I need suggestions! Gun for carry with similar ergonomics to the Ruger SR22

This is a discussion on I need suggestions! Gun for carry with similar ergonomics to the Ruger SR22 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been hoping to get my wife excited about a handgun for quite some time. I thought I could get her interested in the M&P ...

Thread: I need suggestions! Gun for carry with similar ergonomics to the Ruger SR22

Sponsor

I've been hoping to get my wife excited about a handgun for quite some time. I thought I could get her interested in the M&P 9c, no luck yet. I let her hold my ruger SR22...and she loved it. The good news is that she is actually excited to go shoot it. The bad news is that she says "this gun is perfect, why can't I carry this?".

So, is there a gun with similar ergonomics to the SR22 in a more powerful round? The first thing that comes to mind is the PK380, but I haven't held one in quite some time so I'm not sure.

Thanks for your advice!

-Clay

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Possibly the SR9c?
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

The SIG P232 .380ACP might be worth trying out. While not composite and all curvy on the ergonomics, it's one that feels wonderful in the hands. All-steel design.

The Kahr K9 might also be just the ticket. Extremely good ergonomics. 9mm. Heavier than the composite alternatives on the market (@ ~25oz), but that very feature helps tame recoil and "snap" even on hotter rounds.

Here's a search tool, to help finding some possible alternatives: Handgun Database search @ Genitron.com.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would have to second an SR9C or the 40C. It feels great in the hand IMO much better than glocks. Kind of surprised she didnt like the M&P9C
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Sponsor
    Her main issue with the MP9c was its weight. The Kahr P9 may be a good option, or possibly the K9 (she won't like the weight, but it should make it a softer shooter).

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Her main issue with the MP9c was its weight. The Kahr P9 may be a good option, or possibly the K9 (she won't like the weight, but it should make it a softer shooter).
    If weight is a concern have her check out the LC9 from Ruger. My wife tried out several pistols a few weeks back and found she liked it the best. I have been very surprised at the accuracy of this little pistol.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I dont know about ergonomics similar to the SR22, but as far as lightweight 9mm's go, I loved my Kahr cm9, and the Beretta Nano is highly approved of as well. My cm9 was super accurate, fairly easy to handle, and disappeared easily. The only issue with the cm9 is the incredibly stiff slide. It requires good grip strength, proper technique and a good shove to rack the slide, hence why some do not like it. I have not shot a NANO and cannot comment personally on it. I have shot a SIG 232, and while it wasnt my cup of tea, it was a pretty sweet gun. It was roughly the same size as an M&P9C, but significantly lighter. Taurus makes the 709 slim, a subcompact 9mm, but being a taurus I would never recommend it for CC. Their QC is just not up to par IMO. Also, if you can find one, an M&P shield may be the ticket. It has a thinner grip like the SR22, and is a very compact and easy shooting weapon. It would be my first choice if I could find one.

oooh...... I almost forgot, the Ruger LC9, same ergo's as the SR9 and 40 compacts, but much smallerand compact.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

The Walther P22 is really close to the Ruger SR22. and the PK380 is really close to the P22. I think is weighs just a little more. My wife looked at both and nearly bought the P22. Ended up with a Ruger LC380. She really likes it! Easy to shoot and she has no trouble racking the slide.

Kahr PM9/CM9, perhaps. While a Kahr PM9/CM9 might seem a bit small, and it certainly doesn't have the same palm-fitting, curved ergonomics of the SR22, in somewhat smaller hands it can feel quite nice. Particularly easy to control (for a mouse gun) with the pinkie-extension floor plates on the magazines. Loved the handling, on my several PM9's. Being so small, it's far snappier than many other guns, though I found it nearly as accurate (within ~7yds) as most of my full-sized other guns. 9mm. And if lightweight is serious criterion, they're hard to beat in that category.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links