Hi End Pocket Carry- Snob Appeal or Worth The Cost? - Page 3

Hi End Pocket Carry- Snob Appeal or Worth The Cost?

This is a discussion on Hi End Pocket Carry- Snob Appeal or Worth The Cost? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They are both neat guns, but after reading up on both an looking at all thr range reviews I would not trust my life to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hi End Pocket Carry- Snob Appeal or Worth The Cost?

They are both neat guns, but after reading up on both an looking at all thr range reviews I would not trust my life to either. I don't mind spending money on guns I have three Gemini custom revolvers but I know without a doubt any of them will go boom if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    delete double post.

You never know if any firearm is any good till rounds are shot down range. Does not matter the make. I have zero inteest in high end guns just because there cost id high or because they look different. Only that they prove that they run well. A 250 dollar handgun if it selves the need is just fine. I am currenty please with several kahrs before those a pf-9 and taurus 85 ss for 20 years of cc'n.

I get kick out of all you guys who have never owned, shot or handeled the guns in question giving so much negitive advice advice about them.
    I have never owned a Rorbahw but I do have a Boberg and it is indeed the size of a P3AT except the butt is 1/2" longer and the gun is thicker, The advantage is it is a 9 mil. with a 3.3 inch brl. that fits in your pocket, Mine is very accurate and the felt recoil is half that of a PF9 (I have two of those), quality and finish are by far the best I have seen.
    Long term reliability and longevity remain to be determined.

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy 2 View Post
    I get kick out of all you guys who have never owned, shot or handeled the guns in question giving so much negitive advice advice about them.
    I have never owned a Rorbahw but I do have a Boberg and it is indeed the size of a P3AT except the butt is 1/2" longer and the gun is thicker, The advantage is it is a 9 mil. with a 3.3 inch brl. that fits in your pocket, Mine is very accurate and the felt recoil is half that of a PF9 (I have two of those), quality and finish are by far the best I have seen.
    Long term reliability and longevity remain to be determined.
    I think the negative comments are more concerned with the cost of the firearms, not necessarily their performance. They are high-end firearms with limited historical data on performance and longevity, as you have noted yourself.

All fair comments to be made when evaluating a new firearm. They are, in all reality, a high price gamble. You are happy with yours and I'm glad for you. That's the decision this OP must make as well. But, as said prior, there are many solutions to a small 9mm with far less subjective a history.

Wouldn't you agree?
    saa.
    detective likes this.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

If you have the money to indulge yourself, have at it. Custom/High End/ Heirloom guns are not "superior" guns in any way other than cosmetically or providing bragging rights. If I could, I'd own at least a half dozen Wilson Combat 1911's. but have no delusions about them being fail-safe. To each his own...one mans trash is another mans treasure.....Sandpiper

I considered those before deciding on two micro-compact 9mm's. They aren't cheap either, but have been flawless every time at the range. Kimber Solo CDP and Sig P938 SAS (bottom two pictured):

Kennydale likes this.

To the OP:

As a guy who loves high-end firearms, you could consider having a Colt Mustang (or maybe a Colt Defender; it would e heavier) customized by a top gunsmith. If it was the right guy, it would instantly appreciate. The feel would be incredible and it would be all yours.

Many of the newest .380 loads are close to standard pressure 9mm.

I have shot one of the bogergs. Not sure what model but think it was the one with some barrel over hang in front It was compairable to may cw9 kahr for size and recoil with the cm mag base on it height is also the same hieght but the cw9 is still lighter. bobergs is a good shooter , seemed reliable , But cost!! Still take cw9 evertime. Looking at the specs the S boberg is shorterbt 2.5 ths than the cm9 but thats all . The cm9 is lighter . kahrs are also+P rated .

