Kahr MK9 spare magazine loosing rounds while carrying - ideas?

This is a discussion on Kahr MK9 spare magazine loosing rounds while carrying - ideas? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carried my MK9 all day today for the first time. When I was going through my pockets when I got back to the office ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By gottabkiddin
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Kahr MK9 spare magazine loosing rounds while carrying - ideas?

I carried my MK9 all day today for the first time. When I was going through my pockets when I got back to the office I had 2 loose rounds in my pocket. Then when I put my magazine back in my pocket another fell out of it.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I have also noticed that the top round in the magazine tips up from where the rest lay inside. I am guessing this is by design and has something to do with feeding? It may also be the source of the rounds popping out though.

2. Remove Ads

The PM/MK mags do that. It's a poor design in my opinion. I dont really have a solution for you other than using an open top mag pouch with a little friction retention. Keep most of the pressure off of that top round. I usually dont carry an extra mag with my PM9.

I got my MK9 a month ago and carry it everyday in a DeSantis cozy partner IWB holster and it is perfect for me , no problems at all. I also carry an extra loaded mag on my left side, upside down in a leatherman tool belt case, it's very inconspicuous. Never once had a round come loose. Are you carrying the mag loose in your pocket ? If so, you may want to store it in something.

You will need to keep that spare mag in a snug mag pouch of some kind, preferably upside down, to keep that from happening.
    ron54 and ccw9mm like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    This is a common problem with all Kahr magazines due to the nose-up design. There seems to be better success with mag pouches that have an angular bottom that matches the mag contour. Aftermarket mag such as ProMag do not have the same problem. You may want to test one of these.

Yup, the Kahr mags are the only ones that I have ever had it happen with. To be fair though; carrying a open mag in the pocket where Lint and junk can get inside the mag and possibly effect its reliability is a bad idea.. Always use a pocket mag carrier.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

As everyone told you this is normal, it used to happen with my kahr pm9, this reminds me how much I hated that gun. Like they said, keep it snug and it wont be able to wiggle out of there

Never happened with my Kahr PM9's or P380's. But then, I always carried spare mags in mag holders. Worked very well, in that regard. Kept them much cleaner. Kept them bottoms up, so I could grab them confidently knowing I had the "right" end. All sorts of benefits.
    ron54 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    As everyone told you this is normal, it used to happen with my kahr pm9, this reminds me how much I hated that gun. Like they said, keep it snug and it wont be able to wiggle out of there
    I had the same issue, it was one of the reasons I got rid of my Kahr PM9 and CM9. That and the pistol would frequently have nose-dive malfunctions with the spare mag. I suspect it was the same issue. I have heard of some people pinching the mag lips tighter to resolve some of the issues.

Other pistols like the M&P shield simply don't do this, the mags are tight and can be relied on. I just didn't want to have to worry about improperly seated rounds if it ever came down to having to change a mag in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    I had the same issue, it was one of the reasons I got rid of my Kahr PM9 and CM9. That and the pistol would frequently have nose-dive malfunctions with the spare mag. I suspect it was the same issue. I have heard of some people pinching the mag lips tighter to resolve some of the issues.
    I always wondered why Kahr never did simply go to Glock to have them design a high-quality magazine for them. Kahr doesn't seem to have it in themselves to accomplish it, sadly. (Never did get a handful of them to work reliably well, all with similar issues.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links