XDs Range Report: 5rd mag vs 5rd mag w/Pearce Extension vs 7rd mag

This is a discussion on XDs Range Report: 5rd mag vs 5rd mag w/Pearce Extension vs 7rd mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been anxious to test out these different mags (the standard 5rd mag, the standard 5rd mag w/Pearce extension, and then the 7rd mag. I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: XDs Range Report: 5rd mag vs 5rd mag w/Pearce Extension vs 7rd mag

I've been anxious to test out these different mags (the standard 5rd mag, the standard 5rd mag w/Pearce extension, and then the 7rd mag. I've only been to the range 2 times with my XDs and both times were shooting at a distance of 10'. This time out, I went to a different range and the targets were 27' - quite a bit further out than I'm used to shooting. So, regardless of what magazine I used, I definitely need more practice. :-)

My best results were with the 5rd mag with the Pearce extension. The next best results were with the standard 5rd mag, then last, the 7rd mag. That surprised me a little bit. Going into it, my preconceived notion was that the 7rd mag or the 5rd w/Pearce extension would have been the most accurate, but for me, the 7rd mag proved to be the least accurate. Again, these are my results -- I'm sure other people may experience different results.

Each target I shot 25 rounds at 27'.

First up, standard 5rd mag w/Pearce extension. Yup, hit the bullseye!

Second, the standard 5rd mag:

Last, the 7rd mag:

Now, off topic, but I love the humor of the gun range owner (he goes by "Dragon Man" - long story, but you can check out his website if you are interested: Dragonmans - Home. There's a long dirt road you drive up to get to the range. Here's the view as you drive up the long dirt road to get to the range:

NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

I've only shot about 350rds thru my xds.I did have a little better luck with the 7rd mag but,my paws are kinda big.My pinky has nothing to grab on the 5 rd.I haven't tried the 5rd mag w/pearce ext.Haven't run across one,but,when i do,i'm gonna try it.

I was surprised how much of a difference it made. I think I'm going to order another one actually for my other 5rd mag.
    NRA Member

Interesting pics! Thanks for the range report. My dad and I shot his and I noticed I did not do as well with the seven round mag. I just ordered him some Pearce, so we will need to try that soon.

I think once you get it dialed in you will have much better results. I found the xds surpisingly accurate at roughly the same distance with only the flush mag...this is assuming you are right handedTarget_chart.jpg
    pittypat21 likes this.

I'm a lefty :)
    NRA Member

With no extensions or funny business, I put all five rounds into about a 1-inch, 1-1/2 inch area at 7 meters (about 23 feet).

Every solid-line red square is an inch on this target.
    0120131258.jpg
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member
    I tend to get better accuracy with the shorter mags in my plastic carry guns, specifically the Shield. I was a bit surprised at this but I write it off as a subconscious application of the proper grip when the little finger has to entertain itself. With an extended mag, the little finger wants to participate maybe, I dunno.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    With no extensions or funny business, I put all five rounds into about a 1-inch, 1-1/2 inch area at 7 meters (about 23 feet).

Every solid-line red square is an inch on this target.
    0120131258.jpg
    OP - Until you can get more results that look like this at the relatively short distance you are shooting at, I would suggest you concentrate on your shooting fundamentals, and less on what length grip/magazine you use.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your shot groups could stand some improvement. Perhaps seek some instruction from a qualified trainer in your area.

Good luck to you, and enjoy the pistol.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

inferno, heres the lefty chart
    target lefty.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - Until you can get more results that look like this at the relatively short distance you are shooting at, I would suggest you concentrate on your shooting fundamentals, and less on what length grip/magazine you use.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your shot groups could stand some improvement. Perhaps seek some instruction from a qualified trainer in your area.

Good luck to you, and enjoy the pistol.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your reading comprehension skills could use some improvement as well. I acknowledged that in my original post. This was the third time ever shooting this gun let alone a .45. Please re-read my original post. Thank you.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by lnferno View Post
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your reading comprehension skills could use some improvement as well. I acknowledged that in my original post. This was the third time ever shooting this gun let alone a .45. Please re-read my original post. Thank you.
    Now now, let's all get along.

FWIW, OP, I've seen a lot worse shooters than you, with easier to shoot guns. And a year ago my shot groups were worse than yours. Keep practicing. The point of my post was to show you how well this gun can shoot (and perhaps maybe just a tiny little bit to show off). Also FWIW, I never had "formal" training.

Agreed. As I mentioned in my first post, I know that it's me that needs practice. With my XDM9, I can tear up the bullseye consistently. The XDs is a new gun and caliber to me and as such, it's going to take practice.
    NRA Member

I was thinking about getting the XDs. OP have you shot any other 45's that you can compare the two guns to?

Quote Originally Posted by lnferno View Post
    Agreed. As I mentioned in my first post, I know that it's me that needs practice. With my XDM9, I can tear up the bullseye consistently. The XDs is a new gun and caliber to me and as such, it's going to take practice.
    Even by .45 standards the XDs is not an easy gun to shoot. I frequently find myself anticipating the recoil and shooting low because of it. I had to practice with the gun a lot when I first got it to shoot accurately with it. Plus sighting with it is a little different than other pistols. As opposed to putting the top of the front sight on my aim point, I put the center of the fiber optic front sight on my aim point, and have had much better luck that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links