Who carries a 10mm? And what pistol and load?

This is a discussion on Who carries a 10mm? And what pistol and load? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at a new Glock 29sf for $575. My local gun shop always carries 10mm, so no problem with ammo. What ammo ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Who carries a 10mm? And what pistol and load?

I have been looking at a new Glock 29sf for $575.
    My local gun shop always carries 10mm, so no problem with ammo.
    What ammo does one suggest?
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    One day you will be asked to make the ultimate sacrafice for your country, freedom and liberty. Give only blood.

- Retired Army Major in 1976- My Grandpa

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    On occasion I carry a Colt Delta Elite in 10MM, ammo has been Mag-Tech 180gr.

DE_3.JPG DE_4.JPG
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

just a qustion

I was wondering why you choose to carry a 10mm vs a 45? they seem to about the same round to me from what i have read.

i've been carrying a Glock 20 for about 3 months, stoked with 15 rounds of 180 gr Buffalo Bore JHP & an extra mag of same. It's a lot of gun to CC but I'm a pretty good sized fellow. Should be interesting this summer???? and have been looking at the same G29sf for then. I'm reasonably confident that with an 870 in the safe room, stoked with 00, and the G20 as a "backup"...someone (bg(s))will pay dearly to gain access to that room.

I carried a glock 29 for about 6 months I just stuck to whatever federal had out at the time. that was a hell of a gun, I was just scared that if I ever had to use it I would accidently kill someone 10 miles away in my path. (slightly exaggerated) but you get the picture

I'm on the prowl for a Glock 20, and have started picking up ammo and accessories where I can find it (10mm isn't common here). From my research, it seems 165-185gr is a good place to start for SD loads. I'm going to start with some Winchester 175gr silver tips that look good on paper at least (though I have also read ballistics being over state) and plan on trying to get ahold of some underwood xtps. I have some 200gr hardcast from doubletap for the woods. Please post back with whatever you find works for you, I'd be interested to hear.

I carry one while backpacking. From what I've seen most regular store bought 10mm ammo is pretty weak for the cartridge and loaded way under spec so you may as well carry a 40 S&W. However, if you do a good search you can find proper strength 10mm ammo (Buffalo, Underwood) and actually make it worth your while.

Oh, and it's a Glock 29SF with the pearce pinky extension (+0) for the mag, which IMO is pretty essential for a decent grip. Firing it is like holding a 2x4 and having someone hit it with a hammer. It is not a fun gun to shoot but it definitely packs a decent punch.

VIP Member
    I occasionally carry a Smith and Wesson 1006. It's loaded with 200 grain Hornady XTP.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Colt delta elite with double tap. 200 grain, over 700 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.
    msgt/ret and bmcgilvray like this.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Glock 29 SF + Hornady 155 gr. XTP @ 1,278 fps = my 10mm carry combo.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by michael57231 View Post
    I was wondering why you choose to carry a 10mm vs a 45? they seem to about the same round to me from what i have read.

Muzzle energy-wise the best / top 45acp loading will only equal a low to mid range loading of a 10mm. Again muzzle energy-wise a properly loaded 10mm round will be between a .357mag and .41mag. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I hope this helps. God Bless

VIP Member
    Glock 20sf loaded with Buffalo Bore riding in a IWB Milt Sparks watchsix holster and if in cool weather in a Safariland pancake holster with retention snap for OWB. But latley I got a MIC trigger cover in kydex. That and a Pachmyer rubber grip adapter has proven a great way for me to carry also. I agree with another post that most 10mm ammo that's out there is abt the same as 40SW. If I had things to do all over I would have got a Glock 21sf to shoot 45ACP for defense and got a 10 conversion barrel for it. Anyway I will keep what I have and either get a 21 down the road or get a 40 conversion barrel for my 10mm.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Muzzle energy-wise the best / top 45acp loading will only equal a low to mid range loading of a 10mm. Again muzzle energy-wise a properly loaded 10mm round will be between a .357mag and .41mag. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I hope this helps. God Bless
    I believe this is correct. More or less the difference between a .380 an a 9mm. I have the G29SF, lots of power.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I carried a 10mm off and on for about 8 years, mostly as my outdoors gun.

Shot everything from the available Winchester Silvertips, to Double Taps superb 165 gr. Gold Dots.

These days I'm a big fan of the DT TAC-XP that are the BARNES solid copper hollow-point.

However, even though I think the DT 155 TAC-XP load would be ideal for human defense.

I'd like something
    heavier for animals like the double Tap hard cast or from others like Buffalo Bore.

DoubleTap Ammunition
    I never encountered a Bear or such but always felt confident with the DT 180 Gr. Gold Dots, or 200 gr. Hornady XTPs.

One interesting 10mm load is the 165 gr. Equalizer. TWO projectiles out of the same case!

DoubleTap Ammunition

So, basically.. most factory 10mm stuff is watered down until you get into what people call :Boutique Ammo.

DT, Buff Bore and others that take the 10mm to it's real potential.

If I lived in Alaska, I'd carry a Glock 10mm.

I sold about 650 rounds of hot 10mm reloads to a guy last year..he was super pleased with the deal.

That was years of me reloading and experimenting with what remains to be a very powerful and
    accurate cartridge.

You have a great gun , so have some fun finding and playing around with the variety of 10mm fodder on the market.

KEV
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Me! Me! I carry a 10mm! No... Wait. It's only a .40 :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links