Shield 9/ G26 at the range today Not Impressed

This is a discussion on Shield 9/ G26 at the range today Not Impressed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally got some time to make it to the range this morning. There was 8 boxes of 9mm when the door opened and it was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Shield 9/ G26 at the range today Not Impressed

Shield 9/ G26 at the range today Not Impressed

Finally got some time to make it to the range this morning. There was 8 boxes of 9mm when the door opened and it was gone in the first 10 minutes but I snagged 2 boxes. Anyway this was my first day at the range with my shield 9mm and I brought my gen3 Glock 26 along. I was NOT impressed with the shield at all, maybe I got my hopes up too much. My glock just felt more solid than the shield Im not sure how to explain it. I did not like how loose the magazine felt in the shield but it didnt effect anything so oh well. Im not a super glock fan but my glock was excellent as always. The shield Shot Great as well, very accurate, not a hiccup so all was not lost. Im going to give the shield a chance and not sell it because it performed just fine. It just doesnt feel as solid as my other guns...

2. Remove Ads

GH
    At least you have a couple of handguns that you know will shoot. I guess that's the main consideration.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Im not sure how to explain it.
    I'm not sure what you are talking about. My Shield feels quite solid. True, it doesn't feel as solid as a metal framed pistol but it doesn't feel any more/less solid than most polymer guns that I have shot.

Do you think you impressions have something to do with the thinness of the grip?

VIP Member
    If you did an apples to apples comparison to other single-stack 9's, I suspect you'd be more pleased with the Shield.

I think my PM9 is an excellent firearm, but it pales in comparison to the G26.

saa
    Well, your comparison isn't really fair - to be fair to both guns. You would need to compare the shield to a kahr single stack, an LC9, or a Sig single stack.

The Glock's feel of stability is inherent in it's design. It's a heavy gun and 9mm fires very smoothly in that platform. No fault of the Shield, it's just a completely different end result designed into the single stack, light body 9mm's.

So you have a super solid, stable platform for your EDC (G26, which is my main EDC as well), and you have a much smaller (thin!!) and lighter platform for times when concealment is needed.

The more you shoot the Shield, the more you'll get used to what I call the "snap" recoil of those light guns. i also have a 9mm Shield in my CCW lineup, and I enjoy the way it shoots (after much range time). I also use a Ruger LC9 which feels just like the shield. Not bad - just different. You get used to pulling that nose back down onto target for your follow-ups.

Both are wonderful guns for those who have to choose one or the other. None of the light single's would replace my G26 if I had to choose only one. The Glock would be it and I'd deal with concealment. Luckily, I have a few options.

Enjoy the range time and you'll like it more and more. Practice doesn't make perfect, but it does make confidence. In a stressful situation, that's the best quality to have in your corner.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

I shot 400rnds out of the shield today. Im thinking I will like it alot more when it is broken in. The recoil was fine and the gun did everything I wanted it to. Maybe I didnt realize how smooth and stable my G26 was ? Its Not a fair comparison at all from a buyers standpoint I get that. This is just me comparing 2 guns I own. For some strange reason I get a new gun ,get disappointed the first time I shoot it and later find my self loving it. yes I am crazy, Im aware. Thats why I always give new guns a chance instead of canning them after 1 range session like I see alot of people do lol
    ironmike86 likes this.

I think you did not know what to expect. The single stack Sheild is not going to feel as full in the hand as any Glock does. That's a huge difference. Not really worth comparing the two based on that criteria.

You mentioned the accuracy and performance was great. Those are the important details.

A thin, single stack, short grip pistol of any brand is going to feel more flimsy in the hand than the double stack. It's going to feel like it's less secure in the hand for most people. But even that description is subjective in nature.

A lot of people feel like pistols such as the Ruger LCP & LC9, Kel-Tec P3AT & PF9, M&P Sheild, Sig P238, P239, & P938 and similar sized single stack subcompacts all feel like they want to climb out of your hand when shooting them because of the recoil and tiny grip size.

A person should understand what to expect from the weapons characteristics and be willing to devote a little bit of time and effort to get used to shooting that type of pistol.

