How can I tell if a gun is really "factory new"?

This is a discussion on How can I tell if a gun is really "factory new"? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking of buying an M&P 9mm compact from a guy online. I'm supposed to go look at it next week and I'm wondering if there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How can I tell if a gun is really "factory new"?

Question How can I tell if a gun is really "factory new"?

Thinking of buying an M&P 9mm compact from a guy online. I'm supposed to go look at it next week and I'm wondering if there is a way to tell if it is really "factory new" as he claims? What should I look for?

I usually buy from local gun shops but with the recent gun craze going on it has become hard to find what I'm looking for all of the shelves are empty.

Thanks for your help

VIP Member

If he's a private individual then it's used. If he's a licensed FFL and you pay tax on the purchase, it's probably new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Taurahe and dV8r like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I dont know what "factory New" is. its either brand new or its used..... LNIB, shot once, LN, etc....its still used and gets a used price regardless.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

He's an FFL dealer and claims it's brand new from the factory.

If he is a dealer and you are quesyioning the "new" status of a gun before you see it... should you really be doing business with them? Im not understanding why you think he will rip you oiff that you need to verify the newness of a weapon, but thats what I call a red flag......
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Just ask the gun politely if it is or isn't in fact fresh out of the womb.
    Taurahe and DJC7 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

In all seriousness, I'm not a hundred percent sure. I usually resort to my ever so smart phone with questions like these. However, since I've been dealing with the same LGS for years, I tend not to question him and have never found evidence upon returning home to suggest I've been mislead.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

IMO, factory NIB means: the original factory box, sealed; the original gun, in factory cosmo/oil and bagged; the original spent cartridge; the original tester's document/tag; the number/type of magazines and other items shipped from the factory; and no signs of wear and tear once you open everything up.

Anything else is basically "used." Though, of course, there are many levels of "use," from simply having an opened box, to a "safe queen" that's been shot only a handful of times, to something well-worn from years of carry (ie, a police trade-in, in a department known for its heavy training schedule on its duty weapons).

If you're really wanting to ensure a legitimately new NIB gun, then I'd suggest shopping at a known quantity. Find a shop that everyone swears up and down is a great shop, an honest shop, one that has earned that reputation over the course of many years. Only buy where you're able to inspect everything ahead of time, including the original box/documents/spares. If you really want to have a level of certainty above and beyond that, only shop at a place that allows something like a 3-day no-shoot guaranteed return policy. Though, most of us settle for far less than that, as our experience allows for greater comfort level with situations. No telling when you're getting snowed on some level. Though, outright wear and tear can be easier to spot. And it's simple enough to come to a shop well prepared, by knowing exactly what you should be seeing in a "factory NIB" box. JMO.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    If he is a dealer and you are quesyioning the "new" status of a gun before you see it... should you really be doing business with them? Im not understanding why you think he will rip you oiff that you need to verify the newness of a weapon, but thats what I call a red flag......
    I've never done business with this gentleman, I'm not doubting that it's new I just wanted to know if there was something I should look for to tell if it has been used other than the factory test fire. He's a machinist and they do custom work on firearms so I doubt they would risk putting their name out there in a negative way by selling a used gun at a new price but you never know.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    I've never done business with this gentleman, I'm not doubting that it's new I just wanted to know if there was something I should look for to tell if it has been used other than the factory test fire. He's a machinist and they do custom work on firearms so I doubt they would risk putting their name out there in a negative way by selling a used gun at a new price but you never know.
    I don't think there's a way "for sure". Darn near all guns come tested from the factory so the barrel and other parts are going to be a little dirty. Obviously there shouldn't be any real signs of use that come with normal wear and tear (like mags that have been scuffed down their length or other areas that are prone to showing wear through use). The firearm should look tested, not used.
    Taurahe likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Sometimes that "factory new" gun is used. Many gun shops sell the "display" model. Have you ever held a "new" revolver and asked the sales person "Can I dry fire it?" and then do so when you get the affirmative?

If you have had good luck with the guy, then I wouldn't worry about it.....and once you buy it "new" it's "used," even if you never shoot it. If I want a new gun, I go to an LGS. If I want a used gun, even if the used gun is unfired, I buy face to face in a private sale. That's just the general usage in the trade....

Its gonna last for 50-100 years... why are you worried about a day's worth of shooting?
    bugboy likes this.

I like em already broke in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Thats a good point. I didnt mean to imply that was case, just the vibe i got. If it is in the original factory box, with owners manual, 2 mags, test casing signed by the test, lock etc then I would call it a new gun.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Its gonna last for 50-100 years... why are you worried about a day's worth of shooting?

Probably because the price of a used gun is less than the price of a new gun.
    And who ever said it was a "day's worth" of use???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links