My first concealed carry gun

This is a discussion on My first concealed carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at concealed carry. I expect to carry daily almost all of the time. I expect I will never be called upon to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My first concealed carry gun

I am looking at concealed carry. I expect to carry daily almost all of the time. I expect I will never be called upon to use my weapon so my considerations are to comfort and concealability. My plan is to carry a Glock 26 9mm. I figured this as it has the reliability of the brand Glock and is very small. If there are other weapons that would be better than this please point them out so I can go try them.

I am not concerned about the perceived loss of "stopping power" by choosing a 9mm. I think that the chances of me having to use my gun are very small, while I have to live with carrying it ALL the time so I would like smaller caliber to have cheaper practice and more bullets so that in the rare event I needed to shoot I would have extra shots available.

Again, my big question is comfort and concealability but I like semi-auto and I feel that Glock would not fail me in a pinch. Any ideas pro or con?

Thank you.
    Pyzik and Phaedrus like this.

Get a nice holster for your pistol. Try some hybrid holster.
    Pyzik likes this.

I have a Springfield xds .45acp as my edc. Thinner than a glock. Yes it's a .45, but that's what I wanted. It's small enough for me to pocket carry. Size 42 relaxed fit wranglers. Maybe try some different guns and see which feels best for YOU. Most of all, it got ME. Which is all that matters.

Bob

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362595624.427221.jpg

Here she is. In all her glory. Lol

Have you considered a single stack 9mm? Maybe something like a Ruger LC9, Kahr CM9, or Beretta Nano? You might be "sacrificing" a little bullet capacity but I believe that you will find the single stacks to be more comfortable and concealable. If you are set on the Glocks you certainly aren't making a bad choice at all. However any high quality firearm from a big name in firearms will prove to be very reliable. As stated in the post before me a good fitting holster is huge to the comfort of carrying. I am just throwing out other options as you may find depending on what kind of pants you where you may be able to pocket carry a single stack 9mm. Also don't rule out the "stopping power" of a 9mm. Shot placement is everything! A well placed shot from a 9mm will prove to be fatal a lot quicker than a miss from a 45acp. Good luck and you have come to the right place for these questions. A lot of great and informative people on here.

Jason
    I would rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

After months, nay years of research, I settled on a Glock 26 for my EDC. It was just a matter of time and money. THEN, I came across a Beretta Nano. All I can say is WOW! It was love at first sight, and it followed me home. I still want a Glock, prolly a G19 first (I know, I know, good luck finding one), then maybe eventually a G26. But I love my Nano. The build quality, I think, is a step above Kahr and Ruger (now, that's just my not so honest opinion, don't flame me or hijack the thread). There WERE reliability issues with the first few production runs (fte's, youtube it), but I have had no issues, none, zero, zip, nada. I haven't read any RECENT posts about fte's and such. I HIGHLY recommend looking at and considering a Beretta Nano.
    Phaedrus likes this.

G26 is a good gun, but you might want to look at an M&P 9C or a Shield before you "pull the trigger" on a purchase. The 9C is very similar in size and function, and a lot of people find they like it better than a Block, myself included. It might also be a tad cheaper.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I think the G26 is a very good choice. I see you're in Texas and I know what the Summers are like there. The G26 is very accurate, just large enough to be controllable even with hotter defensive loads, and small enough with a good belt/holster combo to carry under a t-shirt. Get some good aftermarket night sights (I like Ameriglo or XS Sights) and practice alot to include dry firing and practicing drawing/holstering with an empty cleared weapon. After you can really feel comfortable doing this would I load it up for daily carry.

DP

With a good holster the 26 is very comfortable for me. I have a Galco King Tuk. Great all around gun and easy to put rounds on target. Also have an XDS .45 and while I'm not recoil sensitive follow up shots are a lot easier with the 9mm- also cheaper to practice with and the increased capacity make it my favorite. Do handle these different guns and shoot them if you can though. Glocks do have blocky grips and you may want something thinner

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime_077 View Post
    Have you considered a single stack 9mm? Maybe something like a Ruger LC9, Kahr CM9, or Beretta Nano? You might be "sacrificing" a little bullet capacity but I believe that you will find the single stacks to be more comfortable and concealable. If you are set on the Glocks you certainly aren't making a bad choice at all. However any high quality firearm from a big name in firearms will prove to be very reliable. As stated in the post before me a good fitting holster is huge to the comfort of carrying. I am just throwing out other options as you may find depending on what kind of pants you where you may be able to pocket carry a single stack 9mm. Also don't rule out the "stopping power" of a 9mm. Shot placement is everything! A well placed shot from a 9mm will prove to be fatal a lot quicker than a miss from a 45acp. Good luck and you have come to the right place for these questions. A lot of great and informative people on here.

Jason
    One of the things I liked about the Glock 26 is that I could use any magazine upto the 33 round ones. For concealed carry maybe 10 rounds but when I go out practicing I could if I wanted use 17 or 33 rounds. Don't know how useful that is, but I love versatility. Also, it seems that the glock can take all of the accessories that I might want to add.

Does the difference in 6 or 8 rounds to 10 rounds feel a lot better for concealed carry??? Or do I have to be a gun nut to notice the difference. I see the Beretta nano is a bit lighter than the 26, which suggests I will like carrying it all day better. I'm not sure how bad that is though. Right now I OC for work and don't even really notice the gun weight unless I'm moving fast. I would think with CC I would notice it even less, especially with a smaller gun.

