Tiny semi-auto .22LR?

Tiny semi-auto .22LR?

This is a discussion on Tiny semi-auto .22LR? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the guys I work with has a really small .22LR pistol. I can't remember what it is, but it only holds about 6 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Tiny semi-auto .22LR?

Tiny semi-auto .22LR?

One of the guys I work with has a really small .22LR pistol. I can't remember what it is, but it only holds about 6 rounds. He did say that after he bought it (at a gun show) and did some research he found it had a really horrible reputation for accuracy.

My question is are there any decent really small .22 semi-auto pistols out there? I know the idea of going to a .380 will come up, but I'm specifically curious about the .22LR's. I have a small 9mm (on the way) so I'm set for a heavier round/real small gun, but this is turning in to some what of a hobby You can't have just one, or 5, or 20...

Re: Tiny semi-auto .22LR?

I have a little Jennings J22 that I picked up at a gun show when I was a kid (technically my dad bought it). It is a tiny little semi auto with a terrible reputation. Might be what your friend has.
    -SF

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Beretta has a tip up barrel in 22lr.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Beretta Bobcat
    dukalmighty and dV8r like this.

VIP Member
    Yep, the beretta I have (though don't carry) is a pretty nice little pistol.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    My personal favorite in the .22lr mousegun catagory is the Walther TPH. These are well made, accurate enough and reliable. Good looking and feel nice in the hand too.

Another PPK type .22lr is this PX22. It also holds 6 rounds as do the TPH models. It is not the same quality by any stretch though.

5lima30ret likes this.

Beretta and taurus come to mind with small 22lr. Bobcat and the pt-22. Basicly the same pistols. the beretta might better machined. But probably cost more. I shot a pt-22 and it seemed to be good little gun. But I already have a 32 pocket gun and 22/45 ruger. So I didnt see the need to buy that one.
    maxwell97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Beretta Bobcat
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Beretta and taurus come to mind with small 22lr. Bobcat and the pt-22. Basicly the same pistols. the beretta might better machined. But probably cost more. I shot a pt-22 and it seemed to be good little gun...
    I don't think anyone can honestly say that the Bobcat has a "horrible reputation", any moreso than ANY tiny .22 semi-auto.

I'm betting he's talking about a Sterling, Jennings, Jimanez, or something similar. Maybe a Taurus.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Had one..it worked well. I kinda miss it, now that I read this thread.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I don't think anyone can honestly say that the Bobcat has a "horrible reputation", any moreso than ANY tiny .22 semi-auto.

I'm betting he's talking about a Sterling, Jennings, Jimanez, or something similar. Maybe a Taurus.
    I have a Beretta 21A 22LR w/the pop up barrel. For a basic 'belly' gun it is extremely compact and very veryconcealable and I would never ever consider selling it.
    Tho it's the only Beretta I've ever owned I would have absolutely no qualms about buying another Beretta. They are another of the finely manufactured firearms on the market today.
    ----------
    The first semi auto pistol I ever bought was a 22 Jennings with the black finish some 30 years ago. It's had a few feeding problems now and then over the years. That problem is solved with hotter ammo or some maintenance/cleaning. Either CCI Stingers or probably any high velocity quality ammo. I have found over the years standard velocity ammo just doesn't have the 'juice' to cycle the action. The out the door price for my Jennings in 1985 ish for gun w/2 spare 6R mags, simple no frills holster (perfect for pocket carry) and tax was $95-100.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

If i I may quote myself from a recent thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Glockwatcher View Post
    Although I haven't shot any of the pictured pistols in a decade or two, I recall my two .25ACP Berettas were significantly more reliable than their .22LR stablemate (Which was, by the way, more trustworthy than the nearly unobtainable Walther TPH), But I'd expect a centerfire, semi-rimmed FMJ cartrige to be more reliable in the tight confines of a mousegun than an externally lubed, lead bulleted rimfire. The .25's stack more neatly in the magazine (and you get one more). It also seems that .22LR duds are more frequent these days.

When comparing ballistics, be aware that .25ACP test data reflects a typical mousegun barrel, where .22LR tables typically report numbers from much longer barrels. The .22LR typically has somewhat better commonly published numbers, but ultimately, reliability is paramount in guns such as these.

The three thirty-year-old Berettas pictured have light, silky smooth double-action triggers with a remarkable single-action letoff...

I'd suggest getting a the .22 for practice AND the .25 to carry. These guns are relatively affordable, and .22 ammo will eventually reappear and allow inexpensive practice.

Mini Mouseguns.jpg
    Click to Enlarge Image
    Top to Bottom:
    (Discontinued) Beretta Model 20 .25 ACP
    Walther TPH (W.German) .22LR
    Beretta Model 21A .22LR and .25ACP
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Got a chance to shoot a Walther P22 the other day and it was a sweet little gun. Perhaps not as tiny as some of the others mentioned here, but holds 10-12 rounds.

I got my daughter ( an RN and get's called out at night a lot) a Taurus PT-22...It's easier for her to conceal and shoot and quick to just grab and slip into her console or purse...I've shot it and it's easy to shoot and very accurate...JMO

Gunblast.com - Taurus PT22 Poly 22 Pistol - YouTube
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    I have only seen one other like it but I have a Wilkinson Arms Sherry 22 pistol I bought many years ago. It is the same size as a Colt 25acp, never shot it much but it is a fun and accurate pistol. To lazy to go out to the safe and bring it in for pictures so here is one I found on the Internet.

Google Image Result for http://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/5236/920480453/wm_md_994739.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links