My new best (inanimate) friend!

This is a discussion on My new best (inanimate) friend! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A while back I was at the range and on a whim rented a 1911. A Wilson Combat. I learned that day that not only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: My new best (inanimate) friend!

A while back I was at the range and on a whim rented a 1911. A Wilson Combat. I learned that day that not only do I like the aesthetics and history of the 1911, I can shoot them pretty well!

Well, this weekend I caved to my desires and bought a new friend, trading in my reliable M&P .40c, which I will still recommend to anyone who asks. Filled out the paperwork, paid the nice man behind the counter and I'm now the proud owner of this beauty:

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

A Kimber Gold Match II. The pictures don't do the blued finish justice. Bought a box of 50 FMJs and hit the range where, as last time, I cut my group size in half, while shooting at a longer distance than usual. The trigger has about 1/8" of take-up, after which it breaks clean at a comfortable pressure, as opposed to the long, smooth pull of my former M&P.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Welcome to the club!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Nice Kimber, now remember 1911s are communal critters and you cannot have just one.
    revldm and DaveInEdmonds like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

now thats a shooter. AWESOME purchase. congrats

Yep. Nothing like a truly good trigger to aid in accuracy.

Looking good in understated blue with double-diamond checkered stocks!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Congrats! I enjoy shooting both of my 1911's
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member
    So jealous. That is beautiful.

I passed on a minty gov't model a few months ago and have been hating myself since. I haven't bought a 1911 in over two years and it's eating at me.

I like it, congrats paaiyan! I have its smaller cousin and I can say that it's a really sweet shooter. Enjoy!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I'm seeing a magazine in the gun, hammer cocked, thumb safety in fire mode and an object in the trigger guard...I really hope that thing isn't loaded..and yeah I carry a 1911 so I do know about the grip safety,but mechanical objects can fail
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm seeing a magazine in the gun, hammer cocked, thumb safety in fire mode and an object in the trigger guard...I really hope that thing isn't loaded..and yeah I carry a 1911 so I do know about the grip safety,but mechanical objects can fail
    It was unloaded. The safety was in the "off" position and the hammer cocked because I had just cleared it and hadn't reset them. I you look at the top of the picture with the flash you can see the reflection of the brass on one of the rounds I removed.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Very nice. Didn’t know that any pistol manufacturers cared about trigger pull anymore.
    "If you are scared you die every day. If you are not scared, you die only once." -Giovanni Falcone

Congrats on the new Kimber. Here's my last "I haven't bought a 1911 forever acquisition". Not the most expensive 1911, but I like it.

Disclaimer:
    1. No round in the chamber
    2. Magazine is empty
    3. Barrel is pointed towards a wall which is backed up by another 12" concrete block wall
    4. No animals were harmed in the making of this picture.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

You really went all out. Congrats, she's a beauty! I've been wanting a 1911 again for a LONG time now. Just have to stop buying S&W revolvers. Any help there, Brian?
    NRA Life Member

Can't be much help myself. I still have a "want" list of Smith & Wessons I want to play with and besides, I'm dually afflicted. I do like 1911 pistols, especially those from the company that first cranked 'em out.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Yea dude, I fell in love with the 1911 just last year and I now own three of them. A colt, a springfield and a Kimber. great guns. The Kimber is now my EDC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links