What I saw

What I saw

This is a discussion on What I saw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to look at the Glock 22 and 23. The glock case had 23's,22's and 21's. No Glocks in 9mm to be had. The owner ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What I saw

What I saw

Went to look at the Glock 22 and 23. The glock case had 23's,22's and 21's. No Glocks in 9mm to be had. The owner said they can't keep Glocks in 9mm in stock. He said the the Glock 23 and Glock 22 pistols had been in the case for a while. He said everybody wants 9mm pistols.

I'm going with "new shooters" are looking for 9mm, not "everyone". My last two were .40 & a .45. And new shooters are probably being steered towards 9mm. Just my opinion.

P.S. I also think new shooters make up a large amount of the sales in the last few months.
    Last edited by Blackheart6; March 7th, 2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: PS
    Richard58 likes this.

I would go with the Glock 23. Easier to shoot than the G27 (although I love my G27) and easier to conceal than the G22. .40 S&W is "snappier" than 9mm but easy enough to get used to and shoot accurately.
    smolck likes this.

Although I do not own any 9MM handguns and without getting into a caliber war, 9MM is a good defensive cartridge. I've seen way too many people lying dead on stainless steel gurnies to say otherwise. They are easy to handle while shooting. Easy to make secondary shots.

However, as popular as the 9MM caartridge is, it is possibly part of the reason for the shortage. I have been able to find .40 cal and .45 fairly easy.
    Last edited by USM1976; March 7th, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
    Snub44, joker1 and GhostMaker like this.

I agree that a lot of the gun buyers, especially of 9mm handguns, recently are new buyers. Obviously, I don't have any data to back that but if you think about it the logic is there. A lot of people are buying guns now that they wouldn't be buying if Newtown and Aurora hadn't happened and Romney was in office. 9mm is the most popular centerfire pistol round and is priced lower than other calibers (when priced fairly), Glocks are some of the most popular handguns on the market, the G19 in particular. Many people who know guns would pick a G19 if asked what is the best all around pistol, this advice is likely trickling to less informed new buyers. At the stores I've been to lately (Bass Pro, Academy), the Glocks are scarce in the cases, mostly only the more obscure ones like the long slide and .45GAP models. To be honest, not a lot of demand for a G38 even with the panic.

I'd go back and grab one of those Glock-21's!
    cthruit likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Agree, retsupt99...get the G21...can't argue the caliber, and I've been able to consistently find .45 acp during this latest low spot.

...I'm glad the newbies don't realize how easy the .45 shoots...we'd have that dry up, too...

...around here...lots of .40...not much .38/.357 or .45ACP to be had...found Rem bulkpak 225rd. today...$30...glad I got mine in '09...
    Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    Although I do not own any 9MM handguns and without getting into a caliber war, 9MM is a good defensive cartridge. I've seen way too many people lying dead on stainless steel gurnies to say otherwise. The are easy to handle while shooting. Easy to make secondary shots.

However, as popular as the 9MM caartridge is, it is possibly part of the reason for the shortage. I have been able to find .40 cal and .45 fairly easy.
    USM1976 likes this.

I think a small part of it is because people who don't know a lot about firearms see "ban on high capacity magazines" and say "hey a 9mm holds more rounds, that would be high capacity". Not realizing that a G23 holds 13 rounds anyway.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Snub44, Shhh. The newbs might hear you.
    Snub44 and USM1976 like this.

Too bad my tax return wasn't bigger, the 21 is on the list. SF or Gen 4? Gentlemen, what say you?

Yes, I did buy a 9mm when I started shooting as stated here. I then wanted to "upgrade" to a 40 or 45 and I did. Went all the way to a 45. Guess what? I went back to the 9mm. More economical to practice, easier follow up shots and all the talk about knock down power is negated by the modern 9 mm ammo. 9mm might be selling more because it is new gun buyers, but experience shooters also know the value of a 9mm as well.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Yes, I did buy a 9mm when I started shooting as stated here. I then wanted to "upgrade" to a 40 or 45 and I did. Went all the way to a 45. Guess what? I went back to the 9mm. More economical to practice, easier follow up shots and all the talk about knock down power is negated by the modern 9 mm ammo. 9mm might be selling more because it is new gun buyers, but experience shooters also know the value of a 9mm as well.
    That's fine, but to argue your point I'd say that a 9mm MAY expand to the same size as a .45acp but a .45 will never shrink to 9mm size but may expand to the size of a quarter. Larger wound channel and all. Shot placement is key of course, but I don't mind a little insurance. 9mm is pretty unavailable by me anyway so I don't shoot my G17 as much as I would like out of fear of using up my reserve ammo with no replenishment.
    USM1976 likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I looked for a Glock 19 for over a month and there were none to be found. Okay, I found a few...from price gougers. No way I was going to pay $700+ for a G19

The only new compact Glocks I could find was a gen 4 23, a gen 3 23C and a gen 3 32. I finally just bought a 23C, because they sold the gen 4 right before I got to the gun store.

The main reason I wanted a 9mm was for the cheap ammo. It's funny, because when I was looking for a 9mm, the only ammo that I would see on the shelves was .40.

Now that I bought a .40, I can't find any ammo for it.

...might try: Hollow Point : Ammo To Go they've been good to me...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links