Watch Your Local Walmart for Ammo

This is a discussion on Watch Your Local Walmart for Ammo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't really think about Walmart as an ammo source, although I'm there a couple times a week. I didn't even know they stocked it ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Watch Your Local Walmart for Ammo

I don't really think about Walmart as an ammo source, although I'm there a couple times a week. I didn't even know they stocked it until a few weeks ago.

Anyway, today I snagged 900 rounds of .45acp Winchester, 230 grain, FMJ at $40 per box of 100. Not cheap, but its cheap for todays prices.

For those of you, like me, who didn't know they carry it - keep an eye out.

Now if they had 9mm and 40 in stock...
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

2. Remove Ads

Almost every store in my neck of the woods still have buttloads of .45, its the .40 and 9mm I can't find.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Our local Walmart has been getting wwb .40 165gr for $35 /100. They were out for sometime but past week seems to be getting it in every few days. They have some .45 thats been sitting there some time. No 9mm anywhere. I need to find some 9 as my wife just got a 9 yesterday and we have been looking for weeks with no luck. I went yesterday to 6 different stores since I was in a larger area (Springfield IL) and had no luck.

Here they have had everything trickling in, it just depends on the day. One day they had 38,380,9,40 and 45 all in the cheap 100 round value packs... Some days they have none at all. Just depends

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I talked to the lady that runs the ammo desk at our Wal Mart. She told me that if they get ammo, they get it over night. They open at 7 am and if they have it out that's when they have it.

So, I was in the neighborhood where WM is (about 11 miles from home) at 7 the other day, so I went by. I got there at 7:05 and there were 15-20 people there. The aforementioned lady showed up a minute or two later and said they didn't get anything on the truck. Everybody left empty handed. It was such a sad sight that I almost expected them to play dirge music over the intercom.
    BugDude likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    I talked to the lady that runs the ammo desk at our Wal Mart. She told me that if they get ammo, they get it over night. They open at 7 am and if they have it out that's when they have it.

So, I was in the neighborhood where WM is (about 11 miles from home) at 7 the other day, so I went by. I got there at 7:05 and there were 15-20 people there. The aforementioned lady showed up a minute or two later and said they didn't get anything on the truck. Everybody left empty handed. It was such a sad sight that I almost expected them to play dirge music over the intercom.
    This seems like panic buying to me.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    Almost every store in my neck of the woods still have buttloads of .45, its the .40 and 9mm I can't find.
    What neck of the woods is that? Im looking for 45 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
    What neck of the woods is that? Im looking for 45 ACP.
    Just moved to Oregon, its like Ohio but with more rain...
    NONAME762 and Lightweb like this.

VIP Member

My kid works there and they put it right out as the trucks get unloaded so you never know what time it will get on the shelf.
    Buy it gets sold out in a matter of hours except for the 12ga where they got piles of it.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar

Makes Me Wonder

Why are some of you guys continuing to buy ammo from Walmart? I can understand it might be the only place for ample ammo for some areas. But buying there without checking the moms and pops gun stores first is very counterproductive. Companies like Walmart, Dicks Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain don't care about the 2nd Amendment. They are only there to make money. They will also change their agenda as a result of caving in to the anti-gun movement. It's better to stick to private gun stores that support the 2nd Amendment and will stick to their philosophies/views even when it hits the fan.
    Andy1031 likes this.

Stopped by yesterday, all they had were a few boxes of 20ga and .410...
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Why are some of you guys continuing to buy ammo from Walmart? I can understand it might be the only place for ample ammo for some areas. But buying there without checking the moms and pops gun stores first is very counterproductive. Companies like Walmart, Dicks Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain don't care about the 2nd Amendment. They are only there to make money. They will also change their agenda as a result of caving in to the anti-gun movement. It's better to stick to private gun stores that support the 2nd Amendment and will stick to their philosophies/views even when it hits the fan.
    Picked up ammo from Dick's at the same price I paid 6 months ago. My local "mom and pop shops" are charging $3-4 more than they were 6 months ago. Ammo is not a political statement for me, it is a way I train to keep up my skills. I will go where it is the cheapest.
    ScottM, Brig, Ksgunner and 1 others like this.

VIP Member

I don't purchase ammo from Wally World. I make my own! Just saying how they operate since my son works there and stocks the shelves.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Our Wally World puts ammo out at 07:00 am which really sucks because unless it shows up on the weekend I don't have a chance. I did luck out on Saturday and get three boxes in morning. They had bricks of 22 LR, a couple of 100 rd boxes of 45, some .40, .223, 9 mm, and 12 ga. It was as stocked as I had seen in a long time. I stopped by later in the afternoon, and it was all gone.

I'm glad I was stockpiling before this crap got out of control.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I only have one LGS within 30 miles of me. They don't have any guns or ammo in stock every time I go there.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links