New poster with new gun looking for input

This is a discussion on New poster with new gun looking for input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been a CCP holder for roughly 20 years, carrying a Glock 27 for the last 10 or so. My only previous experience with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New poster with new gun looking for input

New poster with new gun looking for input

I've been a CCP holder for roughly 20 years, carrying a Glock 27 for the last 10 or so. My only previous experience with a .45ACP gun was a Glock 36 which I didn't like much. Today I took the plunge and bought another .45, the Kimber Super Carry Pro. Being new to carrying a 1911 style and new to the Kimber I was hoping maybe some folks with experience would be willing to share info about the Kimber in particular and any relevant thoughts to carrying concealed with this type of gun. Seriously thinking about switching from the Glock to the Kimber as my carry gun. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Welcome from Memphis.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Welcome. Kimber is a up classed factory gun, a lot of the 1911 guys frown on them.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member
    I really want that same gun. Great looking, and I have heard nothing but good things about it. Welcome from the great state of Texas. We're glad you are here. Let us know if you decide on the Kimber how you like it.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

welcome from an ex Memphian. Central High, class of '66. Lost in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin. Good luck with your question.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    my experience kimber is very picky about the magazines it uses.. I had to run a couple hundred rounds for breakin before it quit having FTF trouble been realiable ever since.. I usually don't carry my kimber unless I dress around it (too big) in the winter months.. My colt is smaller easier to carry same 1911 style (locked and cocked in the waist band at 3:00kimber 1911 small.jpg
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Re: New poster with new gun looking for input

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Welcome. Kimber is a up classed factory gun, a lot of the 1911 guys frown on them.
    How come?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Colt with shtf holster.jpg The super carry will probalby be same size as colt, which is becoming one of my favorite EDC.. get a good hoslter: crossbreed (6-8 weeks) or SHTF (1-2 week) delivery. Was a true cross breed fan until I won this holster almost identical except the SHTF has thicker leather, cheaper, quicker delivery time and better belt clips...squeked for a couple dys when I fist started carry with it. the super carry should be small enough for EDC.. great gun shoot my buddies with crimson trace..
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Any particular reason they frown on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    A lady friend has the Kimber in 9mm and she has let me shoot it quite a bit, I was very impressed with it and wanted a Kimber of my own. Other than hearing good things about it "word of mouth" I'm not knowledgeable on 1911's in general and specifically not as carry guns so any input pro or con would be appreciated.

VIP Member
    Howdy from Ohio...good to have you in the house! both are sweet shooters...you can't go wrong. you'll get a lot of different, yet experienced opinions on here.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Wisconsin>

( that's me frowning at my 3 kimber 1911's)
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

The commander size (pro for kimber), with a bobtail is an excellent firearm. Sometimes the 3" models can be a little more finicky, and a lot of people view the commander length guns to be the best blend of concealability and reliability. They can be a little picky on magazines, I recommend wilson combat, tripps, or the kimpro tac mags. You have an excellent weapon in that kimber. I have 2 and both of my kimbers have been excellent.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Re: New poster with new gun looking for input

Welcome from Richmond, VA....

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Any thoughts you say? Let me think (I'm a guy who sold three Kimbers and now has 6 Glocks)...Mmmmm... OK, I'm done thinking now, you be back to Glock in no time...you'll see.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife's 1911 is a Kimber Super Carry Ultra, the same as yours without the bobtail. It is a fantastic pistol and has never given me problem one. The aluminum frame makes it very easy to carry. When I carry it, it is in a Galco OWB holster. It conceals nicely with an untucked shirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links