What to do with this gun? - Page 2

What to do with this gun?

This is a discussion on What to do with this gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You never said if it was new ore used. Rossi said it needed cleaning, which probably meant it was really dirty, more then 75 rounds ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with this gun?

You never said if it was new ore used. Rossi said it needed cleaning, which probably meant it was really dirty, more then 75 rounds would do. They als said not to shoot reloads meaning there may have been some sort of indications that reloads may have been shot through it.
    You stated that you only shot factory loads. I think that someone used the gun before you bought it. Con't trash it untill you give it a good work out. Try putting 200 rounds through it now that they have cleaned it, You may just find out that now it is a sweet shooter.

I only own one gun and have shot several. To me, if it jammed without reason, I would not keep it even after its been "fixed".

But if you have an office, it could be used as a really nice paper weight.

Take it by EOSS and have their gunsmith check the internals and do a basic trigger / action job if he thinks it needs it. He's got a rep as the best in the area and I'd trust his opinion. Then 300 rounds and no hiccups and I'd begin to trust it.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

You asked what we would do...

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    What would you do?
    I wouldn't buy a Rossi revolver in the first place. They have a poor reputation for quality and reliability. Revolvers are supposed to work without problems.

The three acceptable brands of double action revolvers are Smith & Wesson, Ruger and Colt. And Colt hardly manufactures new ones any more.

Administrator

As Per Above Suggestions

Since you are going to take a serious beating on it if you trade it back or sell it then (were I you) I would probably keep it as a fun gun.

I might even go so far as to put another $20 or $25 bucks into it and have a local "smith" go over the internals and stone/smooth a few parts in order to "function check" it & slick it up a bit.

It could be a very fun gun to have around...especially for real rapid fire "paper punch plinking" on "BadGuy" targets with light loads.

I probably would not trade it back if I were going to take a $200 loss on it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The more I think about what happened, the more I am beginning to believe the incident wasn't caused by excessive fouling. Were you shooting full power .357 through it? It could be the internal tolorances are extremely laxed, and during the course of recoil, was enough to jar a certain part loose. The crux of the revolver is that yes, it's reliable. Pull the trigger... Bang. But if ONE THING inside the revolver gets misaligned, than the whole thing won't operate. It won't fire, the cylinder won't turn, hell you can't even pull the hammer back. Consider the internals of a revolver like a wind-up watch. Not only is it vastly more complicated than an automatic (have you ever timed a cylinder by hand?) but each piece is dependant on the sucessful operation of the other. To prove this, take your revolver (unloaded of course) and grip it with your strong hand as usual. Take your weak hand and now grip the cylinder (tight). Now pull the trigger. Nothing. You can't even manually pull the hammer back. For example, if the tolorances were loose between the Trigger Lever and the Rebound Slide Assembly, during recoil, there could be "just enough" momentum to jar the mating ends (ball and socket) of those parts loose. If those two parts get jammed or fail to function as designed, you can't effectively pull the trigger, if you can't pull the trigger, you can't operate the hand, if the hand can't operate, the cylinder won't turn. The whole thing gets locked up.
    Unfortunantly, all the cleaning in the world cannot correct loose tolorances. That's a factory deal. If the loose tolorances are on the frame of the gun, you'd have to replace the parts (of the effected area) with oversized replacements and have them hand fitted. That's if they even make oversized replacements in the first place. If not, they should replace the whole gun.
    If it were an individual part, you could just replace it with another factory part.
    How does this help you? I really don't think it does. It only gives you an idea of what may be the cause.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I have one and it shoots flawlessly.
    I'd shoot the crap out of your's and see if it's fixed.
    It probably is.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I think I would have it checked by a competent smith before I dumped it. As I said before, I own one and have put over a thousand rounds through it with no problems. I do trust it and it's one that I won't let go.

Bad reloaded ammo with high primers will lock most wheel guns DA. or SA.

Thanks all for the info and responses.

A little update since yesterday when it came back - I reread the paper that came with it and see that they replaced "bolt" (whatever that means, there's no ref number to indicate which one) and adjusted "yoke". The comments about no reloads and clean after each use were indicated on a different part of the form.

In case I didn't make it clear previously, I bought this one NIB from a store elsewhere in the state, and it stuck after 75 rounds of factory 38 and maybe 12 rounds of 357 in there. Not fired in that order, mind you, I was halfway through 6 rounds of 38 special in it when the jam occurred. I unloaded it, cleaned it, and sent it back, so maybe the comments from their gunsmith are just general comments that they put on every repair order?

If I do sell or trade this in, it won't be in a hurry, and now I've got some opinions to consider. If all I'm going to get out of it is a little over $100, I'll find an excuse (for my wife) to keep it, as a fun range gun if nothing else. Thanks ElCruiser for the word about EOSS, I think I'll see what they have to say about an inspection and possible "tune up" of this piece. I figure at the worst, if it breaks again, it'll cost me $16 to ship it to get it repaired again, and that ought to be a good sign to finally get what I can for it.

once a dog turns on you it cant be trusted "DUMP IT"
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

I have the same handgun and the same thing happened to mine after about 600 rounds of 38 and 357. Instead of sending it to rossi took it to a gunsmith and the sear had broken. He seemed to think that it was not made of a quailty metal and replaced and the spring for $45.00 parts and labor and all is well.Oh i do not know whay sear he used but it was for a differant firearm and of better quailty at least that is what he said. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by larryr View Post
    I have the same handgun and the same thing happened to mine after about 600 rounds of 38 and 357. Instead of sending it to rossi took it to a gunsmith and the sear had broken. He seemed to think that it was not made of a quailty metal and replaced and the spring for $45.00 parts and labor and all is well.Oh i do not know whay sear he used but it was for a differant firearm and of better quailty at least that is what he said. Hope this helps.
    Very interesting. I'm planning to go shoot tomorrow at a place with a smith who's recommended, so I'll see if he's there and can look at it. I'm hopeful that a little care and work from someone good could make this thing live up to it's potential. I just don't like the idea of taking a $200+ loss on this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Don't even consider carrying it for CCW purposes. Too much of a liability. It was better you found out about it now than later. However, if you are pressed for cash trade it in as a down payment for your next gun, otherwise keep it as a range toy and take it out to shoot every now and again just for fun. Personally, since I'm currently hard up for cash, I'd sell it, and put the money towards the next carry piece.
    +1 S&W J, K or L frame snubby!Buy the best,forget the rest!Confidence in yourself and your equipment is everything when dealing with live or die situations.
    Last edited by 686; November 4th, 2006 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 686 View Post
    +1 S&W J, K or L frame snubby!Buy the best,forget the rest!Confidence in yourself and your equipment is everything when dealing with live or die situations.
    I was surprised to recently hear some SW revolver people mention similar problems they'd had that required factory service. Anything to that? The only other wheelgun I can think of whose reliability I wouldn't question new out of the box would be Ruger.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links