Walther PPQ

Walther PPQ

This is a discussion on Walther PPQ within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My oldest son bought a Walther PPQ (9mm) Thursday and we shot it today for the first time. This is the new model that has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Walther PPQ

Thumbs up Walther PPQ

My oldest son bought a Walther PPQ (9mm) Thursday and we shot it today for the first time. This is the new model that has the mag release button, not the European lever on the trigger guard.

I was very impressed with it. Sweet shooting gun. The trigger out of the box seems pretty lite to me but after a couple of mags, we were both getting used to it.

If I could change one thing, I think I would put some better sights on it. About the only thing I didn't like. I ordered some other gear for him and he plans to start shooting IDPA/USPSA matches with me. To me that's the best thing about that purchase :-)
    BritishAgent and Jeanlouise like this.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

I foolishly regret trading off the PPQ I had. That's one that I really wish I had back, but oh well.

This is clearly my opinion only, but out of all the striker guns I have ever owned or currently own...the PPQ was by far the best. Not only is the stock trigger pull far better than anything else I have felt, but what really sets the PPQ apart from the competition is the reset. It almost feels as good as the SRT reset on a Sig...notice I said "almost." That's pretty darn good for a striker fired pistol.

Enjoy that PPQ. You'd be hard pressed to find anything better in the same class of firearm.

VIP Member
    I carry a 9mm PPQ every day.

Mine has the lever for the mag release (I really prefer this feature over the button).

Excellent gun and fantastic trigger.
    .XX likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Walther PPQ

I originally bought a PPQ to replace my wife's p30... she loved the grip and controls of the P30, but could never get a handle on the DA/SA trigger.

I took the PPQ it to the range to play with it and ended up having to buy a second one - cuz she never got the first one back...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The PPQ is a fantastic little gun. Fine trigger, accurate, reasonable size. Make sure to play with the grip straps until you find one that fits. Wish they would put steel sights on it from the factory, but so far they work okay. I've managed to put some marks in them through rough handling, but they still hold in place. Holsters can be tough to find, but I believe that many P99 holsters also fit the PPQ.

I've come to like the lever mag release on the PPQ and my H&K.

Love my PPQ in .40. I carry it often, and also prefer the trigger-guard mag release versus the M2's button release, but I do love that they have one out now so more people can adopt it. The trigger is one of the best I've ever felt on -any- factory, non match, gun and it shoots tight. However, hands down the thing I love the most about it is the ergonomics and factory stippling. Fantastic.

Re: Walther PPQ

I really wanted to love the ppq. The rental I tried just was too slippery for my sweaty hands. I had an accidental double tap due to being used to a "worse" trigger. I forced myself to kep the trigger depressed until I was back on target. Worked awesome, but the grip was a deal breaker.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I bought a used PPQ Classic 9mm at the gun show yesterday. Put a few rounds through it today and it is great-love the trigger, the ergos are fabulous-this is going to be my next favorite gun. The G19 is
    still better in my opinion, but maybe just because I am used to it.

I have a PPQ first edition and they are sweet guns. The trigger is amazing and like others have said I highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Easily my favorite pistol on the market. I prefer the paddle release, but I traded mine when they put out the M2, because I want to be able to get two copies of the pistol and a lot of mags. I had over 5,500 rounds through mine with zero fails.
    Currently own: Beretta PX4 9mm, Glock 23 (Gen 4), Glock 19 (Gen 4) x2

Great shooter, great trigger, and uber reliable.

The sights are cheapo versions that are adjustable which earns points so that the ATF will classify them as something that can be imported. I replaced mine with some Dawson fiber optic sights which tightened up the groups a bit...

This is not a target gun, though. It is designed as a great defensive weapon, and as such I think it makes a great comp gun.

For those with smaller hands, the trigger guard mounted mag release allows the mags to be dropped without changing hand positions.

I have fat hands but my thumbs are just a bit too short to be able to reach the mag release buttons on standard 1911s.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Of all my handguns, the PPQ is my favorite. Unfortunately, it's too large for concealed carry for me. I OC it around the house and it is my first choice for a home defense gun.

For me, the trigger guard lever (mag release) was a deal breaker for me. Other than that, I loved that gun.

Now I hear they make new ones with a traditional button mag release.

Problem I have now, is all the reviews of people actually coming to prefer the trigger guard lever release once they got used to it.

So, now that I have a choice, I'm stuck determining which one to get. I just can't catch a break.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The button on the M2 is very well placed. Walther did a great job in the design of this mag release. It's the only button-release gun I have that I don't need to shift my grip to operate. I also have a P99 with the paddle release and I like both. The PPQ will be added to my carry rotation when the holster arrives.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

PPQ is also my favorite (haven't shot my new P229 SAS yet) and my EDC. Bought another for my son, and a 3rd to keep in the box as a spare just in case since there seemed to be shortage of the 9mm version for a large part of 2012.

Also love the paddle release, but I've had a few years for it to become second nature. The only slight inconvenience of the paddle release that I've found is that you can't reinsert a magazine while in a molded holster. That is rarely needed and not that big a deal, but might be for someone else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links