Sub Compact .40 Thoughts Welcome

This is a discussion on Sub Compact .40 Thoughts Welcome within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Ruger SR40c that I will likely be selling off once it is repaired, and wanted to know what your guys thoughts on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sub Compact .40 Thoughts Welcome

Sub Compact .40 Thoughts Welcome

I have a Ruger SR40c that I will likely be selling off once it is repaired, and wanted to know what your guys thoughts on the best .40 sub compact carry. I have an XDm 9mm Compact, and was hoping for something just a bit thinner and smaller. I also have a CM9 so I have a pocket pistol covered. I was hoping to find something in between and wanted to know what your thoughts on the Glock 27, M&P .40c, XDsc .40 are. Are they really much smaller than an XDm compact? Should I just get another XDm if I am happy with the first one?

2. Remove Ads

The G27 and the M&P40c are the best choices, the Shield in .40 is another option if you can find one. Please, whatever you do, don't buy a cheap subcompact like .40 like a Taurus 740.

I too have SR40C......

My choices in order of preference are....
    1) Shield
    2) G27 / G23
    3) M&P 40C
    4)CZ 75C
    5) Sig P250C
    **********6) Bersa Thunder UC PRO- Havent shot one but have heard great things about it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

+1 for the G27 PERFECTION
    Takeem406 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I would give a serious look at the Glock 27, the S&W Shield, or the M&P 40c. I love how XD's feel but I don't shoot them very good.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I too have SR40C......

My choices in order of preference are....
    1) Shield
    2) G27 / G23
    3) M&P 40C
    4)CZ 75C
    5) Sig P250C
    **********6) Bersa Thunder UC PRO- Havent shot one but have heard great things about it.
    Since I already have a CM9 I don't really need a tiny carry like the shield.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    Since I already have a CM9 I don't really need a tiny carry like the shield.
    Good point.... Out of curiosity what is your problem with the ruger
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

If I had to choose a compact .40 cal, I'd choose the M&P cuz I carry a FS M&P 40 they have great ergonomics. But to be a dissenting vote on the compact/subcompact thing, the .40 has a fairly snappy recoil that I personally find I handle best in a FS handgun. My follow-up shots are faster with the FS. That being said, many folks have no problem with the compact/subcompact .40's.
    NRA Life Member

I love my Gen4 G27. It has about 2500 rounds through it now, never has problems, eats every type and brand of ammo I've fed it, has worked great in several day training courses in the desert where all I do is take off the slide and blow the dust out of it at night, shoots great, is accurate, and conceals very well. I really couldn't ask for any more or better. It does take a little getting used to if you're coming from a larger pistol (less stock to grip, shorter sight radius), but within the first hundred rounds or so at the range it wasn't a problem at all. You can't go wrong with these little guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Good point.... Out of curiosity what is your problem with the ruger
    Nasty machining marks left on the gun and now I can't get the trigger to reset.

I'm looking forward to a Nano in .40 S&W.
    Boozehound likes this.

I have the Glock 27. Great gun, but it is not thinner than your XD9. For thin, you will probably be looking for a single stack magazine. It might be tough finding a thinner .40 S&W than a 9mm. The hole in the barrel is bigger, and the chamber pressures higher, so the metal can not be too thin. About the thinnest large caliber gun that I have personally handled was the XDS in .45acp. The chamber pressures are lower than the .40, so maybe that is how they did it.

Before buying anything, do a web search on the guns name + problems, failure, etc. If one or two sites state a problem it could just be a small problem with a gun or two. If there are several sites, maybe rethink that purchase. I personally could not recommend the Beretta Nano.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    I have the Glock 27. Great gun, but it is not thinner than your XD9. For thin, you will probably be looking for a single stack magazine.
    Not entirely true, check out where Hickok measures these:

Springfield XDm 9 3.8 Comparison - YouTube

Re: Sub Compact .40 Thoughts Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodz View Post
    +1 for the G27 PERFECTION
    I LOVE mine! It's snappy but if you have good form and use a rubber sleeve it works great! Put a 3.5 pound connector in it and wow! I sold my XDM and bought a Glock 23c to pair with my 27!

I carry my 27 in a Crossbreed. The only problem is they are a double stack but most of time I wear western button up shirts untucked or hoodies. At church I tuck my shirt in and cover it with my suit jacket.

In God and Glock we Trust
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    Not entirely true, check out where Hickok measures these:

Springfield XDm 9 3.8 Comparison - YouTube
    When I looked at the XD9 at the gun store, I laid it flat next to a Glock 26 on a counter with the top of the slides facing each other, and looked at them from the side. I did not see a noticeable difference. Using calipers, it depends where you measure. Some have thinner slides, but thicker bodies. If the OP main feature is having a thinner gun, maybe a Walther PPS would be better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links