The boberg is just another of many choice for some one to own in the sub compacts.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Too expensive...you can get about two of anything else for the cost of a Rohrbaugh, and have lots left over for ammo.
    I guess if you had the money and just WANTED it, great...certainly no attraction for me.OMOYMV

I love my Glocks...and I just bought a 'second' G-36 as a back up for the G-36 I have as my EDC.
    Not only are they more expensive, the description is pure BS. (25% more "knockdown" power?) ROTHFLOL!!!

-

I actually love pistols that cost as much as a car....Some of them are beautiful, some are unique. I used to spend a lot of money (that I didn't have) on guns that far surpassed their "actual value" either by virture of the builder, or the model. I've had the opportunity to buy guns in the late '80-mid '90's when the absolute heyday of new guns were the rage. The mantra was always the same..."they'll only appreciate in value", don't worry about it. To an extent, that CAN BE true...On the other hand...One can spend a fortune on Custom Pistols and Revolvers, only to realize that they will indeed be worth a fortune, though perhaps, sometime after the next Ice Age, if your family is still in possession of them, and there is money on the earth....Much like real estate...there are no guarantees. If I was a rich man, and had met all my moral obligations with money left over...I'd have a go at it. I got my first taste of this idea when I shot a 4 barreled COP pistol (38 Special/.357 Magnum) in the late '80's...it was then I realized that guns were far from just tools...they could be collectable. After a good long time collecting and watching the "hobby"....I'm convinced that there is little advantage for anyone who invests much more money in a gun beyond the Glock or S&W Revolver. Most of them will shoot, most of the time. You want to hope that your choice does just that....anything beyond is a desire and a hope. For me, if I have to go down swinging with a gun in my hand..it will be with a $3500 Wilson Combat 1911 as opposed to a Glock. Sometimes it's just about "style".... BTW, I have never owned either, I've been blue collar my entire life, but if Bill Wilson is watching....I'm with you brother....:) I love you man...... Sandpiper
    Last edited by Sandpiper; March 5th, 2013 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Not only are they more expensive, the description is pure BS. (25% more "knockdown" power?) ROTHFLOL!!!

-
    You ain't payin attention, no other 9x19 pistol that small has a 3.3 in. barrel thus more velocity more power.

SAA, I didn't say I was happy with it or unhappy with it, I just buy them to see what theyr about and move em on for something else.

John

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy 2 View Post
    You ain't payin attention, no other 9x19 pistol that small has a 3.3 in. barrel thus more velocity more power.

SAA, I didn't say I was happy with it or unhappy with it, I just buy them to see what theyr about and move em on for something else.

John
    You're right; I'm not paying much attention. Whenever, I see terms like "knockdown power" used by supposed professionals it gives me pause as to whether I can trust what they say. I don't doubt there may be some level of engineering that may give this gun a slight edge on performance over less expensive handguns. But, I would bet it would be negligible in a real world SD situation.

-

Those are two very nice guns. in the end you want something that does the job well. The Rorbaugh seems to have some sort of shelf life. and i would imagine the Boberg might be the same way, that after so many rounds maintenance is required. I have a brother in law, who is a retired police captain when in service he used a 357 Colt Python (I forget what his off duty was) But he simply feels that Sig Sauer is definitely the best out there. And I hear the same about HK and Kimber. i have shot 1990's Glock 17 that belongs to a friend, and was very impressed. I am still getting used to my Ruger SR40C. But someday I'd like to buy a 9mm for carry and home defense too. What I like about the Glock is that the optional magazines of same caliber will fit any Glock. i would love to be able to buy a Glock 26 gen4. Finances disctate that this will have to wait, but the thought is in my head. in other words.. it's nice to have a Hi End gun, but my UTILITARIAN side smartly is taking over. (PS) I do know people who have purchased $5k Wilson Combat, but they say the resale value makes it a good investment.

I've carried a Rohrbaugh for 3 years now and it's a great gun. I carried a kel-tec for several years before the Rohrbaugh, the mag came unseated 4 times. The rohrbaugh s mag has never came unseated while carrying. The Rohrbaugh is very dependable. We all carry what we can and I will always have my Rohrbaugh in my front pocket. Enjoy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links