Glock 17 or 19

This is a discussion on Glock 17 or 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any differences between the 2, besides overall size? I'm leaning towards the 17, because it'll be primarily for home defense and range days. Maybe CC ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Glock 17 or 19

Glock 17 or 19

Any differences between the 2, besides overall size? I'm leaning towards the 17, because it'll be primarily for home defense and range days. Maybe CC every once in a while, but I don't really want the compact. I like the look of the full size 17 way more. But I heard the 19 can take all sorts of magazines or something? Any other things I'd miss out on if I don't get the 19?

2. Remove Ads

Get both. I'm not kidding. As far as carry or home defense, either is great. The 19 carries a bit better, but only due to the shorter grip.

I'll repeat myself: Get both.

dont get either one. get a glock 23 and a glock 22!
    mkh likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I own a G17 and it is a great gun, in fact it is sitting about 24 inches from my left elbow right now. I love shooting it - it is accurate, the recoil is very manageable, it is easy to clean, it eats any ammo you put in it, and it will hold 17 rounds in the magazine. With all of this said, it is not a great carry gun because of the size. I use mine for HD and range days. I carry a Kahr PM9 which is a very different weapon meant for a very different purpose. If you want to carry, I recommend the G19. If you want a great range and home gun, it is hard to go wrong with the G17.
    GhostMaker likes this.

Glock 17 or 19

If your not really going to carry, the 17 would be my choice. I carry a lot and opted to go with the 19.

But for range time, I will take the 17 anyday

I think the question is if you would be comfortable carrying a G17 as opposed to something slightly smaller.

Personally I have a G19 since it's the most applicable for most occasions. Small enough to carry but big enough to still have fun with and use for events. Overall versatility.

I used to own a 22, it is great for HD or OC but is really big to CC. I'd go with the 19 (or 23/32), you get a 4 inch barrel, a rail, it is reasonably concealable and if you need the capacity you can still use the 17s mags and they make grip spacers for comfort. I'm currently looking for full size 22 mags for my 27 as a backup to keep in the center console.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I've owned both the G22 and G23, same gun as the G19/17 only in .40; I much prefer the G19/23 sized platform and ergonomics. You need to shoot both and see which fits you better. The shorter framed Glocks will take the larger's magazine, so a G19 will take the G17's mag and the G26 will take the G17 and G19 mag as well; all three with accept the G18's 33 rd. magazine.
    GhostMaker likes this.

I agree get both, I carry a Glock 19 and I want it's big brother. I would not object to carrying a 17. Both great guns, get both.

I disagree with those saying to get both the 17 and 19. First, that is an expensive proposition for most. Secondly, if you are going buy two, get a 17 and a 26. That would give you a full size and a subcompact frame.
    Taurahe and ejes like this.

The difference between the 19 and the 17 is 2.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

If you must limit yourself to one and only one pistol I would vote for the G19. You get a great range gun, comfortable to shoot as long as you want, and a tolerable carry weapon.

I vote for the 19 as well! I have skinny fingers, but large hands and my pinky does not hang of the edge of the grip, it is very comfortable to shoot and very accurate! It also carries very well! As for the magazines: the 19 will accept both 17 and 15 round m mags, with a little sticking out of the grip. Overall it is a great HD and range gun, as well as a carry gun. I own one myself.
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I never liked the 17 until I shot one and then I bought one. If you plan to carry more then you might lean towards the 19 but the 17 can still be carried.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

The 19 does everything the 17 does and is a bit easier to conceal.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links