Bobbed the hammer on my SW 637

This is a discussion on Bobbed the hammer on my SW 637 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not too long ago when I first obtained by Georgia weapons carry license I purchased a SW 637 as a carry. I read about the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PEF

Thread: Bobbed the hammer on my SW 637

VIP Member

Not too long ago when I first obtained by Georgia weapons carry license I purchased a SW 637 as a carry. I read about the hammer snagging but I thought it would not be a big deal. I was wrong. I know the trick about thumbing the spur, but in truth I didn't want to worry about it if the time came. So I purchased a 642, and since then have also purchased some 640's for carry. I thought about selling the 637, but I have this strange habit of developing attachments with inanimate objects, guns especially. So with my Model 642 and 640's to keep me occupied, the 637 lay neglected in the safe.

The 637 is not a range toy, so it seemed like such a waste to let it languish. So I decided to bob the hammer and see if I could salvage the 637 as a carry. I must say the job was quite easy (with a dremel and a vise, of course). It took about 1 hour start to finish - including disassembling, cutting, grinding, polishing, blueing and reassembly. I like the results so much I think the 637 may take the place of my 642. (The timing may be perfect, as my wife has decided to get her carry license as well and the 642 may end up being hers).

Here are some pics of the result. What I like most about the bobbed hammer is that that profile of the 637 is slightly smaller in height than that of the 642 at the backstrap.

Bobbed 01.jpgBobbed 02.jpgBobbed 03.jpg

The second picture is a picture of the bobbed hammer as the trigger is being pulled. I bobbed the hammer so that it is flush with the frame when the firing pin is fully engaged, and it rebounds slightly when at rest. I may grind it down a bit more - but that would be merely cosmetic, as I have been unable to snag the gun on my clothing now.
    Cory1022 likes this.

i also prefer revolvers used for concealed carry to be spurless,excellent job,looks great!

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    Looks like you did a great job!
    What grips are those?

VIP Member
    The Grips are Ahrend's J-Frame Round FG/C grips. Cocobolo w/oil rub finish. I ordered them from Brownells:

S&W REVOLVER EXOTIC WOOD GRIPS | Brownells

They are pricey, and a bit of overkill for an Airweight, but I really like them and I have these on all most of my j-frames. The tactical round j-frame grips are nice, too, (Tactical J-Frame Grips, Round, FG, C). They give your pinky some real estate but make pocket carry difficult. I use the larger tactical round grips on my all steel 640, which I do not pocket carry.

Excellent work. I had a 638 a few years back and sold it like an idiot.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Excellent work. I had a 638 a few years back and sold it like an idiot.
    Ah, the Gun Seller's Remorse. I still can't believe that in a moment of weakness I traded a SW Model 60 No Dash, w/box and dox, for a Ruger .22 Vaquero. AAAARRGH!

Seems like I often forget why I bought a gun until AFTER I sell it, and then I remember what kicking myself feels like....

Seems like you took off quite a bit. Have you taken it to the range to make sure you do not get any light strikes. It's kind of tricky to take off just the right amount an still have enough weight to fire dependably good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Seems like you took off quite a bit. Have you taken it to the range to make sure you do not get any light strikes. It's kind of tricky to take off just the right amount an still have enough weight to fire dependably good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Yep, took it Sunday and put 100 flawless +p rounds through it. No issues. My hand was a bit sore though. Nice deep primer strikes. I still have the stock springs in. From what I read, I'm pretty sure the main driver here is the spring and not hammer inertia. But it was in the back of my mind, and I did make sure Midway had a hammer in stock in case I bungled it up. Fortunately it works fine, and I did end up taking a tad bit more off (about a millimeter) because I was not entirely satisfied with the first try. And yep, I'll be back at the range Saturday "testing" it to make sure it works. I know it will, but it's a good excuse...

Also, to Wheelyfun101 - If you want the oil rubbed Ahrends, I got them at top gun supply - https://www.topgunsupply.com/ahrends-gun-grips/

Sweet shooter. I really like those grips!
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

well it sure looks great love the grips I to have sold a couple of guns only to look back and say moron. Mustang Pocketlite, G26

Links