XDs owners

This is a discussion on XDs owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I put some hold money on one today. I'll pick it up in the next week or so. Any input on its behavior? Ammo preferences? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: XDs owners

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

XDs owners

I put some hold money on one today. I'll pick it up in the next week or so. Any input on its behavior? Ammo preferences? Personality traits for the gun? Comments? Thanks.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

Shoots great. Don't shoot Pearce ammo out of it, though. I had two light primer strikes with that. I've had no problems with Winchester white box or Magtech FMJ.

Personality traits? Bad-ass, mostly.

Slide doesn't always lock back after the last round.
    crossfireltd likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Great little gun. I really love mine. Broke mine in with 250 rounds of 185 gr. FMJ's. Switched over to Hornady XTP's for carry, and couldn't believe how much less recoil there was with that load. Felt like a 9mm by comparison.

Two major things I've noticed with mine. When racking the slide, rack it with authority or just use the slide lock to chamber a round because the feed ramp is steep and it will jam on you if you don't. Secondly, you cannot have a limp grip on this pistol. I suffered a light primer strike within the first 30 or so rounds through it. Since then I make sure to have a very firm grip on it and have a few hundred rounds through it without issue. Oh and it will give you some bad blisters if you try to run a couple hundred rounds through it in one day. Overall I'm very happy with mine. Super accurate little 45! I'm no pro shooter, this picture was from around 30 feet out on the first day with it at the range.

Philly Boy likes this.

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^
    Yep. A friend of mine has one. The feed ramp is steep and it needs to be fed with authority. The one I have used is a bit picky with Hydra Shock SD rounds, and I have several others to try out next week (PMC and Golden Sabers).

Otherwise it is an excellent little gun. The recoil is suprisingly manageable on this weapon as well.

Had the compact in 9 mm. It was my first gun. It was very accurate and reliable. You made a good choice.

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I just found a thread started by indykid and kind of finished by kzrider. Some of the XDs are not exempt from quality issues. Luck of the draw I guess. I was disappointed in the comments on Springfield CS. But hope springs eternal and I'm looking forward to getting mine out of hock at the LGS. I'm happy with the Shield and I'm pretty good with 40 cal but I do love me some 45.

Now if I can dial in a carry combo/option of 357/45 with a Model 60 and the XDs... I'll never ask for another thing

The fall back...there's always the old Colt. It runs.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

When racking the slide, rack it with authority or just use the slide lock to chamber a round because the feed ramp is steep and it will jam on you if you don't. Secondly, you cannot have a limp grip on this pistol.
    Best advice you could get. The gun does loosen up after a couple hundred rounds. Mine eats whatever I feed it as long as I rack it with authority.
    pittypat21 likes this.

The only issue I've had is with Blazer. Several failures to fire. No problems with anything else. Different - but related - wondering how many rounds should be put through the XDs (or any EDC) before putting it into use. I know it is a subjective / relative number, but what ballpark number would be reasonable? I've put 300+ through my new XDs with only 3 (or 2) failures to fire with the Blazer. Is it ready?
    "Second place is first loser".

Mine has been an excellent little pistol. Recoil is very managable. I actually find it more pleasant than my Kahr CM9, not as sharp. So far, it's digested everything I've put through it....Remington, WWB, Federal and Hornady. Currently carry it with Hornady TAP 200 gr +P. The only one jam it has experience was when my 14 y/o son was shooting. That was within the first 100 rounds and it hasn't happened since. Personally, I think it was more him than the pistol. As far as loading a round, I just lock the slide back, insert a mag and give the slide a pull back, release and I'm off to the races. Haven't had it fail to load a round from a fresh mag this way as of yet. It's a lot of gun in a small package.

A good friend of mine purchased one this week. He brought it over and we put a few rounds through it today. I loved how thin it was. I held it next to my pm9 and it was very close to the same thickness and it is a 45! I am very impressed with it. It did have a couple light primer strikes though. I figured it was trash in the firing pin channel. I knew it hadn't been cleaned yet. Now I'm not so sure though. I do know it was cheap ammo we was shooting

Clean and oil it as soon as you buy it. Then, as previously mentioned, don't be gentle with it.
    NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

As others have said, best to load the first round by using the slide release. This is actually stated in the manual. Mine did not like Fiocchi XTP HP bullets, had about one FTF per magazine. Everything else has worked fine.

Just bought one Friday and got to put a few rounds thru it today. I did clean it good before firing and only had a few rounds to play with but it really shot good. Very accurate and I like the sights.

I have some UMC FMJ rounds coming, so I can get some practice and thru the breakin stage. Also looking for some of the 7 round mags but they are quite scarce right now like most other things. My plan for carry ammo is 200gr Gold Dot HP. I have been using the GDHP in my 9 and have been very happy with them.

After some good practice and breakin, I think this will be my new EDC. My XDm will get a rest and get to play on match day :-)
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

VIP Member
    Bought one recently & was pleasantly surprised that the recoil was really mild. I expected there to be a lot more muzzle flip for such a thin/ short handgun.

It's not great for 25 yard shots, but up close it works well!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links