Compare Glock 23 to Kahr

This is a discussion on Compare Glock 23 to Kahr within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can those of you with experience with a Glock 23 and comparable Kahrs give a little comparison and contrast of the two? I'm pretty interested ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compare Glock 23 to Kahr

Compare Glock 23 to Kahr

Can those of you with experience with a Glock 23 and comparable Kahrs give a little comparison and contrast of the two? I'm pretty interested in the 23, but I keep hearing great things about Kahrs.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    What model Kahr? The Glock is a tougher more proven gun, but its a bit more bulky than the Kahrs. The Glock is a out of the box shooter, kind of a "everyman's" gun.
    With the Kahr, you have to break it in. Expect problems until you get past the 200 rnd mark. Once you break it in, you will have a great CCW. I've had several Kahrs, all of them needed to be broken in. Once that was completed, I prefer them over the Glocks.
    If you not much of a shooter, go with the Glock. Less hassle, you can abuse the hell out of it. But, if you are a shooter and are willing to follow instructions, the Kahr is a hard gun to beat.

I've owned and carried both. If you are looking for something for heavy concealment then go with the Kahr. Thats what they are made for. I did have some problems initially during the break-in period, but thanks to this board, i expected it and it eventually went away. The trigger pull is smooth but LONG. they break at right about 10 pounds, but if you're used to a DA revolver, then this should be no problem. They are cool little guns, and I think you'd be happy with one of them. The glock 23 is a great gun. It does however have some snappy recoil. The recoil system on the 23 is the exact same as the one on the 19. I personally thought that it it was a bit too snappy for my tastes. Not that i couldn't handle it, but I wanted something that was a little more fun to shoot. Given the choice I would carry the Glock 27 instead of the 23 because I personally feel that the 27 is a bit more tame (probably due to the double spring system). Honestly though, its a toss up. If your primary goal is concealibility then Kahrs would be your best bet, but if you can conceal a glock well, then go with that. Carry the biggest gun you can conceal and shoot well. Good phrase to go by.

Happy shooting
    Last edited by GlockinItUp; November 3rd, 2006 at 01:18 PM.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Capacity, size and reliability

The Glock 23 has 13+1 round capacity due to a double stack magazine, while all Kahr .40 caliber guns have a single stack magazine and capacity of roughly 6+1 rounds.

If you compare the guns side by side, the G23 is somewhat larger than any Kahr in length, height and thickness. The G23 is somewhat heavier than the polymer framed Kahrs (such as the P40) but similar in weight to the steel framed Kahrs.

In terms of reliability, the G23 is one of the more reliable guns on the market and will probably work perfectly right out of the box, while Kahrs often require several hundred rounds of breakin before running without a hitch.

Choosing between the two comes down mainly to capacity and concealability, I believe. If I could conceal the Glock, I would rather carry it than any Kahr because of firepower and reliability.

+1

I own Glocks and the only time I will buy something off brand is when they are collectible. Kahrs are engineered with tight tolerances and that is why it needs this breakin period(correct me if I'm wrong). But, they are good looking Guns. Slim and a lot smaller in footprint. Good luck...

Compare Glock 23 to Kahr

I have owned both the G23 & Kahr 40. I bought the Kahr brand new and put 2,000 rounds thru it with out a single malfunction. I used a diverse selection of ammo & it performed perfectly with all of them, from cheap to top notch quality JHPs. The Kahr is a little heavier than the G23 due to its frame being all steel. The only reason why I don't have it is because I traded it for a S&W 13 3"bbl.

My G23 was bought brand new in 2004 has about 4,000 rounds thru it, if not more. It has never malfunctioned and has always given me a flawless performance when I take it to the range. I can feed any type of ammo with different grains and it has always given me great groupings. The G23 unlike the Kahr, can go a longer time without being cleaned & lubricated. I still have my G23. Both are great weapons.
    Last edited by Trebla; November 3rd, 2006 at 05:12 PM.

