pf9 or shield ?

This is a discussion on pf9 or shield ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my lgs can get me a pf9 for 275 or i can buy a shield for 495 i want to pocket carry which gun should ...

Thread: pf9 or shield ?

pf9 or shield ?

my lgs can get me a pf9 for 275 or i can buy a shield for 495 i want to pocket carry which gun should i buy pocket 9mm maybe iwb i want some recommendations please and why my buddy had a pf9 and it was not fun to shoot but it was a self def gun like shield what would u buy and why

2. Remove Ads

I have a PF9 (black/blued), rarely carry it but it definitely is pocket carry feasible and when I do carry it I normally do so in a belly band when I go running, it rides fine and is very light. I don't have a Shield, but I have shot one (9mm) and had one on order before just giving up and buying a compact M&P. $275 for a PF9 is a pretty good price, which model are they talking about? $495 for a Shield is a stiff premium, but that seems like the norm lately.

Kel Tec has a hit or miss reputation, mine runs fine but many do not. I've spent a decent amount on refinements (fiber optic sights, heavier recoil spring, Hogue grips, extended mags) but the PF9 is not and will never be fun to shoot, but it's not made for that. It is intended to be a very light, slim and simple gun for self defense and it fits that well. The Shield is almost twice as heavy as the PF9 when loaded and the Shield is a lot larger than people realize.

Quote Originally Posted by skinner1790 View Post
    my lgs can get me a pf9 for 275 or i can buy a shield for 495 i want to pocket carry which gun should i buy pocket 9mm maybe iwb i want some recommendations please and why my buddy had a pf9 and it was not fun to shoot but it was a self def gun like shield what would u buy and why
    How highly to you value things like reliability, durability, quality, the "name" of the brand, the price?

Between the two of them, I'd probably opt for the S&W Shield. But that's in advance of having shot one extensively. I've had a Kel-Tec PF9 and have shot it a lot. It's harsh on the hands, as you suggest. Many of the ultralight pistols are, as well as many of the ultralight revolvers. In my experience, much has to do with my own hand's bones/padding in relation to the gun's barrel axis and how the load is distributed across my hand during recoil. Some has to do with the width/shape of the back strap; some with the bore axis in the design; some with how high I can get my grip on the gun; some, due to how stiff of a round I fire through it.

As a comparison, I've had several Kahr PM9's and P380's, as well as a Kel-Tec P3AT .380ACP and a S&W 442 Airweight .38spl snub-nosed revolver. By a long margin, in my hands the Kahr PM9 felt the most comfortable to shoot, was fairly easily concealable either on the hip or in the pocket, and rivaled accuracy of many of the larger pistols I've ever shot. (The CM9 ought to be the same, as it's the "budget" variant of the PM9.) In my case, I could never get the PM9's or P380's to be error-free, though, so in the end they didn't work out. But many swear by them. Can't speak personal as to the reliability or quality of the Shield, though many report to have good experiences with them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The shield is a nice gun I own one. I have owned the PF9 in the past. I also own a Nano, which i love. I have to tell you I wasn't crazy about the shield it a good gun but there is something that's just not right with me. I liked the kel tec PF9's better, but I did have some issues with the first gun and I am not crazy about their extractor system the screw keeps loosening up causing malfunctions. So here's my take if kel tec has fixed their issues I wouldn't hesitate to buy the pf9. You probably won't see a Shield for some time or you could look into the beretta nano it is a great gun and well built or maybe if budget isn't an issue a Kahr. The pf9 is very light and slaps your finger when you shoot it, so if your new to shooting that might be a problem. I do like the kel tec pf9 they do stand behind their guns. I would buy another pf9 if I could find one. It all comes down to whatever you like.

pf9 or shield ?

I like both of those guns. I like the sights and trigger on the Shield much more though. Worth the extra money in my opinion.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    For pocket carry I would recommend neither unless you have very large pockets. A Kahr PM9 or CM9 would work better. For any other carry, the Shield wins hands down. Better quality (Not that the Kel-Tec is necessarily bad), much lower felt recoil, much better trigger.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    The shield is not a great pocket pistol.Is a bit on the large size for most pants. Nether is the cw9. The cm9 will pocket carry fine and is my choice. My cw9 is a iwb carry and is slighty smaller and lighter than a sheild . You can get by pocketing most j-framed sized revolvers and have the option of a 2 finger grip or 3 finger grips to help with what works well for you. J frame airweight 38sp only weight in at 15oz and some can use moon clips use for reloads with certain models.The 642 so a good choice for pocket cc . The pf9 does work in a pocket for most and they tend to run fine for most shooters. I carried one for 2 years and fired 2000 rounds thru it all trouble free then bought kahr used cheap and loved it.. They are light and recoil can cause cycling issues for some shooters. It has to be controled buy different slip on aids help with control.

Links