Comfortable IWB?

This is a discussion on Comfortable IWB? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here is my setup: Glock 23 with CBST Ruger SR40c with Remora & N82 Pro Holster Wilderness Instructors Belt Jeans a size too large ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Comfortable IWB?

Comfortable IWB?

So here is my setup:

Glock 23 with CBST
    Ruger SR40c with Remora & N82 Pro Holster
    Wilderness Instructors Belt
    Jeans a size too large

What am I missing?

I keep attempting to find the perfect setup, but cannot figure it out. I am 6'5'' and 185lb and have tried concealing 2-6 O'clock. I simply cannot find a configuration that doesn't feel like my gun belt is trying to strangle my waist. What is your perfect IWB setup?

2. Remove Ads

i go 4 oclock with my chiappa and 1911 gov, in one size too big jeans Plus Under Shirt
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

VIP Member
    Comfortable = what I have is a Kel Tec PF9 with a crossbreed style hybrid holster. That's comfortable. What I now carry most is a Glock 20SF 10mm either with a Milt Sparks watch six IWB holster or IWB with a MIC holster covering that trigger while it's still coat season.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    As popular as they are, I have never been able to get a hybrid to fit comfortably, regardless of postition. The Brommeland Max-Con V is the most comfortable leather holster I have for my Glock 19, while my Midworld custom kydex works great for my larger DeltaPoint-equipped Glock 17. I have made my own kydex holster for my S&W 1006, similar to the Midworld. For me, a wide, thin contoured holster is critical for comfort and concealment.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

M&P 9c In a Crossbreed Supertuck. I'm lefty so mine is at 8:00. On an Ares Ranger nylon belt. Mine is comfortable. I've always had a problem keeping my pants up. So I understand I'm going to have trouble with the added weight of a firearm.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

I think comfortable iwb is a myth, but carrying in the appendix position has been least unpleasant for me.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Glock 27, milt sparks versa max 2(which I purchased from an above poster) about 4'oclock and I cant see anything being much more comfortable than that..........but you know how holsters go.....theres always a desire to try out another to put in the drawer if it fails the test

I wear a LC9 at 4:00 in a nylon belt clip IWB and western vest to cover it most of the time.
    I have the Remora, belly band, and Ne santus leather. Sometimes I carry in the belly band (large size) in cross draw position high on my torso so that the gun is right under my left Pectorial. Drawing from this position would require losing a button or two.

The main thing is find a holster and position that is reasonably comfortable and practice (unloaded!) draw and dry firing. It should be done enough that it is second nature.

I'm pretty comfortable with a similar setup: M&P Shield in a Remora and a Wilderness Instructor type belt with oversize jeans. I wear the gun at 3:30 with the rear sight in line with the outer leg seam of my jeans. Sometimes my waist still gets tired from the belt, but most days it's fine. I think some people are just more sensitive to the tightness of the belt.

I tried the Shield in an Old Faithful hybrid and in a Kholster hybrid. They were both too uncomfortable for me. I've decided hybrids are not for me.

When you put your Ruger in the Remora in your waistband without tightening the belt, does it feel snug already? If so, sounds like you need to go up another size in your jeans.

A MaxTuck hybrid IWB holster from White Hat Holsters Concealed Handgun Holsters and Holster Parts & Accessories - White Hat

MaxTuck Black Cowhide-172.jpg

I put moleskin on the back of the holster for a little extra comfort. You can buy a role of moleskin at any drug store...usually it is stocked by the foot products.

I carry at 3 o'clock.

Pants one size larger.

5.11 Belt

Before wearing the holster, I rolled up the leather in all directions both inside out and outside in to help soften the leather a bit so that it would conform to my side a little better (hope that makes sense).
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    So here is my setup:

Glock 23 with CBST
    Ruger SR40c with Remora & N82 Pro Holster
    Wilderness Instructors Belt
    Jeans a size too large

What am I missing?

I keep attempting to find the perfect setup, but cannot figure it out. I am 6'5'' and 185lb and have tried concealing 2-6 O'clock. I simply cannot find a configuration that doesn't feel like my gun belt is trying to strangle my waist. What is your perfect IWB setup?

What you're missing is that comfort is subjective.

Every one of us is built differently. What works for one person may or may not work as well for another. Add to that the differences in gun and gear, and you've already got quite a lot of variables. And even if those two are build identically and use the same gun and gear, there's still the catch-all of comfort being a totally subjective perception, unique to the individual.

Sadly, this is a near-continual quest that we're all on. Most concealed-carriers will have a drawer-full of gear that simply did not measure-up.

OWB is more comfortable, but I live in Houston, so because of the hot summers, IWB is the best for concealment. CBST with XD9, but my pants/shorts size is 1" larger than I need to accomadate for the holster and gun
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Bear Creek Holster <Horse Hide> on an Orion Leather belt. Levi's Black-Jeans one size larger than usual.
    Hides under a tee shirt in Florida all day

I fell in love with a PJ Holster IWB holster. I have an SOE cobra belt. Sometimes I need to wear a thin base layer for comfort between my skin and the holster. I may try the idea of moleskin on the holster for comfort. Unfortunately it is a matter of trying different configurations to find out what is comfortable. I did loose about 10 pounds so my love handles were not pushing so hard on the holster too much.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    I am 6'5'' and 185lb ...
    Perhaps you might not have enough inherent "padding" around your hips to comfortably support a ~7" pistol. While perhaps not a "bean pole," at 185 lbs there isn't much to go around on a 6'5" frame. Something to consider, where the holster's shape and how it spreads the load on you will need to take up the slack in this regard.

Is the particular belt+holster a rock-solid platform on your body, and are you certain it's effectively spreading the load around your hips? Or, on your body is that combination able to allow a larger holstered gun to tug down on that spot and create "hot" spots?

Which different holsters have you tried, with these guns? Keep in mind that not all holsters work for a given person's hip/waist shape. Everyone's combination of curves, protrusions and "padding" is different.

As you're finding, the way through to success is found via trial and error. (Which is why most of us have a good number of holsters in the drawer.) While the specific shape and cut of the pants you wear will have a contribution in the comfort arena, largely it's going to be the belt, holster and positioning that's going to allow for spreading of the load across your hip, avoiding hot spots and pressure points, conforming to the curves/bumps you have on you. Hard to find out what's best without trying a wide variety.

Suggestion: try a couple of quality holsters that are widely known for their comfort and design. Perhaps consider giving a Crossbreed SuperTuck a whirl, which has their "try-it-free guarantee." Consider designs such as the Milt Sparks VMII, Del Fatti ISP, TT Gunleather Convertible Pancake, UBG Canute, Nossar Stingray and similar. I've got a DC Special holster from H.B.E. Specialty Leatherworks that's fairly comfortable with a full-sized pistol; based off the basic VMII design.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links