Rock Island 1911 Questions

This is a discussion on Rock Island 1911 Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any experience or own a Rock Island 1911? Found one for sale has had some custom work done on it slide job, trigger ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rock Island 1911 Questions

Anyone have any experience or own a Rock Island 1911? Found one for sale has had some custom work done on it slide job, trigger and bobbed. Trigger is crisp, fit it tight, locks up solidly seems like a decent gun. Seems like a solid well made gun but know nothing about Rock Island guns, the quality of their parts workmanship or customer service so any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Rock Island Armory 1911 series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...before the obamaboom, they sold for 3-400 less than other 1911s...my chief worry would be where service is done and how parts are obtained...have read lots of good reports about them on the forums...

Administrator
    How good of a price can you get it for? Some of the internal parts may have been upgraded already in that gun.

The frames are high quality castings rather than being forged. Not really a problem with a firearm in .45 acp.

The slides are forged from bar stock.

The barrel is hammer forged.

MIM (metal injected molded) parts would be:

slide stop - I would absolutely swap this part out for a better quality part like an Ed Brown.

plunger tube - not a problem in MIM

sear - 50/50 - I would probably buy pre-mated high quality hammer and sear combo.

disconnector
    - Not usually a problem but, I would install a COLT factory disconnector

ejector - usually not a problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Obviously now I need to add Hammer & Thumb Safety to the M.I.M. list.

I really like mine. The grip safety spring on mine lost tension after a few hundred rounds, so I attempted to take it apart to tweak that. Well, the cast ambi thumb safety broke during disassembly, so I just went and ordered a Wilson thumb safety and Bulletproof sear spring. I dropped it off at my hometown LGS to have the safety fitted a few weeks ago, but I haven't been home to see it since then.

I'm a poor college student, so I bought mine with the intent of gradually building something I want from a solid base gun, so this issue really didn't bother me since the ambi safety was going to be the first thing to go.
    QKShooter likes this.

Administrator
    Many gun folks used to buy them for the slide and frame AKA as a base gun to do a custom build.

For awhile there some of the RI barrels were short chambered and/or tight chambered and that caused some function issues in the past with some ammo brands but, I believe that is no longer the case.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    How good of a price can you get it for?
    Asking $450 probably get it for $400. Thanks for the input. My dilemma is I have been planning on a XDS. Not sure if I can get both.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Sponsor
    Will this be your first 1911?(if not you can stop reading this)

I ask because it will definitely not be your only 1911.

1911's are like tattoos; Don't get the first one if you can't afford the rest of the collection!

At $400.00 I'd pop on the RIA myself but I'm not a fan of the XD pistols to start.
    Diddle likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I have a Rock Island 45cal that I have been shooting for almost 10 years. Only thing I have changed is the stock grips to a Hogue grip. Now, I haven't shot 10 thousands rounds through it but, its had it's fair share plus a few. I break it down, examine the wearing parts(nothing replaced to date), oil it up with CLP, re-assemble it, service check it, load it and holster it. Never had a problem with it!

I would buy it, but I'm lookin for a 4" carry gun now.

I was in the same boat about 3 weeks ago, I bought the xds but I plan on buying the RIA
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

I've had 2 RIA 1911's, the full size 1911-A1-FS and the compact 1911-A1-CS. Both were completely reliable out of the box. I had my misgivings at first, but they were quickly put to bed. Both were under $500. You can't beat that. The only complaint I had was with the finish. A little rough around the edges, but what do you expect for under $500? I say RIA 1911's are a steal. You can't go wrong.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Want to thank everyone for their replies. You have me sold, I got the XDs and set aside the cash for the Rock Island. Unfortunately it appears that I snoozed. At least the seller is not getting back to me. But now I know, if another comes up I will not hesitate. Again thank you for your input gentlemen, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Will this be your first 1911?(if not you can stop reading this)

I ask because it will definitely not be your only 1911.

1911's are like tattoos; Don't get the first one if you can't afford the rest of the collection!

At $400.00 I'd pop on the RIA myself but I'm not a fan of the XD pistols to start.
    No, got my first, way back in 1973, from my dad. It was his WWII/Korean war issue 1911.That thing rattled and at twenty feet shot feet off POA , seriously. Feet not inches. Never imagining that 1911 gunsmiths could produce the reliable accurate 1911 we have today. To young to appreciate what an incredible piece of American and family history I had. I sold it. That is one few thing I truly regret having done in my life.

I love my XD's. Best carry guns I have ever had. Can not wait until I put this little XDs through its paces and have a holster made so I can make it my new EDC. Especially with summer looming just around the corner. With the extended mag 7 rounds of .45 HST in what is nearly a pocket pistol whats not to love?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Mine has been in the shop longer than I've had it. The MIM safety snapped off, which I didn't really mind since I hated the one that came with it, the gun loosened up so much that the gun functioned without the grip safety being held, and the other day when I was checking function after installing a new safety and sear spring, the hammer broke off! That really annoyed me. It is on its way back to Nevada for a month while they deal with that. They're doing right by me, and I really like the pistol when it works, but I will steer clear of any additional RIA products from now on unless I wanted a gun for a donor frame where I replaced everything else.

IMG_1748.jpgIMG_1747.jpg

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    As I understand there varying degrees of quality on the RIAs. I think however if you get a good one that performs well from the start you are probably good to go. At $400.00 I would not hesitate to try one and have low expectations. If it works out then all is good.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I carry one daily , and would buy another the Customer service is very, very good, lifetime warranty regardless of if you're the buyer-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links