What a Girl Wants.....

This is a discussion on What a Girl Wants..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to the world of handguns. I have done extensive reasearch, to the point where I think it may have become an obsession ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What a Girl Wants.....

What a Girl Wants.....

I am new to the world of handguns. I have done extensive reasearch, to the point where I think it may have become an obsession :). I am planning on buying my first gun in the very near future. I have shot dozens of guns to get a feel for what I like. I want to eventually carry. The only semi-autos I enjoyed shooting were full size. There is no way I can conceal a full size pistol unless I'm wearing a parka. I also liked shooting the .38 revolver. I've decided that will be my first purchase, with something larger to follow close behind. While I tend to be fairly stubborn and opinionated, and I don't easily sway once I've made a decision, I can't help but notice that a girl carrying a .38 revolver seems to be rather cliche around here. I understand they are less accurate, but I've been to the range with 3 different snubbies, and I hit what I'm shooting at.

I guess what I'm asking is, Am I missing something?
    Snub44, Kilowatt3, Aceoky and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

I was definitely expecting the opening post to be ".... she gets". Welcome!
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

No, you're not missing something. It's just snubbie's can be difficult for inexperienced shooters. That doesn't seem to be a problem for you though. :)

Edit: I also applaud you for doing your due dilligence and testing out weapons first hand instead of going with just what somebody else thought would be "good" for you.
    AR15VSCoyote and Lish like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by renee7 View Post
    ... I understand they are less accurate, but I've been to the range with 3 different snubbies, and I hit what I'm shooting at.

I guess what I'm asking is, Am I missing something?
    I doesn't sound like you are missing a thing. Carry that .38 snubbie. I often do, myself.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

It's not required that one be less accurate with a snub. My wife is petite and can hit quite well with a J-Frame Smith & Wesson .38 revolver. So can I if I pay close attention to shooting fundamentals but a small snubbie wants to "worm and squirm" in my large hands if equipped with stocks that aid in concealment. Larger stocks address that problem for me but contribute to defeating the purpose of having a small, concealable revolver.

You are capable of doing a good job with shot placement with a good snub.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

...great choice...the snub will do what you tell it to...
    ...this article Snub Nose Revolvers and Point Shooting as well as others in the snubnose file and found by Googling Steven Camp and the .38 snub will give you info and ideas...for ammo, tactics, etc...

...welcome and enjoy...

Welcome!

A .38 is not "less accurate" than a semi-auto, but a snubby can be a little harder to shoot accurately than a longer-barreled semi-auto. A revolver is actually an excellent choice for a first handgun (not just for a girl) due to its reliability and simplicity of operation. Not much of a "manual of arms" in terms of loading, chambering rounds, safeties, clearing jams, etc. Another advantage is that you can pretty well establish the reliability of a revolver by running a few cylinders through it, as opposed to the several hundred rounds it takes to really vet a semi-auto.

If you can manage the size, I would highly suggest a 3" or longer barrel in preference to the shorter snubs.

Let us know what you decide on, then follow up with range reports!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Snubbies are accurate. Probably more than most can shoot them and therein lies the rub. All things being equal they are more difficult to shoot accurately due to their size, DA trigger pull and sight radius.

If you're willing to put in the time, they'll serve you well but if you're mortal like the rest of us, you need to put in the time (and probably lots of it)!

And I'll finish with my standard advice to all women shooters:

Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    It's not required that one be less accurate with a snub. My wife is petite and can hit quite well with a J-Frame Smith & Wesson .38 revolver. So can I if I pay close attention to shooting fundamentals but a small snubbie wants to "worm and squirm" in my large hands if equipped with stocks that aid in concealment. Larger stocks address that problem for me but contribute to defeating the purpose of having a small, concealable revolver.

You are capable of doing a good job with shot placement with a good snub.
    My Mom is 87 years old, and can keep six shots on a pie plate at 10 yards with my Colt Agent.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

My fiance has the SP101 .38/.357 and she is extremely accurate with it. It's fun going to the range and having shooting competitions with her :) Practice makes perfect and IMO, you can shoot whatever you'd like accurately if you practice, some guns need more than others.
    Snub44 and Blodeuwedd like this.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

VIP Member
    Get a smith 642 with no lock while u still can....the best of the best in snubbies
    PAPADALE1 likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Nope, you aren't missing anything. A revolver makes an excellent gun for anyone. I don't find them less accurate at all. Re-loading can be a little slower.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

If you shoot it well and it works 100%
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Welcome to DefensiveCarry

My wife loves her Beretta 96 IA Elite Brigadier (think full size 1911 with rail and "fatter " since it is .40 S&W) she can conceal it with the proper holster set up , but has a "Gun Tote'n Mama" concealment purse . She has looked at some smaller ones to carry easier but hasn't picked anything (she started off with an excellent pistol which she shoots very, very well) . So we go to LGS Sat and she is looking at some smaller pistols and some young guy fresh out of the army "tells her" that she "should get a revolver"- after 31 years of marriage I knew that was not a good idea! She has shot several (including a S&W Model 19 .357 I used to own) but prefers pistols for numerous reasons.
    Last edited by Aceoky; March 5th, 2013 at 04:39 PM.

Yep 3" Revolver is exactly what I was thinking too, and something with a bit of weight....no AirWeight guns and they can be a handful. Consider a Ruger SP-101, .38 Special. I believe they still make with with a 3# barrel.

Welcome and let us know what decision you take.

DP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Welcome!

A .38 is not "less accurate" than a semi-auto, but a snubby can be a little harder to shoot accurately than a longer-barreled semi-auto. A revolver is actually an excellent choice for a first handgun (not just for a girl) due to its reliability and simplicity of operation. Not much of a "manual of arms" in terms of loading, chambering rounds, safeties, clearing jams, etc. Another advantage is that you can pretty well establish the reliability of a revolver by running a few cylinders through it, as opposed to the several hundred rounds it takes to really vet a semi-auto.

If you can manage the size, I would highly suggest a 3" or longer barrel in preference to the shorter snubs.

Let us know what you decide on, then follow up with range reports!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links