can i install my own g23 night sights?

This is a discussion on can i install my own g23 night sights? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; has anyone swapped them out before? whats involved?...

Thread: can i install my own g23 night sights?

can i install my own g23 night sights?

has anyone swapped them out before? whats involved?

2. Remove Ads

Re: can i install my own g23 night sights?

Depends on the sights, there are a lot of self install videos on YouTube.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sponsor
    I removed the standard glock sights and installed a set of trijicon HD's on my G19, about to do the same with my G32. I used this sight pusher. Universal Hand Gun Sight tool - Home - El Cajon, CA and it worked really well. There are probably cheaper ways to go about it but I also wanted something I could use to make windage adjustments at the range.

Here is a really helpful video about how to do it with a punch.

Installing Glock Sights with Dave Dawson - YouTube

Good Luck!
    Clay

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    With the proper tools, yes. By bubba'ing them on, no. The Tritium Vials can break so don't tap on them with a punch and hammer. Best thing is if you don't have a sight pusher, don't risk an expensive repair and just pay the $10-$20 bucks and have a gun smith do it right; or buy the sights from a smith and work out a deal where install is free.

Very easy, youtube will show you step by step. I purchased big dot and it came with front sight removal tool, dowel and bonding agent for the rear all in one kit.

i watched the dave dawson video. he was NOT installing night sights using a punch.

night sights 'glow' because they use vials filled with radioactive tritium gas. using a punch could, IMO, break or crack the vials and no more glow.

i strongly recommend the use of a sight pusher tool of some sort to install rear night sights.

I use the Glockmeister sight tool.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I seem to remember a few years back over on the Glock talk forum they had a thread where someone had a sight pushing tool you could sort of rent out. I think maybe you had to ship it to the next fella in line or something along those lines.

As long as you buy the sights from them, my local dealer installs sights on Glocks for free. I just bought a G27 yesterday and purchased 3 dot Trijicon's for $79 and had them put the sights on. It's about a 5 minute process with the proper tools.

On a side note, when did the standard front sight on the Glocks come installed with a bolt and not staked in?
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member
    I did mine just a few weeks ago. Just used my vice, a brass punch (had to get one) and a little hammer. Wasn't too bad, there was a moment or two where I was a little worried with how much force it took move em, but with a brass punch you really cant hurt the sight. The punch will leave brass residue on the sight, but it cleans off. Just make sure you use lots of caution, take your time and have the right tools.

Come to think of it, I did the swap on my CZ as well. Those suckers were on there good, but I got em off. So that's two sets I've done with no problems.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    i watched the dave dawson video. he was NOT installing night sights using a punch.

night sights 'glow' because they use vials filled with radioactive tritium gas. using a punch could, IMO, break or crack the vials and no more glow.

i strongly recommend the use of a sight pusher tool of some sort to install rear night sights.
    I personally wouldn't hesitate to use a nylon tipped punch to install night sights. That is how Dawson Precision suggests you install their tritium sights (On their website). I've never actually talked to someone who has ruined a set of tritium sights by using a punch to insert them.

I chose to go with a sight pusher because I didn't have a good vice at the time, and I wanted to be able to adjust sights at the range if needed.

Thanks,
    Clay

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    I personally wouldn't hesitate to use a nylon tipped punch to install night sights. That is how Dawson Precision suggests you install their tritium sights (On their website). I've never actually talked to someone who has ruined a set of tritium sights by using a punch to insert them.

I chose to go with a sight pusher because I didn't have a good vice at the time, and I wanted to be able to adjust sights at the range if needed.

Thanks,
    Clay
    wow, so there is alot of people who have done them by themselves. Im pretty sure I have enough tool I just didn't know if there was anything special or not. Ive ventured in to 100s of projects but never have been brave enough to work on my own guns. Ill do some youtubing this morning and see if its something I want to tackle.

Thanks for the advice

Links