Compact carry weapon choices?

This is a discussion on Compact carry weapon choices? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to start off by saying I am new to the CC world. I recently received my carry permit and am now looking for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Compact carry weapon choices?

Compact carry weapon choices?

I'd like to start off by saying I am new to the CC world. I recently received my carry permit and am now looking for a weapon. I am looking for something small enough I will actually carry it and can carry all year round. I am also not looking for a pocket pistol. I haven't decided if I am going to go with 9mm or .40. The 9 is definitely easier to shoot but I like the added power of the 40, even if it is only a little bit. I still have some more shooting to do before I decide between the two. So, I am looking for some advice on some weapons I should try. Below is what I have fired and the size I want to stay around:

Glock 26/27- shot both very well but the 27 definitely is snappy.

M&P 9/40c- also shot well but not as well as the Glock. It did feel more comfortable.

XD 9/40c- my least favorite. Much heavier than the first two. Didn't shoot it well at all.

Ruger SR9c- shot OK but larger than I like

I should add I am looking to stay in the price range of the above. So the H&Ks, Sigs and Kimbers are pretty much out of the question. I know Kahr and Walther also have some options that would fit what I am looking for. So any experience or advice is appreciated. And yes I have looked at the other threads on this forum but didn't see any that really answered my specific questions.

2. Remove Ads

Sig P-250 might be a good option to look into also. I had a chance to shoot my buddy's compact and subcompact and really liked both. That being said, if IL ever passes a CCW law I'm likely getting the G26 or 27. Good luck in your search!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

After about 30 years of carry I have chose to carry the Glock 26. It is as about as good as it gets for a carry gun. It is not too big it is light and has a 10 round magazine.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

GLOCK 26 or if you want to carry a 5 more rounds GLOCK 19, that's what I carry all year long. Sure you can spend more money and get a pretty reliable pistol, but why not buy the best damn pistol there is and have money left over?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I like my lc9. Easy to conceal with a long baggy shirt. I don't wear loose and baggy so much in the summer and am new to cc, nervous about exposing, so I bought an lcp for summer carry.
    jbum likes this.

VIP Member
    Get a Glock 19.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Sigs, M&P , CZ75, PX4 - Berettas..... all good.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Have a G26 and G19(Gen3)...that being said, maybe go with the G19 for one all-around 9mm pistol.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

G19 gen 4 is a really nice gun but if you like this, you should definitely check out the Walther PPQ.

You might want to check out the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro - holds 13 + 1. Very easy to conceal and the quality is excellent. Don't tell Bersa, but it is way under priced in my opinion.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I have a Brace of G-19's. Love both.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I have a G26, Kahr cm9 and a Springfield XDs in .45 acp. I find myself carrying the Springfield more and more lately. It just carries and conceals really well.
    XDs 4me likes this.

Check out Kahr's PM & CM lines in both 9mm and 40. Good guns, and light.

I'm a big fan of the XDm line, but if you don't shoot them well stay away. That's really the key: what do you shoot best in the size you'll actually carry?

Have a Ruger SR40c really happy with it, but i really like the adaptability and trigger of Glocks. Can see myself someday getting a G26 or maybe staying in 40 Cal with a G27

Glock 19 is your best compact. Glock 26 is a sub-compact
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Definetely G19!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links