Sig P938 No Problems

This is a discussion on Sig P938 No Problems within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Sig P938 Extreme after reading about all of the problems owners had been having because I figured Sig had all the kinks ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Sig P938 No Problems

Sig P938 No Problems

I bought a Sig P938 Extreme after reading about all of the problems owners had been having because I figured Sig had all the kinks out by now. I read where they wouldn't fire anything but 124 grain and the grip screws would fall out and that the gun would not eject the last round in the magazine. My 938 was made in Jan 2013 and I took it to the range yesterday with fingers crossed. I took it out of the case and did not break it down to clean and lube it. I shot 2 different brands of 115 grain ammo which is not supposed to work at all and never had one problem. The grip screws were still tight and not about to fall out when I finished shooting as had been previously reported. I love this little 9mm and it is now my EDC. The only thing that I did find that still is a small problem is that the 6 round mag is a pita to load. This is my 4th Sig and I had faith they would get the bugs out. If you want a small well made gun for carry this is a Rolex compared to others when it comes to fit and finish and great performance with night sights that you can actually use.

2. Remove Ads

The latest issue of "Gun tests" magazine just tested the 938 and gave it a big fat "F" for all the problems they had with it. They had liked an earlier gun that they tested when it first came out and liked it, but failed this one with a myriad of problems. All of the testers said they wouldn't carry the gun for self defense it was so unreliable. One of the guys at our gun range bought one because he loved the size and feel, kept it about 2 weeks, sold it and bought a new XDs for the same reasons.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I feel that most small pistol problems are owner and ammo related.
    DaveInEdmonds and ironmike86 like this.

So you have a pistol that has a reputation for reliability problems, went to the range and tried two different loads in the same 115gr bullet weight, declared it functional, and now it's your EDC? You may want to tap the brakes a little before you are positive it's reliable, especially in a 1911 platform with tight tolerances and timing. Personally, I wouldn't consider it reliable and ready for carry until I have a minimum of 250 trouble free rounds of JHP carry ammo downrange. 9mm ball fmj ammo may feed very reliably, but you should really make sure that defensively ammo functions flawlessly before you decide to carry it as your EDC.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Sig P938 No Problems

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    I feel that most small pistol problems are owner and ammo related.
    I agree with you. The small pistols are not idiot proof. Junk ammo and a limp wrist cause a lot of the problems. I have read where a lot of people sent them back only for Sig to not find any problem with their pistol.

Mine has been flawless since the first 100 rounds.

Enjoy it!! My wife has one and she has put at least 500 rounds through it in the last couple weekends and has not had a single hiccup, 115 grain fmj to 124 JHP, factory ammo to reloads, she loves the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    Enjoy it!! My wife has one and she has put at least 500 rounds through it in the last couple weekends and has not had a single hiccup, 115 grain fmj to 124 JHP, factory ammo to reloads, she loves the thing.
    I'm in this same camp. I have an Extreme and have to say it's everything I hoped it would be, in a small, accurate, easy to carry handgun. Definately a winner. The only downer is that, as others have mentioned, loading those magazines to full capacity will test your thumbs! My solution was to use my UpLula!

I just ordered the extreme to replace my 238 which has been a flawless gun hope it is operator error.

She has the 938 Blackout and the 238 Pearl and loves them both, I really like them too, some times I try to talk her into taking my shield for the 938 but no dice.

I've got two P938 and both have been flawless.

Get yourself some 7 round mags for it...it will improve the grip quite a bit.

Sig P938 bi-tone.jpg
    candalos likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Sig P938 No Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    So you have a pistol that has a reputation for reliability problems, went to the range and tried two different loads in the same 115gr bullet weight, declared it functional, and now it's your EDC? You may want to tap the brakes a little before you are positive it's reliable, especially in a 1911 platform with tight tolerances and timing. Personally, I wouldn't consider it reliable and ready for carry until I have a minimum of 250 trouble free rounds of JHP carry ammo downrange. 9mm ball fmj ammo may feed very reliably, but you should really make sure that defensively ammo functions flawlessly before you decide to carry it as your EDC.
    I have been shooting most all my 62 years and have never heard of breaking in a gun before it will work until getting on the gun forums and reading what the self proclaimed gun experts have decided is correct. Now if you got a cheap gun such as a KelTec you might should worry. If a gun can't be counted on out of the box it is pretty much cheap junk to start with. Then again there are a lot of people that can never figure out how the small autos shoot and I guess it would take them 250 rounds for someone to explain limp wrist. I really find it amusing to watch the self proclaimed experts" what if" each other to death on the web gun forums.

EMH
    Man I want one of these in the Extreme or SAS version. If you had the choice, which one would you pick?

Got the Extreme less than a month after it hit the market and had all of the problems mentioned, and more. It didn't matter which experienced shooter shot the gun. Tried it with 6 different kinds of ammo. It was just never reliable enough to carry. I'm waiting for a replacement grip screw to come in the mail now; after that it will be traded or sold. I sure wish it ran as good as my P238, but it just doesn't.

Glad to hear you had better luck than I did. Next time, I'll wait until a new model has been out a while longer before buying.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Sig P938 No Problems

I want a "nightmare" edition of this pistol so bad I can taste it ;)

I'm not the doom and gloom type either. I purchased a p226 in Jan and when I got it home the mag release popped out. There was some dmg to the frame I hadn't noticed (it was a new in box, but the date was from 2011).

I called sig and they replaced it.

So I'm not overly concerned that there is a major design flaw, rather they are having some QC issues with a new gun. Of course I'm also the guy that works on his own guns so I have fixed some issues in the past.

So if you have a nightmare p938 and don't wanna "risk it" let me know ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links