The important thing I took from your post (since I have a Shield) is that, as expected, the gun functioned flawlessly and was accurate and reliable.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yes Bark'n you are correct. Reliable and Accurate so far and thats all I need at the end of the day. Im going to go run another 400 rounds this weekend so I should be onboard with the feel of the gun by then. Forgot to mention I kept wanting to wrap my Index around the trigger instead of just pull it with the pad of my finger since the grip is so thin, Has this happened to you or is this ok ?
    Bark'n likes this.

I have pretty short fingers to start with. So that hasn't been an issue that I've picked up on. I have about 800 rounds through my Shield so far.

But that definitely can be an issue for people with hams for hands. I believe Hickok45 mentioned that in his YouTube review on it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have a 9mm Shield and really like it. But lets be honest its not better than what it competes with, it is slimmer than it's competition but not like its better unless its just its ability to hide under a shirt. BUT the XDS 9mm that's out soon will give it a run for its money. But gun for gun the glocks are hard to beat 26, 27, etc,. They are just fat but very accurate. And a lot of the people that have both and they really like the feel of the Shield shoot the glock better so its a go figure thing. It's kinda what happened to me after getting the shield and shooting it side by side with the glock 26 I shoot the glock better but like how the shield feels. Its very hard to figure which I should keep. I can move the Shield for more than I paid for it. I don't see a need to keep both. I know that its not apples to apples. But they the shield and the glock 26 were kinda out there for the same reasons concealment. The Glock is harder to hide if your of smaller stature but its got a lot going for it. And no safety
    which keeps popping up in the back of my mind. I find my shield reliable and fits my hand well thin and relatively easy to conceal. I just don't
    do as well with it. I have small hands yet the glock just points better for me. It is a problem I don't mind having. with 2 guns like the shield and the G26 to pick from. So your not alone.
    r
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

No safety on the Glocks..I heard that from the nitwit behind the counter trying to sell the clueless patron something else since he had no Glocks instock...(LOL)at a LGS today......I trust whats between my ears for safety more than a hammered back sig with a ambi switch than could easily be kicked off.

If you thought the Shield was bad, you would really hate the Ruger LCP. It is so light weight and concealable, it makes me sick!

Seriously though, when you go to a smaller gun, there will be less material, less weight and a smaller grip. This might make the gun feel less "solid", snappier and more difficult to shoot. The smaller the gun, the less comfortable it will be to shoot all day. Compared to the G26, the Shield is significantly thinner, lighter, and has a shorter sight radius. A more fair comparison would be between your G26 to an M&P 9 compact, or an XD sub-compact. If Glock will ever make a single stack 9mm, that is what the Shield 9mm should be compared to.

I have been very impressed by my brother's 9mm Shield for what it is. My brother received his concealed carry license about a month ago, and he has loved carrying the Shield IWB. It is extremely concealable and comfortable. I want one.
    Bark'n likes this.

Funny. I compared my Xds 45 to my Glock 27. I feel that the Glock is better built..like the fire pin assembly. But my Xds is more accurate and easier to shoot then the Glock 27. I've cc a G27 since they first came out. So I'm accurate with this gun. I know the 40 recoil can be alot but it doesn't bother me. The Xds never have owned a Springfield. I can shoot the smaller lighter gun better and it has less recoil. JME

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    If you did an apples to apples comparison to other single-stack 9's, I suspect you'd be more pleased with the Shield.

I think my PM9 is an excellent firearm, but it pales in comparison to the G26.

Huh....Had 2 catastrophic failures with my G27 where it would not fire during separate qualifications. Both were trigger issues. I carried that thing as a BUG at work. No longer trusted it and sold it. Bought a PM9 and I have just the opposite feeling. That Glock pales in comparison to the quality of the Kahr. IMO Oh and I dig my Shield too.

Quote Originally Posted by drewski1325 View Post
    Huh....Had 2 catastrophic failures with my G27 where it would not fire during separate qualifications. Both were trigger issues. I carried that thing as a BUG at work. No longer trusted it and sold it. Bought a PM9 and I have just the opposite feeling. That Glock pales in comparison to the quality of the Kahr. IMO Oh and I dig my Shield too.
    I had the opposite experience. My Glock G27 in ~ 15yrs ?? Forget how ever long I've had it. Never cleaned it much when I first got it. I clean often now. But never a failure except having a few bad 11 rd mags. The stock internal parts look new still.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links