Got bit by the Sig bug...

This is a discussion on Got bit by the Sig bug... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, after recently moving to the great state of PA I purchased my first firearm. A used Sig Sauer P226 chambered in 9mm from a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Got bit by the Sig bug...

Well, after recently moving to the great state of PA I purchased my first firearm. A used Sig Sauer P226 chambered in 9mm from a small LGS. With the way things were flying off of the shelves I figured it wouldnt be there long. Took it to the range and fell in love. The only problem is carrying it concealed because it is big. Looks like the 226 is only going to see carry action in the winter months when I can cover it with sweatshirts or a heavy jacket. However, i like the DA/SA setup and it just feels right in my hand. So i did the next best thing and purchased my first new firearm. Fresh out of the box P229 in 9mm. Since I loved the setup of the 226 I wanted to keep the platform the same so that no matter which one I have on me, the function will be the same. I was looking at the XDS for deep concealment but i just couldnt help myself once the 229 hit my hands :).
    Attached Images

SIGs happen. Excellent choice. Get a Summer Special II or a Versa Max. You can easily carry a 226 with either of those holsters. I do it year round.

I know your pain. I picked up a 229 Dark Elite a few weeks ago. A 238 followed me home today. Quite strange. :)

VIP Member
    Sig is an expensive bug. My 229 Extreme set me back a pretty penny, but it's worth every darn one of them. Spend wisely!

I think the P229 is the best feeling handgun I've ever put in my hand. It's simply awesome. I've read that Sig is going to start shipping the P227 sometime this month. I can't wait to get a closer look at them.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

I have fallen into the Sig obsession as of late. I too purchased a 226R Navy and 229R as well and they are both worth every penny.

U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Don't feel bad, getting the SIGness is an incurable disease we welcome with open arms. I agree with you on the "once it hit my hands" statement. I had all the Sigs lined out on the counter to choose from and once I picked up that beautiful 229 and held it, it was going home with me in the next half hour. Absolutely perfect in the hand, and at the range. Enjoy the love, embrace the SIGness.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    You picked a mighty fine gun there.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffInPA View Post
    Well, after recently moving to the great state of PA I purchased my first firearm. A used Sig Sauer P226 chambered in 9mm from a small LGS. With the way things were flying off of the shelves I figured it wouldnt be there long. Took it to the range and fell in love. The only problem is carrying it concealed because it is big. Looks like the 226 is only going to see carry action in the winter months when I can cover it with sweatshirts or a heavy jacket. However, i like the DA/SA setup and it just feels right in my hand. So i did the next best thing and purchased my first new firearm. Fresh out of the box P229 in 9mm. Since I loved the setup of the 226 I wanted to keep the platform the same so that no matter which one I have on me, the function will be the same. I was looking at the XDS for deep concealment but i just couldnt help myself once the 229 hit my hands :).
    Congrats! I also love my Sigs...I have the P226, P229 and the P239. They are all in 9mm. Depending on the size of your hand you may want to consider the P239 for edc. The P229 is my favorite...love it. By the way, you can buy 22lr conversion kits for both the P226 and the P229 so you can practice at the range with cheaper ammo. The only practice you get is sight alignment, trigger control and grip management. There is no recoil to speak of so you don't get to practice handling recoil. Have fun with them!

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member
    Congrats! After shooting a sig for the first time 2 weeks ago I have now put a P226 very near the top of my wish list. Time to start saving!

Very nice little sig family you've started there!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Another Sig-o-holic falls in line with the rest of us! Welcome to the fold.

One of the things that has a tendency to grab a would be Sigophile by the boo boo...is not only the act of taking one in the hand and allowing it to win you over with its ergonomics that invite a gripping caress, its when you actually have the opportunity to load a magazine, point it downrange and pull the trigger. At that point...all is lost; you have just become a prime candidate for the Sig-o-holics anonymous 12- step program.

Here's my little family...P220, P229R .40, P239 .40...Now all I need is the P226 Elite 9mm I have been drooling over, and I'm thinking I may also like to try the new P290RS as an appendix carry candidate.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

the 226 9mm is one of my favorites. Congratulations and have fun!
    "I don't know what it's called... I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life"
    - Tropic Thunder

I love Sigs also, but tend to like the larger bore offerings the most..... I have a P226 in 9mm, but have two (2) P220 Carry's in 45acp.

Well if it wasnt enough I had to go and get something to set off my 229. Got myself some Hogue G10 grips Clear/Tribal.

sig4.JPGsig5.JPG

I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU PEOPLE!!!

Why do you have to "get bit by the SIG bug" to go out and buy one? No one gets bit by the "glock bug" or the "S&W bug." Why do you need an excuse to buy a SIG? Just do it, and be darned happy you did!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links