choice! As for the brass issue, mine will occasionally pop one straight up for no apparent reason, if your issues persist I'd give them a call. Their CS really is top notch, I have dealt with them twice, once was for a magazine on my Pro Series that kept slipping off when fully loaded, they sent me a replacement for free. Second time I called to ask if I could buy the pinky extension for my second compact mag since I couldn't find them anywhere. I fully intended to pay for it, the operator put me on hold a moment then returned to ask for my address. Only a $3 part, but they didn't have to do that.
    CharlesMorri likes this.

Ah. Good news is that Smith's customer service is usually top notch. I have a bigger question, how can you afford to shoot 9mm? You must be rich!
    LOL...no i'm not rich by any stretch. I live in the largest city in Texas and have access to a few different LGS in the immediate area. One has 9mm ammo but they ration it to one box per customer, another one gets it in and they keep it at the range counter for the shooters...but when its gone, its gone until they get more in. I just stock up a couple hundred rounds of 9mm over time and then go shoot when I can. Here lately I have been shooting my 40 S&W Sigs and 40 ammo is usually a lot easier to find.

I also shot another 100 rounds thru my P229R .40 today as well. All I can say is...the love affair continues.

Quote Originally Posted by JT353 View Post
    LOL...no i'm not rich by any stretch. I live in the largest city in Texas and have access to a few different LGS in the immediate area. One has 9mm ammo but they ration it to one box per customer, another one gets it in and they keep it at the range counter for the shooters...but when its gone, its gone until they get more in. I just stock up a couple hundred rounds of 9mm over time and then go shoot when I can. Here lately I have been shooting my 40 S&W Sigs and 40 ammo is usually a lot easier to find.

I also shot another 100 rounds thru my P229R .40 today as well. All I can say is...the love affair continues.
    With the cost of 9mm around here, I traded my G19 for a G23. My LGS's HAVE 9mm, but they want $23 per 50 rounds for it. Its cheaper to shoot hollow points than FMJ. Hence my comment.

I'd run another box or two through the M&P9c before I sent the gun away to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    From a fellow owners of two M&Ps, including a clone of yours, congrats you made a great choice! As for the brass issue, mine will occasionally pop one straight up for no apparent reason, if your issues persist I'd give them a call. Their CS really is top notch, I have dealt with them twice, once was for a magazine on my Pro Series that kept slipping off when fully loaded, they sent me a replacement for free. Second time I called to ask if I could buy the pinky extension for my second compact mag since I couldn't find them anywhere. I fully intended to pay for it, the operator put me on hold a moment then returned to ask for my address. Only a $3 part, but they didn't have to do that.
    I made a good choice, oh yes! I'm not disgusted just a little put off...thats all.

I had to send my M&P22 in once and their CS was great. I have no complaints at all. I may wait and go to the range one more time just to make sure I wasn't shooting in the Twilight Zone before I make a move to send it in, but then I may just send it off anyway; I'm currently undecided at this moment.

With the cost of 9mm around here, I traded my G19 for a G23. My LGS's HAVE 9mm, but they want $23 per 50 rounds for it. Its cheaper to shoot hollow points than FMJ. Hence my comment.

I'd run another box or two through the M&P9c before I sent the gun away to be fixed.
    If I remember correctly it's going for around $19 +/- a box of 50 for typical range ammo. I bought a 20 round box of .40 180 grain Gold Dots today that set me back $30. Its a darn good thing I don't shoot that stuff very often. That was painful!

my 3 month old glock 23 gen 3 flings bullets at my head every now and then at least once every range trip. last time a casing hit me right in the middle of forehead. luckily i like the gun or it woulda been thrown a few yards.

I parted with my 9c, but I kept my kydex holsters, 17 round mags and x-grip. My plan is to acquire a fullsized M&P 9 soon....very soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links