XDs Range Report: 5rd mag vs 5rd mag w/Pearce Extension vs 7rd mag

This is a discussion on XDs Range Report: 5rd mag vs 5rd mag w/Pearce Extension vs 7rd mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been anxious to test out these different mags (the standard 5rd mag, the standard 5rd mag w/Pearce extension, and then the 7rd mag. I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: XDs Range Report: 5rd mag vs 5rd mag w/Pearce Extension vs 7rd mag

I've been anxious to test out these different mags (the standard 5rd mag, the standard 5rd mag w/Pearce extension, and then the 7rd mag. I've only been to the range 2 times with my XDs and both times were shooting at a distance of 10'. This time out, I went to a different range and the targets were 27' - quite a bit further out than I'm used to shooting. So, regardless of what magazine I used, I definitely need more practice. :-)

My best results were with the 5rd mag with the Pearce extension. The next best results were with the standard 5rd mag, then last, the 7rd mag. That surprised me a little bit. Going into it, my preconceived notion was that the 7rd mag or the 5rd w/Pearce extension would have been the most accurate, but for me, the 7rd mag proved to be the least accurate. Again, these are my results -- I'm sure other people may experience different results.

Each target I shot 25 rounds at 27'.

First up, standard 5rd mag w/Pearce extension. Yup, hit the bullseye!

Second, the standard 5rd mag:

Last, the 7rd mag:

Now, off topic, but I love the humor of the gun range owner (he goes by "Dragon Man" - long story, but you can check out his website if you are interested: Dragonmans - Home. There's a long dirt road you drive up to get to the range. Here's the view as you drive up the long dirt road to get to the range:

NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

I've only shot about 350rds thru my xds.I did have a little better luck with the 7rd mag but,my paws are kinda big.My pinky has nothing to grab on the 5 rd.I haven't tried the 5rd mag w/pearce ext.Haven't run across one,but,when i do,i'm gonna try it.

I was surprised how much of a difference it made. I think I'm going to order another one actually for my other 5rd mag.
    NRA Member

Interesting pics! Thanks for the range report. My dad and I shot his and I noticed I did not do as well with the seven round mag. I just ordered him some Pearce, so we will need to try that soon.

I think once you get it dialed in you will have much better results. I found the xds surpisingly accurate at roughly the same distance with only the flush mag...this is assuming you are right handedTarget_chart.jpg
    pittypat21 likes this.

I'm a lefty :)
    NRA Member

With no extensions or funny business, I put all five rounds into about a 1-inch, 1-1/2 inch area at 7 meters (about 23 feet).

Every solid-line red square is an inch on this target.
    0120131258.jpg
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    I tend to get better accuracy with the shorter mags in my plastic carry guns, specifically the Shield. I was a bit surprised at this but I write it off as a subconscious application of the proper grip when the little finger has to entertain itself. With an extended mag, the little finger wants to participate maybe, I dunno.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    With no extensions or funny business, I put all five rounds into about a 1-inch, 1-1/2 inch area at 7 meters (about 23 feet).

Every solid-line red square is an inch on this target.
    0120131258.jpg
    OP - Until you can get more results that look like this at the relatively short distance you are shooting at, I would suggest you concentrate on your shooting fundamentals, and less on what length grip/magazine you use.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your shot groups could stand some improvement. Perhaps seek some instruction from a qualified trainer in your area.

Good luck to you, and enjoy the pistol.
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all. Get a gun you will always carry, and add more capability as you grow.

inferno, heres the lefty chart
    target lefty.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - Until you can get more results that look like this at the relatively short distance you are shooting at, I would suggest you concentrate on your shooting fundamentals, and less on what length grip/magazine you use.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your shot groups could stand some improvement. Perhaps seek some instruction from a qualified trainer in your area.

Good luck to you, and enjoy the pistol.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your reading comprehension skills could use some improvement as well. I acknowledged that in my original post. This was the third time ever shooting this gun let alone a .45. Please re-read my original post. Thank you.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by lnferno View Post
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your reading comprehension skills could use some improvement as well. I acknowledged that in my original post. This was the third time ever shooting this gun let alone a .45. Please re-read my original post. Thank you.
    Now now, let's all get along.

FWIW, OP, I've seen a lot worse shooters than you, with easier to shoot guns. And a year ago my shot groups were worse than yours. Keep practicing. The point of my post was to show you how well this gun can shoot (and perhaps maybe just a tiny little bit to show off). Also FWIW, I never had "formal" training.

Agreed. As I mentioned in my first post, I know that it's me that needs practice. With my XDM9, I can tear up the bullseye consistently. The XDs is a new gun and caliber to me and as such, it's going to take practice.
    NRA Member

I was thinking about getting the XDs. OP have you shot any other 45's that you can compare the two guns to?

Quote Originally Posted by lnferno View Post
    Agreed. As I mentioned in my first post, I know that it's me that needs practice. With my XDM9, I can tear up the bullseye consistently. The XDs is a new gun and caliber to me and as such, it's going to take practice.
    Even by .45 standards the XDs is not an easy gun to shoot. I frequently find myself anticipating the recoil and shooting low because of it. I had to practice with the gun a lot when I first got it to shoot accurately with it. Plus sighting with it is a little different than other pistols. As opposed to putting the top of the front sight on my aim point, I put the center of the fiber optic front sight on my aim point, and have had much better luck that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links