Need some recomendations

Need some recomendations

This is a discussion on Need some recomendations within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am looking into s snub nose revolver i want 357 so i can shoot .38 special out of it. i want to use it ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By multistage
  • 1 Post By high pockets

Thread: Need some recomendations

Need some recomendations

i am looking into s snub nose revolver i want 357 so i can shoot .38 special out of it. i want to use it for conceal carry what does every one recommend i would like a manual hammer or shrouded hammer. mostly pocket carry maybe some iwb. i want steel also i was looking at the taurus 605 .357 i like the feel of that but i want a steel frame. what are some ideas i cant deiced. i want metal 357 mag manual hammer probably shrouded so i can pocket carry not worry about snags. i don't like hammer less so that out of ? please help for advice thanks

Need some recomendations

Hey guy, I am a snubbie junkie an right now your best bet is a SP101 2.4 or a SW mod 60 I prefer the sp but either are great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skinner1790 View Post
    i am looking into s snub nose revolver i want 357 so i can shoot .38 special out of it. i want to use it for conceal carry what does every one recommend i would like a manual hammer or shrouded hammer. mostly pocket carry maybe some iwb. i want steel also i was looking at the taurus 605 .357 i like the feel of that but i want a steel frame. what are some ideas i cant deiced. i want metal 357 mag manual hammer probably shrouded so i can pocket carry not worry about snags. i don't like hammer less so that out of ? please help for advice thanks
    I would go hammerless myself, especially in the pocket carry.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

If you want a pocket gun in 357, the j frame is the way to go. For a hammer gun, the model 60 is as good as it gets. For a shrouded gun, the 649 is your guy, and for hammerless, the classic 640 (or 640 Pro, should you be lucky enough to find one) is tops. I gave my model 60 to my father as compensation for having to deal with me when I was young. He needed a good gun and had never owned a Smith. I feel better that he has something decent to carry.
    R040607 likes this.

Ruger sp101
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I like the 2-1/4" SP101, but It would be hard to call even the hammerless model a "pocket gun."
    gasmitty likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member
    A 649 has been on my list for some time. I pocket and IWB carry a 638 and it's so butt ugly but I love it. Seems like it needs a sibling. The hump backs are fine little weapons. I'd give them a look. Hump backs are kinda like Saabs. You either is, or you is ain't.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

The LCR is a great little revolver

357 magnum is a great round, especially in a full size pistol. however, if you are indoors, and you have to discharge it, you may have permanent Hearing loss.

If you want a good stopper, the 158 grain 38 is a tough round to beat......

If you shoot a 357 in a small snubbie, the recoil will be brutal

You also lose quite a bit of the 357 power in a 2 inch barrel......
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

S&W mod 60 or Ruger SP 101. You will save some money with Ruger.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

You may want to rethink that

You stated you wanted it for mainly pocket carry with occasionally IWB. While I have a selection of snubbies, I find as little as an ounce can make a huge difference in carrying comfort while in a pocket. While I have the 640, 60, and the Ruger SP mentioned, and several others, if I am grabbing a quick pocket piece I will always go for an air weight. It is that much easier/comfortable to carry. For me that is a big plus, it makes it much more comfortable and easier and therefor I tend to carry it and not make excuses not to. A pocket piece is all about convenience for myself and yes a little weight can make a dramatic difference, and they come with a hammer, hammerless, and shrouded. I suggest you ask to slip one into an empty pocket first a steel, than an airweight, then decide.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I have a S&W 642 that I pocket carry. As stated above, I would not have an exposed hammer in a pocket gun. The 642 trigger is o.k by S&W's (high) standards. I dropped in an Apex trigger kit and did some stoning. I feel it was worth the $25.
    The Ruger LCR is a very comparable revolver.

I would not go with an air weight pocket revolver in .357. I do not think the minimal velocity gain in such a short barrel justifies the recoil or muzzle blast. Carry a .38 +P. If you do want a .357, the SP 101 is a great gun. I OWB that in the woods, but it could comfortably ride IWB. Have a quality gun belt for this pistol.

Need some recomendations

I have a S&W 360PD. It is a J-frame revolver in a titanium/scandium package weighing 11.5oz. There is NOTHING easier to carry.

Many will suggest that you carry .38spcl for reduced recoil; that is not a bad suggestion either. But I choose to carry Double Tap 110gr Barnes in .357. They are stout! But manageable.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Ruger's revolvers are the Kats-Meow!

LCR
    Ruger® LCR® Double-Action Revolver Models

SP101
    Ruger SP101® Double-Action Revolver Models

GP100
    Ruger® GP100® Double-Action Revolver Models

They are what all others are measured by

IMHO stay away from Taurus like SARS-CoV

Have a 2.25" 357 SP101..LOVE it, but she's NOT a pocket gun IMHO. I think you need to look at an Airweight Smith J-Frame or the Ruger LCR. Good Luck, I'm sure you'll make a good choice.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Get a smith 642 with no lock while u still can....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Links