Seeking input on first cc weapon

This is a discussion on Seeking input on first cc weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to this forum. Relatively new gun owner over the past six months. Currently have a Beretta 96A1 which I have been putting through the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking input on first cc weapon

New to this forum. Relatively new gun owner over the past six months. Currently have a Beretta 96A1 which I have been putting through the paces at the range.

Now I am considering a CC license and have narrowed my thoughts down to the Nano and Springfield XD Subcompact .40. The problem I have had is trying to find someone who has either in stock so I can check them out. I have been told that in the current ammo-deplotion period, it may be best to keep to a single caliber, thus leaning me towards the .40 XD.

Appreciate any and all thoughts.

Thanks!

John

VIP Member
    You should take a look at the Walther PPQ.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Given the availability of ammo, you may want to consider a slingshot, it is slightly more effective than throwing rocks.

But seriously, I like the idea of simplifying your ammunition inventory. As long as the XD Sub .40 meets your carry needs in terms of size, weight, concealment, handling and performance, the Springfield sounds like a logical choice. I've never fired the XD so I can't speak to how it handles but reviews seem positive and although I carry a 9mm I've gotten to actually prefer the .40 as the best compromise between a a .45 (to bulky heavy) and a .380 (lacks stopping power), assuming we're talking about semi-autos and not wheel guns. I think you're on the right track here.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

You carry whatever you feel comfortable with. It is a personal choice but all we can do is make suggestions.
    The XD in .40 is an excellent one

I have carried a Smith & Wesson 39-2 9mm, just under a 1911 frame (sadly it's gone, stolen)

Also a Rossi M-68 38spl 5 shot (it too was stolen) and carried my wife's Ruger LCP after I got her the LCR in .357 magum. (The LCP also stolen along with the other two pistols). My wife likes the LCR, it can shoot the massive .357 rounds but also .38spl and Plus P's. I would carry one if I could find one that isn't priced into the stratosphere.

I just bought a Taurus PT 790 slim 9mm and shot it today. It is a good carry piece, only drawback is that it is 7+one in chamber rounds but hey, like they tell me, you can't do the job with eight 9mm rounds you need some practice.

Maybe you can find a range that has some different firearms to rent and fire. That way you can get the feel of what you really need.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    You should take a look at the Walther PPQ.
    My only issue with the PPQ is that the backstrap is so thin, it's not comfortable in my hands. I wear a man's "large" glove. Also, did I hear something recently that the PPQ was no longer going to be available in the US? I may be mistaken on that.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO

I too am new to this forum and looking for a CC weapon. I have gone to my local range to shoot several guns. So check your range to see what they have to rent. I still have a few guns I want to test based on recommendations from fellow forum members. Below is a list I have shot and guns suggested I am going to try.

Shot

Glock26/27
    S&W M&Pc 9/40
    Springfield XDc 9/40
    Ruger SRc 9

Suggested

Walther PPQ
    Sig 250
    Beretta PX4c
    Kahr- various models

Good luck in your search. I am going to the range to test shoot some of the other guns this week. Hopefully I can decide so I can order one. Then the real test...finding ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Compa49 View Post
    I too am new to this forum and looking for a CC weapon. I have gone to my local range to shoot several guns. So check your range to see what they have to rent. I still have a few guns I want to test based on recommendations from fellow forum members. Below is a list I have shot and guns suggested I am going to try.

Shot

Glock26/27
    S&W M&Pc 9/40
    Springfield XDc 9/40
    Ruger SRc 9

Suggested

Walther PPQ
    Sig 250
    Beretta PX4c
    Kahr- various models

Good luck in your search. I am going to the range to test shoot some of the other guns this week. Hopefully I can decide so I can order one. Then the real test...finding ammo.
    Compa49, I EDC the M&P 9c and have put a lot of rounds though the Ruger SR9c. I find them to be like night and day to shoot. I was wondering what you felt about the two handguns. (Withholding my opinion for now)
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    My only issue with the PPQ is that the backstrap is so thin, it's not comfortable in my hands. I wear a man's "large" glove. Also, did I hear something recently that the PPQ was no longer going to be available in the US? I may be mistaken on that.
    Was it still too small after putting on the large backstrap?

Have you thought about adding pistol grip tape to make it more comfortable for you?

I have not heard about it not being available in the US. I do know the new model is the PPQ M2 and one of the changes is the elimination of the trigger lever for the mag release (a big mistake in my opinion).
    PPQ M2 | Walther Arms
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Was it still too small after putting on the large backstrap?

Have you thought about adding pistol grip tape to make it more comfortable for you?

I have not heard about it not being available in the US. I do know the new model is the PPQ M2 and one of the changes is the elimination of the trigger lever for the mag release (a big mistake in my opinion).
    PPQ M2 | Walther Arms
    The PPQ I shot was rented at a range, maybe there is a larger (fatter/wider) grip/backstrap available, but it wasn't on the pistol I shot. Also, people who are attracted to the PPQ typically are because of the thin profile (for better concealment) ...so a larger grip would defeat the purpose. I like a firearm that fits me and feels good from the factory, if I have to make a lot of additions or adjustments, I'll typically look for something different. As far as US availability, I simply heard that rumor (maybe at my gun range--can't remember). Like I said, I may have that wrong.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJF777 View Post
    New to this forum. Relatively new gun owner over the past six months. Currently have a Beretta 96A1 which I have been putting through the paces at the range.

Now I am considering a CC license and have narrowed my thoughts down to the Nano and Springfield XD Subcompact .40. The problem I have had is trying to find someone who has either in stock so I can check them out. I have been told that in the current ammo-deplotion period, it may be best to keep to a single caliber, thus leaning me towards the .40 XD.

Appreciate any and all thoughts.

Thanks!

John
    I recommend looking at Glock. They are not a pretty firearm but they are very simple and reliable. I have used a G27 for off duty carry for several years. For me it is a very accurate weapon. I had a Springfield XD sub compact in 40 S&W and hated it. It felt great in my hands but I could not shoot it. It did seem to be a very quality firearm.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Thanks for all the ideas. I will check the range and see what is available for rent.

A search here might help give you some ideas: Handgun Database search @ Genitron.com, ie Manufacturer=Any, Type=Pistol, Trigger=Any, Caliber=9 mm. You can sort the output by overall length, barrel length, weight.

Lots of good options, out there. Revolvers, in 2-3" bbl, heavier or lighter, in .38 and .357; semi-autos from all-steel to alum/scandium to composite/plastic, .380 to .44, of all sizes.

If wanting to go smaller than the Beretta, I might suggest some options: CZ 2075 RAMI, H&K P2000SK, Glock 26, S&W Shield, Kahr K9/P9/CW9/PM9, any of the third-generation compact S&W pistols (ie, 3900 series, such as the 3953), Bersa BP9, Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro, SIG 239, Colt New Agent, Colt Defender, etc.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Compa49 View Post

Shot

Glock26/27
    S&W M&Pc 9/40
    Springfield XDc 9/40
    Ruger SRc 9

Suggested

Walther PPQ
    Sig 250
    Beretta PX4c
    Kahr- various models

Good idea on the PX4C. It is one of my EDC carry guns, but to be honest, it is quickly losing its place to an HK P30S.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Thanks. Will check out the G27

JJF777.... my recommendation is to get the 'F' out of Illinois!!!
    Didnt think residents have a "permission slip" there to buy guns? Not sure.

Don't come to 'Communist' Colorado...we're getting screwed here too....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links