What to do with this gun?

This is a discussion on What to do with this gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a S&W 637 do the same thing, thought it might be a one time thing, but it happened several times. Sent it back ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to do with this gun?

I had a S&W 637 do the same thing, thought it might be a one time thing, but it happened several times. Sent it back to S&W with help of my dealer, ended up with a new one and no problems since. I've owned a half dozen or so S&Ws, couple Tarus, one Rossi, and one Charter Arms which were all j-frame size,and have 3 S&W j-frames now and that was the only one I ever had problems with. I'm a S&W man (even though the problem gun was a S&W) but think sometimes (very rarely) a gun, regardless of brand, will have a glitch.
    IMO, fewer glitches with Glock, SIG, Colt, S&W or other reputable brands, but they still can have'em.

2. Remove Ads

FWIW, Taurus (and I assume by extension, Rossi) will literally always include those warnings about cleaning and reloads when they return a gun to the owner. It doesn't necessarily indicate that they found anything wrong that cleaning or ammo would have addressed.

The "bolt" is the metal finger that comes up out of the bottom of the cylinder window and locks into the notch in the cylinder to lock it in position (rotationally).

I have returned 2 guns to Taurus in the past, 1 an auto and 1 a revolver. IMHO, their repairs dept. is quite willy-nilly and they seem to replace or "adjust" things without any clue as to whether or not it will address the problem. Much like many auto mechanics these days.

I wouldn't place much trust that whatever they did really fixed what was wrong. They may have gotten lucky by replacing a bunch of stuff.

All that said, if I were in your position and I were looking at getting only $125 for it, I would probably shoot the crap out of it and see if it performs properly. If it does, keep it; if it doesn't, see if you can get Taurus/Rossi to pay to ship it back to take another stab at fixing it.

I dropped it off with a local gunsmith who's going to go over the internals, inspecting, polshing/buffing whatever, and maybe adjusting the trigger which he says is too stiff, and who'll let me know if he recommends any parts replacements in there. Once I get back from him, *then* I see shooting a lot of 38 and 357 through it to check it out.

Fortunately for me, my wife forgot or is letting me have this one, but she seems to buying the 'I'd trade it in but I'd lose too much $" argument. So, I may have gotten away with an "unauthorized" gun purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    once a dog turns on you it cant be trusted "DUMP IT"
    Yup
    "dump" it my way.........LOL...........I'll find a way to make sure it has a good home, and is well taken care of.............even if it's going to be a "safe queen" for the time being......
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Glad you dropped it off with him, he'll do you right and I'd listen to Dicks' recommendations. One day I'd like a trigger job on my 638 from him. I guess next range trip we'll be burning up some .38's? Got my press going to crank out a bunch of .45's as well. See ya at the range!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I have had the same thing happen to a taurus 85, a S&W 66 and a Ruger GP100. maybe four times total in 20 years.

I had the 66 lock up at the range after shooting about 75 reloaded swc's. I could not pull the trigger or cock the hammer. I couldn't see anything wrong but I have been told that one speck of unburned powder or trash under the star wheel can lock up a revolver,especially after firing enough rounds to get the gun hot.

I had some oil with me and I flushed everything out and worked the ejector rod back and forth and lo and behold, everything worked like new again.

I have also seen several revolvers lock up during competition. A hot, dirty gun and a little bit of trash can be very bad. Usually they were cleaned and back in action.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I had my Ruger Security Six 357 lock up while teaching someone how to shoot. Embarrassing. Cheap ammo, about 24 rounds. Cleaned it, everything OK. Nobody is trashirg Rugers' reputation. Keep it. Or send it to me for extreme long term torture testing.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Glad you dropped it off with him, he'll do you right and I'd listen to Dicks' recommendations. One day I'd like a trigger job on my 638 from him. I guess next range trip we'll be burning up some .38's? Got my press going to crank out a bunch of .45's as well. See ya at the range!
    Yep. Thanks for letting me know about him, it'll be about $30 and maybe a week and a half to do his thing. Then I can start thinking about breaking in my only revolver (other than a 22).

Dick over at EOSS, does quick work, 3 days and $38 for smoothing out the internals and assuring me nothing else looks like it'll break. The trigger in DA is MUCH smoother now that he smoothed out some tool marks that were on the inside, feels really sweet now. The Rossi will be shooting some 38 special next week to get broken back in, now that I've backed into keeping this pistol.

So, lessons I've learned: some simple gunsmithing may be able to greatly enhance an inexpensive pistol, and, better be on the safe side and keep a pistol around rather than trade it for a big loss. It's nice to have another one or two in the gun safe when a different gun goes down (as one of my 9's did last night)!

Glad things went well! Sorry to hear about one of you 9's. What happened?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I know........... Sellit to me for 126$ That is the start of an auction.

I once had a "well-known" brand badly crap-out on me in 19 shots. It was an autoloader, not a revolver, and I sent it back under the Manufacturers LIFETIME WARRANTY. Took 5 weeks to get it back repaired. Six shots of new, top-quality, commercial ammo later... it broke again. I returned it (again!) and waited (again!) for 6 weeks for it to return. Determined to sell it AS SOON as I got it back I had an sudden attack of honesty. What if the sucker (uh...buyer) to whom I sold it got killed because it was faulty? And I KNEW there was a good chance that was the case? What do I do...sell it to someone who should "know better" or someone I didn't LIKE?!?

I called the company and raised enough hell that I finally got a VP of Operations on the phone. I threatened a lawsuit and said that I would gladly pay for a full-page spread in Shotgun News over this useless piece of junk (and MEANT IT). And I didn't need their money so once I started I was NOT going to stop until every gun buyer in the WORLD knew there was a problem with this pistol & his rotten, greedy, careless company. He (finally) said the magic words, "what will it take to make you happy?".

They eventually swapped my pistol (mid-grade in their product line) at no charge for the best pistol they made. I then sold THAT pistol as soon as it arrived for $150 more than the first one had cost me. I WILL NOT EVER BUY ANOTHER of their products again. But I can sleep well knowing my actions were honest & didn't get anybody killed. I don't buy cheap handguns, I don't shoot cheap ammo, I won't be treated like a rented mule. Nor will I cleverly sell a gun to an unsuspecting someone when I know there's something WRONG with it. It's just not the right thing to do. Good Luck with your Rossi.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Glad things went well! Sorry to hear about one of you 9's. What happened?
    The slide on my trusty P85 got stuck hard in the middle of ejecting a spent casing. Either a piece inside broke off, OR (more likely) I reversed the recoil spring the last time I cleaned it . As it turned out I was going to see Dick V at EOSS to pick up my Rossi, so I did that and dropped of the P85 at the same time. The good news is that he said whatever the problem is it didn't appear expensive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links