What to do with this gun?

This is a discussion on What to do with this gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Regarding my Rossi .357 magnum, 2" barrel, stainless (Model R46202) I bought one of these 5 or 6 weeks ago, and after a day and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with this gun?

What to do with this gun?

Regarding my Rossi .357 magnum, 2" barrel, stainless (Model R46202)

I bought one of these 5 or 6 weeks ago, and after a day and about 75 rounds it got stuck, something in the action was just STUCK and the action would not rotate or allow cocking. I unloaded it (the cylinder still swung in and out just fine), and sent it in to Rossi. I was pretty annoyed about this, and while it was gone I made up my mind to dump this POS once it came back. I even went out and bought a Kahr CW9 to take it's place, and that's turned out well so far, other than my wife griping about how much I spend on guns.

Today it finally arrived back via fedex. Rossi's letter said it needed cleaning and not to use reloaded ammo, that's it. Now, I had only been using factory ammo for the brief time this thing was working, and I'd cleaned it twice actually. So, is this thing likely to jam up on me again?

I'm slightly torn between trading this thing in for whatever I can get for it (salvage something from the situation), and keeping it and hoping there'll be no more problems. A couple of gun shops which sell this exact same Rossi for $395 have told me they'd give me maybe $125 for it (I paid $325 at a shop out of town for it NIB). I did promise the wife I'd trade it in before I bought the Kahr but maybe I can justify going back on that if I only get back maybe 1/3 of the purchase price

--> Dump it:
    -->I don't want to take a chance on this thing breaking again (especially since I'm not sure what was wrong with it).
    -->Get something $ for it and concentrate on all the rest of my HG collection, all of which DO work well.

-->Keep it:
    -->$125 isn't enough to justify trading in this troubled pistol, keep it even if it'll have problems?
    -->it's fun to shoot and if it was reliable I'd like this pistol quite a bit
    -->I'd like to shoot it just a little anyway to get my wife more interested in self-defense shooting. As a simple 6-shot revolver, it's easy to operate, and the recoil with .38 special ammo is quite manageable. I could see leaving this one at home with my wife and being confident she'd be able to work it, not so with my autos.

What would you do? While I dither and put off trading it in, I'll think about trying to shoot a bunch of that gun cleaner in a can stuff into the inner workings of the action where the hammer goes into the frame.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    personaly , if gunbudget is an issue , well then i would trade it for a late mfg taurus revolver if you want to go revolver for revolver . Or a plethera of other guns , if you want a fun gun get a ruger .22 , anything centerfire needs to be dependable since due to murphys law sooner or later it will be pressed into service as if nothing else a night stand gun . Now with that in mind , isnt the choice simple ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    try it, if you do not like it/ don't consider it reliable after some more shooting sell it to a private individual. (gun shops will not give you what it's worth , cause they want to turn a profit too)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

dump it one way or the other

Administrator
    Absolutely shoot it some more with factory until you feel you can trust it for carry again.

That's a tough break when something like that happens. It's a real confidence shaker.

With nearly any firearm you buy new...plan on getting half for it used if you go trade it back. That's just the way it's always been unless you have a truly Hot Ticket firearm that everybody wants...then you can get a bit more.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    the gun is a liability, dump it.

If you can't deal with losing that much money, go ahead and keep it but realize its just an extra. Then do what qkshooter said.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Get what you can for it in trade on a used Taurus. It sucks when that happens, but it's happened to us all, even with first-rate name-brand weapons.

Lick the wounds and go on....

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Get what you can for it in trade on a used Taurus. It sucks when that happens, but it's happened to us all, even with first-rate name-brand weapons.

Lick the wounds and go on....
    The trouble is...........Taurus and Rossi are one in the same Mfgr now..............It also sounds like it's a hammer/trigger/sear issue.. and I'd inslect in myself before I'd get rid of it. A little stoning on those parts could make it very workable, and not a loss.
    I think I'd save it, shoot it for the time being, utilizing light target loads, and trade up for a good used handgun when the time comes....... The shop that was going to give you 125.00 for it was buying it for a "cash" price. (i'm pretty confident about their offer as I work at a huge Gun shop) Either way, should you decide to give it up, it's gonna sting, so that's why I'd suggest a guood used handgun, in order to take the hurt away .. Good luck, and let us know what pans out
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

If You THINK...

you like this gun, get a 'smith' to give you an opinion and an estimate.
    You might just get a great little weapon fixed for almost nothing. I would have trouble selling something that's not 'good' to someone else...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you can't rely on it when you need it, then it si worth $0 to you. Trade it for whatever you can get for it and let the dealer know you had trouble an had it fixed. Then your conscience will be clear.

Use the $ as a down payment on a Taurus.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

keep it, take it to the range and run some ammo, start with light load 38sp. move up to 357, see how it works. it it breaks, write a letter with the details to go back with the gun. it looks like they took it apart and cleaned the action. some junk (factory junk, ammo junk) could have got inside the works. that could be what cause it not to fire.

VIP Member
    I'd dump it or use it for fun shooting only

I would keep putting shells thru it. It is probably a one time thing. The more you shoot it, the more comfortable you be with it.
    If it does it again, then dump it.
    ----
    If you just can't shake that feeling of distrust, dump it for a used smith #60 or ruger sp101, IMO.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I own a Rossi very much like yours. I've had it for several years now and shot 38Spl. and lots of full house .357's through it without a hiccup. Mine has a great trigger on it and pretty accurate for a short barrel. Maybe I was just lucky, but I trust it as my backup carry. It sometimes is primary but I like my Delta for that.

Don't even consider carrying it for CCW purposes. Too much of a liability. It was better you found out about it now than later. However, if you are pressed for cash trade it in as a down payment for your next gun, otherwise keep it as a range toy and take it out to shoot every now and again just for fun. Personally, since I'm currently hard up for cash, I'd sell it, and put the money towards the next carry piece.
    Last edited by razorblade; November 3rd, 2006 at 01:00 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links