J-Frame Apex Spring Kits (or comparable kits) - Experiences Good/Bad?

This is a discussion on J-Frame Apex Spring Kits (or comparable kits) - Experiences Good/Bad? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is going to get her weapons carry license and I'm trying to help her pick out a gun. She likes the 642, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-Frame Apex Spring Kits (or comparable kits) - Experiences Good/Bad?

VIP Member

My wife is going to get her weapons carry license and I'm trying to help her pick out a gun. She likes the 642, but like all j-frames its trigger is tough. I was thinking about getting this:

Apex Tactical Duty/Carry Spring Kit S&W J-Frame 31 32 34 36 37 38 42

along with a stone to polish down the rebound slide to ease up on the trigger pull. (I have one 640 that I purchased used that has an after market spring kit, but it failed to fire one round when I first used it. However, the gun was BONE DRY and not lubed, so I cleaned and lubed it and it has worked fine - regardless, I'm a bit trigger shy on the after market spring kits because of that).

For those of you with j-frames, and with spring kits installed, what are your experiences? Have you experienced reduced reliability? Do you have a kit besides Apex that you recommend?

(not looking for advice on other weapons right now, we'll likely try some - just want info on the after market kits for j-frames).

Many thanks in advance - PEF

2. Remove Ads

I bought the Wolff spring kit for my wifes 642. It dropped the trigger from 22# to about 12-14#. I did nothing else to the gun. I would guess any spring kit would help. The Wolff kit had several springs to try out.

Just make sure that the gun fires flawlessly because of lighter springs and that the trigger pull is still hard enough not to go off by other than any other means than pulling the trigger.

BTW, I studied a few youtube vids before I did the trigger job and read this and the S&W forum for recommended spring sets.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

I have the Apex trigger kit in my S&W Airweight, and I can't say enough good things about it. It reduces the trigger pull substantially, yet the gun retains all the safety characteristics of a double action revolver. The video makes installation easy. Get it; you won't regret it.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I installed the Apex kit and did some light stoning. It did make an improvement. The trigger wasn't bad from the shop, and it isn't a match grade trigger now. It is a slightly lighter and very smooth DA pull. More importantly, it is 100% reliable with WWB and Remington factory loads.

I dry fired mine with snaps a couple hundred times and it smoothed out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerista View Post
    I dry fired mine with snaps a couple hundred times and it smoothed out.
    Trigger is actually smooth, just heavy. It's got nearly 700 rounds through it and I dry fired it until my finger ached! It's mainly the stock main spring and rebound that I need to have eased up for her.

VIP Member
    For those that did the switch, what did you use for rebound slide tool? I've read reviews on Midway and on sites that the stock rebound slide tool (that thingy with the odd shaped tip) is too big for the j-frame. Do you have recommendations or work arounds?

I can't remember what I used, but it wasn't any special tool. Just stare at it, and something will come to you. Were it at all difficult to figure out, I'd remember how I did it.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidboot View Post
    I can't remember what I used, but it wasn't any special tool. Just stare at it, and something will come to you. Were it at all difficult to figure out, I'd remember how I did it.
    Yeah, I remember seeing that tool used, but it wasn't difficult enough to scar my memory. I probably used a small flat tip screwdiiver and a steady, patient hand.

Flat screw driver like the kind you use for glasses. Also used the awe in the same kit of small screw drivers. The awe was to hold the spring tension but I saw a you tube video where someone used a paperclip too. The screw driver kit looks like:

Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

VIP Member
    Thanks all. Off to Midwayusa.com....

OK... call me ignorant... but why do people change the springs in a S&W "J" frame?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    OK... call me ignorant... but why do people change the springs in a S&W "J" frame?
    OK. You're ignorant.
    That having been said you can just replace the trigger rebound spring with a lighter weight spring and leave the hammer spring at factory weight.
    By just doing that you'll not ever get any light primer strikes.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    For those that did the switch, what did you use for rebound slide tool? I've read reviews on Midway and on sites that the stock rebound slide tool (that thingy with the odd shaped tip) is too big for the j-frame. Do you have recommendations or work arounds?
    I used the Midway tool. I had to file the notch a bit so the pin would fit and a little of the OD of the tool to fit between the pin and the frame. Is it my imagination or do you have to mod nearly everything you buy to make it fit.

VIP Member

Went with Wolf and install the kit

Well after reading up I went with Wolf - 8 lb main spring and 13, 14 and 15 pound rebounds. I put the 8 pound main spring and 13 pound rebound in. I also order this doohickey:

Gunsmither Smithmaster Rebound Tool S&W Revolvers

And it made taking out and installing the rebound spring easy. I stoned the bearing surfaces of the rebound slide as well (but I didn't touch the hammer or trigger).

The pull is noticeably lighter, but I need to go to the range this weekend and try several types of ammo, including my carry stuff, to make sure I have proper ignition. If not I'll just put the stock hammer spring back in.

It's still a stiff trigger, but nothing like it was before. I'll report back after the range trip. If the combo works in my 637, and my shooting improves, I'll install a kit in my both of my 640's and my 642 - and test them out as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links