Looking for a 9mm for HD/CC any suggestions?

This is a discussion on Looking for a 9mm for HD/CC any suggestions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brother is looking for a 9mm he can use for home defense and concealed carried later on when he gets his ccw. He is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Looking for a 9mm for HD/CC any suggestions?

My brother is looking for a 9mm he can use for home defense and concealed carried later on when he gets his ccw. He is looking for suggestions for a compact that can also take full size magazines and perhaps have a rail for a flashlight. Any ideas for what he should try out at the range?

Thanks

What size magazines? "Full size" is a bit vague.

Any particular gun that's about the maximum size? "Compact" is a bit vague.

Assuming a Glock 26 9mm is about the largest he'd prefer: Glock 26 9mm; CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm; H&K P2000SK 9mm. Each of these sport a 10rd double-stack magazine. The P2000SK has rails; the 2075 doesn't, though the somewhat larger P-01 does.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 10th, 2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: error correction
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ruger LC9 is very compact, very good for deep conceal.

springfield armory xdm 3.8 compact 9mm. once i saw what this gun has to offer, it was a no brainer. and now that i've shot it (flawlessly), carried it with both the 13rnd and 19 rnd mag(in a remora w/half sweat shield) and both my wife and i use it for hd i couldn't imagine having another weapon. to me, it's the best out there. tell your friend to check it out.

I do believe the glock 26 is actually considered to be a subcompact although it will take "full size mags". I'd go with a glock 19 which will also accept higher capacity mags and the gen 3 and 4 has the rails to mount lights and lasers. Can't go wrong with the 19
    GhostMaker, rugerista and jcm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The G26 and P2000SK both have rails; the 2075 doesn't, though the somewhat larger P-01 does.
    no rails on the G26.

Quote Originally Posted by hek1620 View Post
    springfield armory xdm 3.8 compact 9mm. once i saw what this gun has to offer, it was a no brainer. and now that i've shot it (flawlessly), carried it with both the 13rnd and 19 rnd mag(in a remora w/half sweat shield) and both my wife and i use it for hd i couldn't imagine having another weapon. to me, it's the best out there. tell your friend to check it out.
    This would absolutely be my next choice, the xdm platform is excellent(I have one in a .40). The big reason I'd go with the glock over the xdm 9 is the 33 round mag you can get for the glock, that capacity is great at the range.

VIP Member
    Have him look at the CZ P-01 (14+1), or if he wants a poly frame gun, the P-07(16+1). Either one would work well for what he wants. Neither one will break the bank to buy.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GLOCK 19. 15 + 1 capacity and the ability to use GLOCK 17 magazines and even the GLOCK 18 magazine. Full size but not too big. Best damn combat/carry pistol out there.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I prefer to cc single stack pistols because they generally have a slimmer slide. This is the greatest contributor to IWB comfort. I would prefer a double stack 9mm for HD because I can have more rounds on hand without having to carry them (my HD gun is a .45).
    The G26 or 19 is hard to beat for an all purpose, one size fits most, gun. Glock is good for those who love it and those who don't know what to like. You definitely get mag capacity options and flawless function. IWB carry isn't the best.

I sometimes cc a CZ 75 compact. It is very comfortable because of its slim slide. It is incredibly accurate. With 14 rds, it is a good HD option as well. EAA makes reliable clones.
    Oh, you can also use full size CZ mags.

I trust my S & W model 39.......but I'm an old fart.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Of the guns I have experience with, I would suggest that you look at the Glock 19, the S&W M&P 9c, the Ruger SR9c, or the Beretta PX4 Compact.
    Last edited by Smilinswordsman; March 10th, 2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Darn you auto-correct.
    johnbergsing likes this.

glock 19, 26

GH
    A gun that caught my eye & my research has shown it to be a good one is the M&P 9C or 40C, the one I ordered & paid for. Both versions will take the full size M&P magazines. The M&P 40 can be converted to 9MM with a barrel change (simple drop-in) & a magazine or .357sig with just a barrel making it a versatile handgun. For the most part I believe that one should have a separate gun for each caliber but I wouldn't be able to afford it & I'd like the spare barrels in case of ammo shortages in particular calibers.

My second choice (was my first choice originally until I got a much better deal on M&Ps) is the Glock 23 .40 cal or in your case the G 19 9MM.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

First of all, what's his spending cap?

If its in the $600 range or lower, then my personal suggestion would be a BIG +1 for the CZ P07 9mm...or any other CZ for that matter. My P07 has been 100% reliable and I'm getting close to the 1000 round mark. Not bad for a gun that cost me around $459.

S&W M&P's are another great choice, but that comes from my personal experience.

The bottom line is...he needs to figure out his budget, then go to a gun shop that has a decent selection (good luck with that in this day and age) and take a good hard look at what's available. Maybe even shoot some rental guns if available.

$600 or under...M&P's, XD's, Glocks, CZ, Ruger...would be a good place to start.

Over $600...I would look at Walther, Beretta, H&K, Sig Sauer, Kahr...to name a few.

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links