Hi End Pocket Carry- Snob Appeal or Worth The Cost?

This is a discussion on Hi End Pocket Carry- Snob Appeal or Worth The Cost? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was watching YouTube on two very expensive Hi End pocket carry 9mm's the Robuagh 9S & the Boberg XR9S. considering these guns range from ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hi End Pocket Carry- Snob Appeal or Worth The Cost?

I was watching YouTube on two very expensive Hi End pocket carry 9mm's the Robuagh 9S & the Boberg XR9S. considering these guns range from $1300-1400. I guess this would be something you buy when you either hit lotto, or kidnap Rudolph and ransom him back to Santa for one of these. Basically i could buy 3 Rugers or two Glocks. And usually i am a very utilitarian type person. but if i had the loose change around, I would really like that Boberg. Is it snob appeal or are these guns really set apart from the rest?

The Products - R9 series | Rohrbaugh Firearms

Boberg XR9 | Best 9mm Pocket Pistol On Earth

2. Remove Ads

Too expensive...you can get about two of anything else for the cost of a Rohrbaugh, and have lots left over for ammo.
    I guess if you had the money and just WANTED it, great...certainly no attraction for me.OMOYMV

I love my Glocks...and I just bought a 'second' G-36 as a back up for the G-36 I have as my EDC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"Snob" appeal? It's never mattered to me what the look, price or anything else was on a given firearm. The only thing that has mattered to me is whether it functioned flawlessly and could get the job done. There are a wide range of guns that can do that, of all shapes, sizes and prices. Even with pocket carry.

That said, many guns have their proponents and fans. A good percentage of these are wholly justified. But it's good there are so many choices out there. We all get a lot of options to choose from.

For myself, the Rohrbaugh has never really appealed to me. The Boberg looks interesting, though it's too new of a design for me to pay much attention at this point. Needs more "mileage." Check out the Kahr CM9, PM9, as well. Or the S&W Shield. Or any of the quality snub-nosed revolvers (ie, S&W, Ruger). Any one of these ought to be able to hold its own, for the purpose.
    MrsHB likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Pretty fancy guns, but your paying more for quality parts and construction than reliability. There are cheaper guns that just as reliable, but if you can afford the best might as well get the best.

I am very utilitatian, but IF I buy high end, it needs to look hi end. Both are so-so in the looks dept, not bad but not spectacular either. Kind of like a kahr cm9. For what they cost, I wouldnt touch them. For that kind of money I will go get me a SIG P239 Scorpion in .40 cal. Its still exspensive, but at least it looks exspensive too. And its a SIG. And it looks cool. Or Ill go buy a few glocks, or a glock and an M&P, or a few M&P's, or a 1911, or Used 1911 and a used glock.......... Simply put, unless money is no object spend wisely and buy a crapton of ammo with it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Me personally, If I am paying anything over 1000 I am looking for a 1911 or somthing with a supressor. I have yet to pay over 1000 for any one Pistol.

Look up Infinity Arms if you want high end.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

VIP Member
    They look good to me, but I don't like to carry something so expensive. If you have to use it you may never get it back. I will stick with my Glocks or Ruger LC9. The most expensive gun I carry these days is my 938EQ thats about 750.00. My Kimbers and Colts are parked in the safe for range day.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

saa
    Price is not an issue for me in deciding which firearm to buy. That said, I pay for performance, reliability, and reputation. Those two you mention don't add up for me.

Glocks are less than half the price - and performance and value is flawless.
    Colts, and STI's can come close in price, but they have the backing to make them a value - to me. (just MHO).

There are so many proven manufacturers of exceptional pocket guns for less then half that price, I would give them a pass and look at Kahr, Sig, Colt, Glock, SW, STI, and many other top names with years of historical success.

Just my .02.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

In the examples the OP mentions-the Rohrbaugh and the Boberg--these are both 9mm pistols in a .380 size package.

Not an easy, or inexpensive thing to do.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I considered buying a Rorbaugh R9 when I was making good money a couple years back. Unfortunately it's not built to high quality standards. Even their customer service recommends you only fire enough rounds to ensure reliability, as the guns aren't built for "frequent use". With such a small firearm I would want to practice a lot, and even Rorbaugh admits it won't hold up long term under frequent use. I'm unfamiliar with the Boberg, but it appears to be a concept type feeding system that hasn't been tested in combat. If you want an exotic pocket 9mm check out the H&K P7 series.
    Kennydale likes this.

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    In the examples the OP mentions-the Rohrbaugh and the Boberg--these are both 9mm pistols in a .380 size package.

Not an easy, or inexpensive thing to do.
    True, however, that doesn't make them a good value. It doesn't prove out the engineering of such a platform, or of their platform, and reliability, longevity, and resale prices are all "to be determined."

I'm not saying these are not fine pistols. They are just not a value to me as a buyer. My recommendation to this OP would be to check out the available pocket guns from historic manufacturers.

Your comments are 100% true though, and to be considered in this op's decision. Only he can spend his money, and live with the choice.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

Those are nice guns but I got both my Kahr K9 and MK9 for that price. Both are great guns and look great! Especially my MK9 with wood grips. But better yet, They are GREAT, RELIABLE shooters!
    Kennydale likes this.

If you MUST have a 9mm in a .380 sized package, then I guess the R9 is "worth" it. However, they eat recoil springs, and have to have them changed at frequent intervals (which is why they come with a spare). That alone suggests possible reliability issues if you actually train with it.

I really wanted to like the Boberg, but the price went up to the point of insanity. The pull-back feed mechanism can also pull the case off the bullet if the bullet is not seated properly - and the resulting jam and spilled powder is a mess to clean up. I'm not convinced that the extra barrel length the design affords is worth the risk.

As I have stated before, due to personal experience, I have zero interest in a 9mm pistol smaller than a Glock 26 anymore - just too many issues. That role is now reliably filled by my LCR, without the drama that is often associated with micro 9's.
    Kennydale and Glockwatcher like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Snob appeal definitely. If you have the money and the desire to spend that much on a gun for things like range use, competition, impressing your friends whatever, go for it! I like nice things, be it cars, watches, clothes etc.

BUT when it comes to something like a life and death issue I want something that I know will work every time, all the time, seven days a week and twice on Sundays.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links