Glock schmock....... Get you one of these !!! Big-Gun--Worlds-largest-firing-revolver-unveiled- By Polish-Worker) - YouTube

All kidding aside the G26 is a fine defense weapon and will serve you well. Given the current lack of 9mm ammo, I would also consider the G 27, as .40 cal is more abundant right now. The beretta nano is also a fine weapon, and is significantly smaller than the G26. I personally would be fine with either one. The G 26 is 1.18" wide, while to NANO is 0.90" wide.... thats a preetty good difference. I would try both an a LGS and see which feels the best to you and go from there....although the NANO only comes in 9mm flavor.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

The Glock-26 is a GREAT choice!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

First, your consideration of comfort and concealability as first and second concern should be your third and forth. While important that you be able to conceal and be somewhat comfortable doing it, your primary concerns should be first that the gun you choose be one you can shoot accurately repeatably and second, reliability. Concealibility and comfort can be addressed after these since you can tailor your choice of holster and clothing to accomplish both once a gun is chosen.

That being said as long at the G26 is a gun that fits the primary concern of being one you can shoot accurately then the rest is easily doable. It's one of the most reliable designs and is easily concealable. Also the G19 which is a slightly larger gun but still very concealable is one of the most carried guns out there. It's a little easier to handle than the 26 do to a bit more grip length and a bit more accurate due to the slightly longer barrel. That with the increased magazine capacity of 15 rounds makes it one worth consideration.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by cnulsen View Post
    One of the things I liked about the Glock 26 is that I could use any magazine upto the 33 round ones. For concealed carry maybe 10 rounds but when I go out practicing I could if I wanted use 17 or 33 rounds. Don't know how useful that is, but I love versatility. Also, it seems that the glock can take all of the accessories that I might want to add.

Does the difference in 6 or 8 rounds to 10 rounds feel a lot better for concealed carry??? Or do I have to be a gun nut to notice the difference. I see the Beretta nano is a bit lighter than the 26, which suggests I will like carrying it all day better. I'm not sure how bad that is though. Right now I OC for work and don't even really notice the gun weight unless I'm moving fast. I would think with CC I would notice it even less, especially with a smaller gun.
    As I said before the Glocks I think are great guns. I use to own a G-23 which is a little bigger than the G-26 and was also a 40 S&W. I sold it to fund the buying of my SR9c and LCR 357 mag. No it was not a one for two trade, though I wish. I found the glock to be a little too bulky to conceal carry so I found myself using a paddle holster and OC it all the time. Here in Militiagan it is not a problem but I don't know Texas laws that well. I think that again some people will argue to have more rounds available for safety but then again a lot of people are carrying the 7+1 single stack 9mm and others are carrying the 5 shot minature revolvers. There has also been threads on the board about carrying an extra mag just in case. Truthfully I never thought about it either but I think I started when I started carrying my SR-1911. I guess my recommendation is that if you get the Glock I would use the smaller mags and buy another one of equal size to keep in your weak side pocket. A lot of malfunctions with semi autos can be caused by the magazines themselves so I would carry a second as to not put all your eggs in one basket or carry a BUG (back up gun). This is what I do and I know many others on here do the same.

Again I think the Glocks are very reliable and when looking at the newest versions of guns on the market its hard to argue against the fact that a lot are copying parts of the Glocks but I also think the others are improving on the design to make them thinner. I can only give you what my experience was with mine so I will try to stay subjective vs objective. In any right a great holster makes all the difference in comfort and bar none you have to get something that is comfortable to carry or you will find it setting in the drawer at home more times than not.

Good Luck

Jason
    I would rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by cnulsen View Post

For me, the difference in capacity is a non-issue. Or a better way to say that: I have more pressing concerns/higher priorities than mag capacity. For me, concealibility is the first priority. The Nano is more concealable for me than the G26, but not by much. If capacity was a higher priority than concealability/size-weight, the G26 would win, obviously. After concealablity was relibility. I need to know that when I need the weapon to save my life, it will go bang. What can you say about the G26? Glock makes some of the most reliable handguns on the planet, period. I took a chance with the Nano because early production runs had issues with fte's and the ejector mechanism. But when I looked at those reviews, I noticed they were at least a year and half old. I gambled that Beretta fixed these issues on the newest production models. And so far, I have had zero issues. After concealability and reliability was price. It was a bonus that the Nano was $200 cheaper then the G26. That sealed the deal. When I could buy the Nano, a pricey IWB hybrid holster, my cfp, and take my wife out to dinner for the same price as only the G26, the decision was obvious...to me. Your priorities may be different. If you OC at work, concealability is probably less of a concern, in which case the G26 would win out, I think. And as you mentioned, you can use different mags in different models of the same caliber. You can't do that with Beretta or S&W (from what I understand, even the same model lines, the M&P series, does not have interchangeable mags. That's totally ridiculous).

One final thought: If concealability is the lowest of your priorities, you might consider a G19, which some people (I mean, a lot of freakin' people) consider to be the best 9mm mass-produced pistol...EVER! And with a G19, now your in the territory of a respectable IDPA gun. The G26 and Nano would work for IDPA, but if the G19 would work, that would be my first choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links