Based on what I've learned from owners of both, in my mind it boils down this: If you are not willing to take the chance of any malfunctions, go with the Glock.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Best Glock 23 endorsement I have ever heard...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebla View Post
    My G23 was bought brand new in 2004 has about 4,000 rounds thru it, if not more. It has never malfunctioned and has always given me a flawless performance when I take it to the range. I can feed any type of ammo with different calibers and it has always given me great groupings.
    Trebla gets great results from his Glock 23 shooting different calibers, not just the .40 caliber it was designed for. That is some gun!

But I wonder how he keeps the .45 caliber bullets from sticking in the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Trebla gets great results from his Glock 23 shooting different calibers, not just the .40 caliber it was designed for. That is some gun!

But I wonder how he keeps the .45 caliber bullets from sticking in the barrel?
    I was guessing that he was changing out the barrel for a 357 Sig or a 9mm, but that was just an assumption.

Haha fellows you guys know what I meant to say. I have shot alot of different grain .40 S&W ammo thru my G23 without a misfire, jam, or malfunction.

Thanks for bringing that error to my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    I was guessing that he was changing out the barrel for a 357 Sig or a 9mm, but that was just an assumption.
    Talk about a KABOOM waiting to happen .

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO Either will serve you well , Glocks are not for me and that is apparent on this board , howeaver they are a fine journyman type pistol if you can get along with them . If you want better concealed wear well get the kahr , if you want almost garonteed reliablility out of the box from round one , well get the glock , its really apples and oranges other than most likely either would have a polimar frame for ccw . Like i said get what you want , but DO NOT get a PM series kahr with a serial that starts with va ... get vb or later .. I am to the point ( that tho my pm series is fine ) that i say get a p series and trim the butt to pm size Is your best bet for a Kahr pocket rocket lol . You tho were looking at the compact not sub compact from each line , and for them it boils down to how much ammo do you want , and what can you conceal .. for me and my experiances kahr gets my vote . I suggest you drive as needed and find a range where you can shoot them side by side , then choose .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    The G32 barrel drops right in the G23. And that 357sig. really hums right along.

I owned a K40 Elite 98. It was a great gun. It shot everything I put in it and was very accurate. While I have never had a G23 I do have a G19 (same overall size of course). There are three reasons that I decided to trade my K40. 1.) It was heavy. Being an all steel frame made the gun a little heavy after a while. In all fairness to the K40, I think part of my problem with the weight was do to not having the best holster for me and the gun. 2.) I never could really get used to the trigger. While it is very smooth, similiar to the fine DA pull of a good revolver, it was a little heavy and long for me to master. On the plus side, the trigger pull is the same from shot to shot. Again in fairness to the gun, more practice would solved that problem I am sure. And finally 3.) The left side of the rear tang (the rear part of the frame that rolls over the first knuckle of the thumb) had a sharp edge that tore me up whenever I shot. Add that to the fact that the K40 is a snappy little thing it spelled pain for me.

Now for the K40's plusses: It is small, very thin and very very easy to conceal. Also, the grip width and angle are more comfortable than that of the Glock to a lot of people.

The G19 (or G23) is larger but lighter. But when carried in the right holster is only marginally more difficult to conceal. I personally have no trouble concealing it in a VMII.

So I guess what I am trying to say is, which ever gun "fits" you better is the gun to go with. Both are fine weapons.

With Kahr, the model makes a difference in reliability. K and MK seem to have the best reputation for being reliable after the break in period. the polymers have gotten more complaints about malfunctions.

To compare the G23 with the Kahr K40:

G23:
    wider (harder to conceal)
    weighs 21.16 oz + 2.46 oz (empty magazine) = 23.64 oz total
    known to be very reliable overall
    10 + capacity

K40:
    narrower (easier to conceal)
    weighs 24.1 oz + 1.9 oz (empty mag) = 26.0 oz total
    very reliable after break in
    6 + 1 capacity

I think they both look nice, but I favor the Kahr slightly. only 2.36 oz difference. i would lean toward the K40. however, if you want higher cap then the glock may be more appealing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links